Magical Items

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

Jenara
Town Crier
Town Crier
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Magical Items

Post by Jenara »

I remember days of old when Matan Thunder used to post pages upon pages of magical items... Stik started a threadvin the DM section that got me thinking "Why can't we do that again...?"

So, heres you chance to post your creations, i've posted here so edition doesn't matter, and everyone can read it!

Basic format:

Item name.
Description of the item.
History.
In game stats.

like i said, edition doesn't matter...
"Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."
Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe

Post by Stik »

Isn't this the completely wrong place for this to be posted? The General Roleplaying Discussion section is billed as being specifically for non-D&D topics.

That being said, I have an item to post.
(And I can't take credit for this one because I didn't create it (credit goes to the guy who occasionally posts on this board as "TNE2300")):

Sylvania
This magical staff is usable by druids and priests of nature gods. The staff measures six feet long and approximately 1.5" in diameter, and is made of white wood which has been polished to a glass-smooth finish, and shod with a gleaming metal cap at each end.

The staff acts as a +2 Quarterstaff in melee.
In addition, the staff can be caused to glow upon command. The level of illumination varies with the volume at which the command word is spoken. Whispering the command word reults in a faint glow barely adequate for finding your way in a dark room. Shouting it loudly results in a glow as bright as a Continual Light spell. Repeating the command causes the staff to cease glowing.

The original Sylvania staff was crafted by the druids of the Adri forest as a gift for one of their own, an adventuring druid named Griin. The item proves so useful that the druids produced several similar staves.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Tempest
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by Tempest »

The Chalice of the Oaken Vale or The Cup of Souls

Long ago it is said that the kings and queens of Uldessa possessed a cup made of smooth white marble, inlaid with silver streaks. Those knights of the king's court found worthy would drink from the cup and gain long life and great vigor, even to the last of their days, never knowing the touch of old age until finally laid to rest. When the kingdom fell, the cup was lost. As such lost relics often do, the lost Chalice of Uldessa became an object of quest and obsession drawing knights from all over the world seeking its hiding place, though none have ever found it.

In recent years rumors have spread that the cup has surfaced again in an oaken vale near Trelain. A woman dressed in white is said to hold court deep within the forest and those who enter seeking the cup, if worthy, may find themselves chancing upon her grove. Many knights have entered the forest never to leave again. The village folk say they have seen some of the the knights on occasion while working near the forest, passing by on errands unknown.

The truth of the White Witch of the Oaken vale is that she holds not the Chalice of Uldessa, but rather a Chalice of Souls, and those who partake of her ghastly communion are supping upon her blood. The knights who have wittingly or unwittingly drank from the cup are slain, and rise again to do her bidding, though none but the white witch knows what that might be.
Tempest
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by Tempest »

This is currently the seed I'm using for a short story I am writing.
Jenara
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Jenara »

Stik wrote:Isn't this the completely wrong place for this to be posted? The General Roleplaying Discussion section is billed as being specifically for non-D&D topics.
Yes, it probably is, I wanted to include all editions and not limit it just to DM's... So if you have a better suggestion Mr. Smartypantswell I'd love to hear it! :wink:

Nice item tho, you got any of your own?
Tempest wrote:This is currently the seed I'm using for a short story I am writing.
Cool, good idea for a basis, I'd love to read it when its done. If I may?
"Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."
Tempest
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by Tempest »

Sure, though it may not be for a while (I'm doing a lot of moving around in the next month or so)
Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe

Post by Stik »

How's this?

The wizard and linguist Lex retreated to his tower, cutting ties with most of the world, obsessed with his work. His son, in a misguided and tragic attempt to distract the wizard from his obsession, hired a jester for the old man. The jester's efforts were enough to push the wizard over the edge into madness, and prompted him to combine his obsessions, resulting in the creation of several unique magic items based on...puns:

The Elephant of Surprise
This new Figurine of Wondrous Power appears as an elephant carved from rose quartz about the size of a hen's egg. When the command word (Jumbo) is spoken, the stone instantly grows into a living, breathing, full-sized pink elephant (fifteen feet long, ten feet tall, and six feet wide), trumpets once, and immediately returns to its stone form.

Anything in the space the elephant occupies will be forcefully relocated during the growth process. The elephant does not cause any damage to living creatures, but it will destroy furniture and other objects in the area. Any objects below it which are not capable of supporting the weight of a full grown elephant (if the stone was resting on a table, for example) will be crushed flat.

Although the elephant does not cause any harm to living creatures, anyone viewing the elephant will be surprised, and unable to take any action other than staring dazedly at where the elephant was, for the entire round unless they knew in advance that the eleohant was being deployed.
"No matter where you go, there you are."