Super hero RPs

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

Wizard_of_Wumbo
Freeman
Freeman
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Super hero RPs

Post by Wizard_of_Wumbo »

i purchased a copy of Mutants and Masterminds (Green ronin publishing) a while ago, and i have to say that i really like it! it is a D20 based superhero rpg...ok ok, i know that most people here dont really groove on D20 but it is one of the most flexible systems that i have ever seen. It has the capabilities to run any sort of game you want, fantasy, sci-fi, even something like Dragon ball z or ghostbusters can be accomlished with this system!

watch this game geeks review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qThk9fjOS9Q

alright so after i finish my free advertising im gonna get to my point, im really diggin this whole concept of a superhero RP, and i was wondering if anyone had done one before and how they liked it.

i dont think that i would do an actual four-color style campaign, but the system looks like fun and i love the idea of being a mutant or super hero or whatever!
Ismaels-Legacy
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Ismaels-Legacy »

Cole developed his own system and I was in the middle of working on one until all these commissions came in. I like them and the ideas that people bring to the table. You play a game like D&D and things start to get a little stale on the character concept side of things, but you let people know that they're creating Superheroes and you start seeing some really bizarre concepts!
Iron-Fist Ismael
SightblinderX
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by SightblinderX »

I prefer MSH (FASERIP) or SAS (even BESM to a lesser extent) than d20 for super games :)
Kensai & Professional Hero
TigerStripedDog
Marshall
Marshall
Favorite D&D Edition: 5th Edition

Post by TigerStripedDog »

A friend of mine who used to post on here under a name I can't remember had a system that he created. Simply called "Super Heroes".

It was based off of the VtM system, by WW. It was simple, it has a mechanism for powers and that weird durability that super heroes seem to have. It even had a pre-set method to have weaknesses (like kryptonite) and things that would recharge your powers (like sunlight). It was a neat system. Modern day setting.

I played Tina Becker, aka Hera. She was basically X-Men's Colossus meets middle aged hot soccer mom. She was pretty much invincible, and loved to punch people in the face.

She ran with "SuperCop", a police officer who went the way of captain America, played by none other than Marcus. A great group, with some awesome badguys. Our buddy the storyteller had an art for matching powers to great names.

It was a blast, in fact, why aren't we still playing those characters!?

I also ran this system more than once. For one timers, and for long term campaigns. Alternate universe from the original, with one that was set in the Cowboy Bebop era. Also a lot of fun.

Tiger
*unreadable scribble*
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Post by Cole »

Ismaels-Legacy wrote:Cole developed his own system and I was in the middle of working on one until all these commissions came in. I like them and the ideas that people bring to the table. You play a game like D&D and things start to get a little stale on the character concept side of things, but you let people know that they're creating Superheroes and you start seeing some really bizarre concepts!
http://www.riseofheroes.net/

yup! :D FREE and BETTER! ;)

We have an ongoing campaign running at my house.... all great fun. Allot of my material is not online, but for the most part, you can make pc's, all the rules you need are online along with maps, character sheets npcs etc. ;) Check er out WoW :)
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
Wizard_of_Wumbo
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Wizard_of_Wumbo »

damn...that looks good Cole
Crimson-Kobold
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Crimson-Kobold »

M&M at it's core has a pretty sweet system set up.

But...I find they give too much points to spend to create characters, even at lower levels. I found it hard not to go super crazy when trying to create a character.

And I found they didn't do much in the way of providing NPCs that were actually a threat. Ultimately, my group found it was way too freeform for our tastes.
The Kobold gonna kobold.