Gaming Pet Peeves

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

LadyWinterWolf
Freeman
Freeman
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Gaming Pet Peeves

Post by LadyWinterWolf »

These mostly apply to tabletop gaming, but if you have any that concern online gaming, feel free to post those too.

My #1 pet peeve is the "know-it-all". A person who reads the manuals, memorizes practically everything, and then recites it as if it's a conversation, except they're the only person talking. This also includes the person who is constantly correcting other players and/or the DM because they know it all better than anyone else present; even if they just learned the edition recently themselves. In online gaming, they will pm the other players and DM to death, or post their corrections right in the gaming thread.

My #2 pet peeve is the "my wonderful character". A person who has to recite to you every aspect of their character, every stat, every spell (if a magic user), for every level.

Now there is one good point for each of the above, if you have trouble sleeping, the droning will put you right out.

#3 - players who won't let the DM see their character sheets, but insist that they see the other PCs character sheets, so they can see all the stats and know what items everyone has.

#4 - players who go through the other PCs, and the DM's, stuff during breaktime, and the gaming room is vacant....that is just soooooo wrong!!!

Now the person who sneaks through everyone's stuff should be ousted from the group, and banned.

#5 - Players who are in a gaming group which plays a certain edition, but insist that their characters use the stats of another edition. For example, the group is playing a 2e game, but this player wants 3e stats. Told "no" and to alter the character stats to fit into 2e, but keeps bringing 3e books to the table for reference, and has to be constantly reminded what edition the group is playing.

#6 - Impatient Players

Examples:
A - A player takes their turn in melee, then procedes to keep complaining how bored they are because not everyone has gone yet.

B - A player takes their turn, then leaves the table to go outside and smoke. Then they return to ask, "So what happened?".

C - A player who keeps asking "when are we gonna kill something and get treasure?" when the group is trying to solve a puzzle, find clues, etc.

#7 - The "I can play it better" gamer

A person tries to talk the DM into letting him steal someone else's character and let him play it, because he thinks a bad job is being done role-playing it. All of this behind the back of the other gamer.

#8 - The Cheapskate

He comes to every game, empty handed....not one bag of snacks, nor bottle of soda will be seen being handed to the group by this person. But he sure is hungry, and will gladly consume everything that the other players have brought. If the group is chipping in for a meal, this player conveniently never has money on him, but consumes twice his share of the meal.

#9 - Baby/Pet sit for me

The gamer brings their child(ren) and/or pets with him/her; then expects the host to baby and/or pet sit for them. If the host has any pets, this gamer gets annoyed and asks that the pets be removed, so their own child(ren) and/or pets won't be bothered. If the child(ren) and/or pets make a mess of any sort, the gamer expects the host to clean up after them.
Long live the Witch Queen!!!
Bert_the_Turtle
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Bert_the_Turtle »

Ok, those are all really freaking irritating. Good (bad?) list.

I'm broke so the only thing that would spare me as the moocher if I had a real life game would be my love of cooking. "Who wants banana bread!?"
"So, how much experience do I get for the peasant?"
Wizard_of_Wumbo
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Wizard_of_Wumbo »

i hate impatient DMS!!! any dm who will just tell you the jist of what an npc is saying with no room character comment or negotiation...this normally comes into play with modules.

I also hate the whole concept of using a charisma check instead of a few seconds of decent role playing

player: i try to haggle the price of the horse with the merchant
Dm: roll diplomacy (charisma, whatever)
player: i got a 17
Dm: yeah he will bring it down to 50 gold

WTF
LadyWinterWolf
Freeman
Freeman

Post by LadyWinterWolf »

Bert - all those events happened when I had my tabletop group back in PA.

Wumbo - that's the difference between Role and Roll playing. I much prefer Role playing myself.
Long live the Witch Queen!!!
Crimson-Kobold
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Crimson-Kobold »

Reminds me of the 'discussion' I had briefly after clean up last night.

One of the guys was commenting on the new system we tried, saying they didn't like how repeative the combat was, since 4E has so many options, and that it reminded them of 3.5 too much (since they felt it was just 'I attack I attack I attack').

I commented that I was getting bored of 4E, since...I dunno. There's just something about how they handle the powers and classes that doesn't jive with me. THAT prompted another player to quip "That's because you don't visit the opti boards!"

I mean come on. We're playing a roleplaying game, I should not have to 'visit' any site to get enjoyment from the game, and certainly not the min max happy optmization boards at Wizards.

After pointing that out to him, he actually had the nerve to say something about maybe roleplaying games aren't for me...say what?! I'm one of the few that would rather try to roleplay situations out a bit more (hard in D&D, since the majority of encounters are combat encounters....), and outright refuse to just 'change' my character because others was to try something new...

And this coming from one of the guys that couldn't come up with a reason why their party was travelling in the first place! Why should that be up to the bloody GM? Since I wanted to get right into the game, I set it up as "you're travelling on the road when you come across this town..." "Why are we travelling?" "Um, that's up for you to decide...."

At this rate, we might as well just invest in D&D minis, and play encounters that are listed online, and just forget about roleplaying completely :x
The Kobold gonna kobold.
Jenara
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Jenara »

Crimson-Kobold wrote:Reminds me of the 'discussion' I had briefly after clean up last night.

One of the guys was commenting on the new system we tried, saying they didn't like how repeative the combat was, since 4E has so many options, and that it reminded them of 3.5 too much (since they felt it was just 'I attack I attack I attack').

I commented that I was getting bored of 4E, since...I dunno. There's just something about how they handle the powers and classes that doesn't jive with me. THAT prompted another player to quip "That's because you don't visit the opti boards!"

I mean come on. We're playing a roleplaying game, I should not have to 'visit' any site to get enjoyment from the game, and certainly not the min max happy optmization boards at Wizards.

After pointing that out to him, he actually had the nerve to say something about maybe roleplaying games aren't for me...say what?! I'm one of the few that would rather try to roleplay situations out a bit more (hard in D&D, since the majority of encounters are combat encounters....), and outright refuse to just 'change' my character because others was to try something new...

And this coming from one of the guys that couldn't come up with a reason why their party was travelling in the first place! Why should that be up to the bloody GM? Since I wanted to get right into the game, I set it up as "you're travelling on the road when you come across this town..." "Why are we travelling?" "Um, that's up for you to decide...."

At this rate, we might as well just invest in D&D minis, and play encounters that are listed online, and just forget about roleplaying completely :x
Hey CK, welcome back, the place hasn't been quite the same without you...

Are they seriously suggesting that you shouldn't be playing? Your attempts to introduce Role Playing into 4e make it seem almost playable!

We've talked about this before i think.

Can I sho0t a suggestion your way? Run a game on the new board? You could introduce 4e to people who haven't tried it!! I'd give it a go...

Jen
"Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."
Tempest
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by Tempest »

CK, your fellow player would drive me crazy.

This isn't my number one pet peeve, but it goes on my list.

I dislike the gunbunny characters. The players that play the same, ex-soldier, ex-marine, ex- space marine type character every single bloody game we've played since the 90s.
Wizard_of_Wumbo
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Wizard_of_Wumbo »

well um....whenever i make a Rifts character i end up being a cyborg-terminator type guy. i just cant help myself from doing it....being able to say things like "i am a cybernetic organism, living tissue over a metal endoskeleton" or "i dont need a gun, i am a gun..." kicks so much ass on so many different levels :roll:
Crimson-Kobold
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Crimson-Kobold »

There's nothing wrong with being the guy with a really big gun. Just have something behind the character :D

As for running an online game, well, first, never really got into online RPing, and second, don't think I have the energy or time with school.
The Kobold gonna kobold.