Your Favorite? Vid-chat. Play by Post. Table top, face/face.

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

Shao Khan
Freeman
Freeman

Your Favorite? Vid-chat. Play by Post. Table top, face/face.

Post by Shao Khan »

Video-chat/skype, tabletop, play by post forums.

What do you prefer and why?

Personally, I most def like tabletop face to face games better than most online formats. I can't do anything live or streaming due to only 10g/month allowance atm.

But they've all 3 got some unique payoffs.

Live I can read facial cues, move fast as hell, and story tell in my best habitat. A couple times it was more like a LARP game. I feed off their emotions (that didn't sound rightImage)
As players we're friends of course so we share alot of great extra info. But with that can come drama, personal feelings, and some in your face reality.

Online you can't believe what anyone tells you anyway. They can fly around with total anonymity and say what they want and not have to physically back it up (that bothers me somedays). And like a song on the radio my mental pictures of you guys is probably much different than the truth. Most of you look like stick ppl in my head, except the one guy. I envision him more as a unicorn that poops skittles.

Good news I appreciate some of the artistic writing that happens (kind of a dying art-form in the wake of texting and hashtags), the hermit in me likes the separated safe feeling of being at home alone in my bunny slippers. And being able to just "Turn Off" anything is always a bonus!!

I assume everyone playing at home is all virtual maps on their laptops or phones or whatever. So graphics can go either way.

Not to promote another site but I just noticed the abilities of crases58's roll20.com site. It has an innovative script run virtual tabletop. I love that concept, it does so many useful functions is what it is. That's some next level shit rite there. It does almost everything a DM needs, you can use it as a tool from here, there, or home.

Anyone like one system over the other or some facet that is of particular note?
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Re: Your Favorite? Vid-chat. Play by Post. Table top, face/f

Post by Cole »

Sure ...table top for me only really. Like yourself, as the DM, I feed off my players, the more angry or excited they get and the better they RP, the better I DM. I've actually developed tons of unique voices and accents for my NPC's and when my players are cracking... I'm switching npcs and laying the vocabulary smack down like no tomorrow. I think that's my strongest quality as a DM. So anything online just wouldn't cut it for me.

With that said, I would like to play on our own gaming forums someday as a player. PBMB is something you can be lazy at and still have fun... I've only played as a player once in my life... I think I should again someday. Every 25 years or so ;)
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
Crasez58
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by Crasez58 »

personally i can never get into play by post or really anything i like roll20s system or fantasy grounds except that it costs so much also google hangout has features that make it perfect for playing a "face to face game" provided you have a webcam
Shao Khan
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Shao Khan »

Cole wrote:Sure ...table top for me only really. Like yourself, as the DM, I feed off my players, the more angry or excited they get and the better they RP, the better I DM. I've actually developed tons of unique voices and accents for my NPC's and when my players are cracking... I'm switching npcs and laying the vocabulary smack down like no tomorrow. I think that's my strongest quality as a DM.
That makes me grin. It almost summarizes the spirit of the game. I always wished I was better @that. My wife npc's all have nationalities and dialects that kill. Some of the best times of my life.
Cole wrote:So anything online just wouldn't cut it for me.
I'm online now because I can't get enough ppl to tabletop with us. Since moving out here all they wanna do is kayak and run around outside the 2 times a year I see them.
Cole wrote: With that said, I would like to play on our own gaming forums someday as a player. PBMB is something you can be lazy at and still have fun... I've only played as a player once in my life... I think I should again someday. Every 25 years or so ;)
Yup, us DM's would do well to game a pc every now and again just to remember what it's like on that side of the screen. 25yrs? Yeah, your due.

Crasez-I may have to get into some vid-gaming. Only thing holding me back is my provider and sheer laziness.

Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Brightmantle »

I know that this thread is a bit seasoned and all but this is a deep felt conviction of mine through experience. Nothing beasts a close knit group and the experience table top gaming provides. Bring em to the table, turn off the digital distractions and put on some great fantasy tracks. Yep, gaming bliss. Just classic.
A king without a sword, the land without a king!
rredmond
Peddler
Peddler

Post by rredmond »

Tabletop FtF is the best. I mainly play with my two eldest (of four) daughters, 12yo and 9yo.
For adult play, I mainly like PbP, though I've enjoyed some SKYPE and G+ games immensely.

I DM and play PbP over at www.unseenservant.us it's a great site with a lot of real supportive guys there.

Old old school games too! :wink:
--Ron--
http://www.unseenservant.us
for Play by Post gaming!
eliana
Vagabond
Vagabond
Favorite D&D Edition: 3rd Edition

Post by eliana »

Online Roll20...
The Only Real thing for me is Maptools... anything else doesn't do it !

Éli,
Raised into Darkness, Awaken by Evil.