Dice habits

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

Shann0Mac
Peasant
Peasant
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Dice habits

Post by Shann0Mac »

We all know two very important, yet very opposing facts:

1) for any die, of any shape, the probability of a die landing on a particular number is as good as the probability of it landing on any number. Ex. The odds of rolling a 20 on a d20 are as good as rolling a 5, 1, 13, etc.

2) Your dice will behave a certain way, depending on how you treat them.

With that in mind, are there any rituals or habits you have with your dice that you feel improves your ability to roll them to your liking? Something as simple as "I always roll with a yahtzee shaker" to "I roll all my dice, and any 1's that show up are replaced immediately".
Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe

Post by Stik »

I have a habit of leaving them on the table with the highest number up. The way I see it, it the dice get used to sitting in that position, they'll be more likely to return to that position when I roll them. It's simple physics. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Shann0Mac
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Shann0Mac »

Stik wrote:I have a habit of leaving them on the table with the highest number up. The way I see it, it the dice get used to sitting in that position, they'll be more likely to return to that position when I roll them. It's simple physics. :)
With that in mind, do you keep a separate Initiative die at 1? Maybe we should keep a separate set at their minimums in case we need to roll low!
Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe

Post by Stik »

Of course I do. What do you think I am, new? :)
"No matter where you go, there you are."
phindar
Freeman
Freeman

Post by phindar »

I do the exact opposite, I keep all my dice with their lowest number facing. My theory is they'll get bored with it and want to roll anything else.
Breila
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Breila »

Any dice - even the electronic rollers - have a habit of never giving me what I need. Low when I need it high, high when I need it low.

So I do my best to have fun and play well regardless of the numbers I get...
La felicità porta fortuna
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Re: Dice habits

Post by Cole »

Shann0Mac wrote:We all know two very important, yet very opposing facts:

1) for any die, of any shape, the probability of a die landing on a particular number is as good as the probability of it landing on any number. Ex. The odds of rolling a 20 on a d20 are as good as rolling a 5, 1, 13, etc.

2) Your dice will behave a certain way, depending on how you treat them.

With that in mind, are there any rituals or habits you have with your dice that you feel improves your ability to roll them to your liking? Something as simple as "I always roll with a yahtzee shaker" to "I roll all my dice, and any 1's that show up are replaced immediately".
HAHA, yeah I do for sure ;)

If I want a good high roll... I always roll on a soft surface.

I truly believe hard surfaces are a jinx
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons