It's a Trap!

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

Wolfpup
Peasant
Peasant
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

It's a Trap!

Post by Wolfpup »

People who know me will tell you that I'm a trap-happy DM. I love throwing all sorts of tricks and traps at my players. I've come up with a few that I would like to share with the community:

It's a Gas!

The players find themselves walking down a long hallway. It leads to a downward staircase leading into a pool of water. At the bottom of the staircase is a short stretch of hallway(about 25' easy enough to swim), then an upward staircase. This section is completely submerged, no air pockets, nothing.

At the top of the staircase is a room, in total darkness. This room is filled with a flammable gas. Subterranean races (Dwarves, gnomes, orcs, etc...) should be warned of this ("The air is thick and smells of gas, you're getting lightheaded because of it."). Characters with infravision will notice a metal lever on the back wall.

If the lever is moved upwards, the gas will vent safely through the ceiling. If the lever is moved downwards, the water in the tunnel will drain, allowing the gas to escape into the tunnel beyond(Where the rest of the party is probably waiting with lit torches and lanterns >:) ). If the characters(s) in the room try to light any kind of fire, the gas ignites. This will cause the water in the lower section to blow out, down the rest of the hallway like a shot from a gun.

Notes: The fires should never be enough to kill the party. It should damage their pride more than their HP.

Don't feed the bears!

The entrance to this trap is a narrow passageway filled with sharp spikes. The passage is narrow enough that the players have to squeeze their way through. The spikes are all angled in the direction the players are traveling, so they won't get stuck if they keep moving forward. This passage leads into a room filled with several very hungry bears. There is a heavy iron door on the opposite end of the hallway. Unfortunately, it's locked and nigh unpickable. The key, along with what's left of the zookeeper, is in the stomach of one of the bears...

Note: The players in this one were attempting to liberate a dwarven stronghold that had been taken over by mind flayers. The easiest way in was through the bestiary. The spiked tunnel lead to the surface and was partly how the dwarves would feed the bears.

Belly of the Beast.

Above the entrance to this room is a plaque which reads: To be consumed by Fear is to advance. Players get locked into a large room with a giant sized statue of a dragon. If they touch the statue, it comes to life and behaves just like a 2HD dragon (DM's Choice). However, this dragon is large enough to swallow a player whole, and it bites 2 per round. When the dragon scores a natural 20 on a bite attack, the player is swallowed. However, they are not dead, they are transported to another, escapable room in the dungeon. If a player stands still and lets themselves get swallowed, the dragon simply has to make a successful hit to swallow the player. If the dragon dies, it will turn back into a statue in 2d6 days.
"Each night I taste eternal bliss and feel again her burning kiss,<br>yet stolen each day by waking light, longing for her and eternal night"<br><br><br>- Eternal Night, 5th Verse.<br>