What Edition/Version of D&D do you play?

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

TristenC
Vagabond
Vagabond
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Re: What Edition/Version of D&D do you play?

Post by TristenC »

namenlos wrote: 4E implemented the healing surges right? did that carry into 5E? and perhaps I should have started with, healing surges was an ability everyone can use to just heal themselves, correct?
From the very little I understand about 4e everyone has a number of healing surges per day based on class, race and con (i think). Anyway, they have to be 'triggered' to use. A healer could trigger one, or a special ability from the character themselves could (i think everyone gets some action called 'second wind' in combat). There is a Warlord class that can trigger their party members' healing surges by using an ability called 'Inspiring Word', so basically encouraging them and they get a rush of adrenaline or whatever and heal a certain small amount. I think you can use them freely outside of combat or after resting or something. As I said, my knowledge of 4e is very limited.
What doesn't kill you just means you made your save... this time...
namenlos
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by namenlos »

Hhmmm, well it doesn't sound like something I'd like, but as I said I've got to try it!

It sounds pretty(incredibly?) useful but... I think it may hamper my play style. Any 4E lovers out there(in here?) that want to or have a game going(I don't think there's one going)?
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Post by Halaster-Blackcloak »

I've always played a mix of 1E/2E (after 2E was released). Basically I kept the majority of the rules from 1E - i.e. I still have half-orcs, assassins, monks, and barbarians in my game, demons and devils are called demons and devils not tanar'ri and baatezu :roll: , there are no damage caps for damage spells, illusionists are a distinct class, etc. I did end up adapting some of the rules for 2E (such as d10 HD for rangers as opposed to d8, etc, although I'm starting to seriously consider going back to the d8). I use 1E tracking for rangers instead of the NWP version from 2E. I use the more specific species enemies for rangers from 2E, but kept the +1 damage/level vs. species enemy from 1E as opposed to the +1 to hit per level from 2E. It's hard to say for sure, but I'd guess that my campaigns are 75% 1E and 25% 2E, or something around that ratio. Maybe even 80/20 or even 85/15. I kept the spells omitted from 2E that were in 1E. Stuff like that.
GenghisDon
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by GenghisDon »

B/X, RC (basically Mentzer BECMI), AD&D, AD&D 2e, 3.5e
FaerieGodfather
Peasant
Peasant
Favorite D&D Edition: 2e Player's Option

Post by FaerieGodfather »

In order of preference:
AD&D 2e Player's Option
3.PF (specifically both)
5e
IvanZecat
Peasant
Peasant
Favorite D&D Edition: 3rd edition

Post by IvanZecat »

Mostly 3.5 and Pathfinder these days. Getting Pathfinder feat progression and skill combinations with most other mechanics from 3.5 really is the best of both worlds.

Least favorite is definitely 4th. Watered down MMO mechanics with a d&d veneer are not my cup of tea.
Crimson-Kobold
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Crimson-Kobold »

Am in three different 5th Ed games.

I hate it. Half the stuff they have in the game seems half thought out, AC is meaningless past, like, 5th level, and becomes about reducing damage instead of avoiding it.

Separating Ability Score increases from Feats, and applying proficiency to AC would fix a lot of my gripes with it, though. But by that point, it's almost Pathfinder 2nd Ed, so might just be better to switch to that when it comes out, haw.

Semi related, but also got a Starfinder game on the side as well. Quite fun, and it's a neat setting. Now if only I could get the players as into the setting as I am...
The Kobold gonna kobold.
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Re:

Post by JadedDM »

JadedDM wrote:AD&D 2nd Edition only.
Eight years later, and I've branched out a bit. I have participated in a couple of 3E/PF1E games (although none of them lasted very long), have joined a 5E game and am running a 5E game (Lost Mines of Phandelver). The vast majority of the games I run, however, are still 2E.
TigerStripedDog
Marshall
Marshall
Favorite D&D Edition: 5th Edition

Post by TigerStripedDog »

Wow - how have I note posted on here? Back when this thread started, like Jaded, my answer would have been all 2nd Edition.

Now I still play in two 2nd Edition games - both very infrequently. But I DM 5th Edition on average 1.25 times per week, and play when I can find a one-timer group that fits my schedule.

Tiger
*unreadable scribble*