High Security in a Magical World...

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

phindar
Freeman
Freeman

High Security in a Magical World...

Post by phindar »

What do you consider the SOP for high value targets in D&D? What are the basic magical and mundane protections a king or emperor would be expected to have? What does the D&D version of Fort Knox look like?
Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by Stik »

Security? Next to impossible in a world with magic.

Any mundane fortification is subject to all those great spells that adventurers use to make Swiss cheese out of dungeons.

The only way to counter magic is more magic. High-level protection spells and such are needed, and if some V.I.P. really needs protecting, a sizeable squad of wizard, priest and warrior bodyguards is the way to go.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Marcus
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by Marcus »

Let me share some random ideas first and then share some things that I have seen in the games I've played and DMed.

An illusion can be quite a security blanket. Allow the king to go to an event but actually be at his villa far away (with a ring that hides his location, of course).

Another option is the old body double. Whether it is a dopplegangar, a bodyguard changed by a wizard, a really talented make-up artist, a clone (not exactly like the spell I suspect), or just a country bumpkin who happens to be a spitting image, this strategy could be doable and fun.

At mid-levels, a simple unseen wall of force can go a long way. Combined by an area protected so that no one can teleport in, it is a good start toward keeping a VIP from getting snuffed. The area protected against teleportation or other magical travel might be the most effective way of making an attempt against him fair. It can set it up so the enemy almost has to come from a real entrance.

Crazy idea? Make the ruler dress in simple robes or even Roman toga style with a bunch of quarterstaff-using mystics devoted to his safety. They have consecrated the place so you have to use the front and not entrance magic (or of course blow the whole place up, but few could take down his mega-palace). But the greatest defense they have is the great stone of meditation... that acts as a powerful magnet.

Psionicist bodyguards would be pretty tough. They not only have the cool mental image going for them, but also they can use psionic blast to stun intruders or ego whip to leave magic-users unable to use higher than 3rd level spells. Almost every other class is defenseless against the powers of psionicists in 2nd edition.

And here are some things I've seen in game:
1. In the case of the nation of Orinthal in my campaign, they had enough guards around to deter most casual would-be assassins. Sadly, like Styk alluded to earlier, a more motivated and capable killer got to him.
2. In the case of the nation of Sumervale to the north, their king and his people subscribe to the religion of Lunari, the Goddess of the White Moon, who is the goddess of protection. The followers of Lunari have churches that are more like fortresses, they run the jails of that nation, and they wear heavy armor. Their warriors specialize in defensive styles, so like skills and powers shield proficiency. They have special abilities they are trained to use such as allowing their defender weapon and their shield defense to be used for the one they are protecting instead of themselves. The best ones can force anyone to attack them first or face attacks of opportunity. The priests have spells that rather than heal instead prevent damage. So for example a 12th level priest casts the big 6th level Lunari spell that absorbs 36 damage (level x 3 is the formula). While not as many HP as a heal spell grants in a high level party, it can be cast on even a child ruler with no more than 2 hp normally and be quite a boon. Finally, the very powerful ones can use magic so that they take the wounds that their liege would normally incur. So anyone who wants their shot has to go through a lot of people first. And isn't that just like real life? Anyone who could get through that would need to be stopped by a hero...
3. In Tiger's biggest and longest campaign ever, my character became Emperor Vladamir Karelin. And if someone wanted to go after him, they were welcome to try. And if they want to go after him in public, they had to deal with all of his old campaigning buddies too. Making the ruler the biggest baddest guy on the block really has a way of deterring most enemies, even the scary ones. In a related case, I made a ruler in an old campaign I DMed who had no security force, only some armed guards for his sister. He had only a ring to warn him of danger so he would wake up or be otherwise prepared when takers showed up. And he was said to be the greatest warrior in the world. Of course, he turned out to be the end bad guy, but that is another story.
"These are the old days, the bad days, the all-or-nothing days."