How many Paladins have you ever known in your games?

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

Poll: How many Paladins have you ever known?

The damn things are everywhere!
9%
I've known one or two...
82%
They are rarer than rocking horse c*$p!
9%

Total votes: 11

Wizard_of_Wumbo
Freeman
Freeman
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by Wizard_of_Wumbo »

i had another strange thought, if i made a paladin of the god of arcane magic...shouldnt my spells count as arcane?...i mean, i know they come from a divine source, but still.
Jenara
Town Crier
Town Crier
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by Jenara »

well some clerics of gods of magic can cast mage spells in lieu of some clerical.... so why not, interesting thought.
"Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."
Bert_the_Turtle
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Bert_the_Turtle »

From what I've read Paladins are more Champions of Goodness and Order. They don't really receive their powers from a deity even if they worship one or belong to that order's corps of Paladins. Being a Paladin isn't something that can be taught, you either are or you aren't. Now going with this interpretation of the class, Ability Score requirements and racial restrictions don't make sense. Either you have the calling to be a paladin even if you're an ugly gnome with a str, con, and wisdom of 5, or you don't even if you're named Sir Spence Goodman, the Human with all 18's and a holy stick up your arse.

Now if we wanted to generalize a type of, "Divine Warrior" class with different abilities and such based upon their god, that would be something else. I think the Paladin would fall under "Alignment Champion" where the character is a living embodiment of whatever their character's alignment is.

Edited to Add- To answer the question at the start of the thread, having played in and run very few D&D games (so I'm including Palladium Stuff) I've known of 3 Paladin Characters. Two D&D Paladins and one Cyber Knight in a Rifts game.
"So, how much experience do I get for the peasant?"