Dragon Age PnP game

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

Crimson-Kobold
Peddler
Peddler

Dragon Age PnP game

Post by Crimson-Kobold »

Anyone else check this out? Haven't had a chance to try it, although I do have it (currently in a 4th Ed campaign, and it's impressive we've gone as far as we have, so I don't want to interrupt that until we finish this campaign dammit!), but the core mechanic looks pretty decent. Uses a 3d6 + Attribute mechanic vs a TN picked by the GM or dictated by the circustances (against defense for example), as well as a +2 if you have a focus in the activity you're attempting.

But what I think I like the most is the concept of Dragon Dice. Basically, one of the three d6s is designated the dragon die (usually by being a different color), and if you roll any doubles, you gain stunt points equal to the dragon die roll, and you can spend these stunt points on special actions, like a free attack, movement, and so on.

Unfortunately, there's not a great deal at this time, as Green Ronin is presenting the boxed set as a starter, so it only covers the first 5 levels. I suppose if levelling is slow enough to meet their release schedule, it shouldn't be too bad, but while I see what they're trying to do, I don't know if it will pan out the way they intended...

Anyways, I hope I'll get a chance to play it at some point in the near future, and was curious if anyone here had checked it out.
The Kobold gonna kobold.
Wizard_of_Wumbo
Freeman
Freeman
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by Wizard_of_Wumbo »

i have not even heard of this before but i like everything that i have bought from green ronin so far
indeed...<br>
Crimson-Kobold
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Crimson-Kobold »

we wrote up some characters, but spent too much time on that (which is weird, since the rules are really fast....think we were getting too distracted by other things...), so we haven't played it yet...but here's what concerns me.

For 4th Ed, the PHB is 34.95 US. All three, and you're looking at 104 or so dollars.

Set 1 comes with a 64 page PHB and a 64 page GM guide, 3 d6s, and a nice little map of Ferelden, for 32.95.

There's very little content in the booklets, and it only covers levels 1-5. Once the fourth set comes out, assuming similar price, we're looking at about 130 dollars total.

I honestly think this should be sold at half that price for the amount of content we're getting. It's way overpriced as is.

That's not to say it's a bad system. Just really overpriced. One concern voiced is that Warriors and Rogues may be looking at an existance of "I attack that thing", which might be a bit jarring to anyone coming from 4th Edition. The Stunts system might help a little, but considering the number of options 4th Ed has, it's still pale in comparison.

We might give it a shot next week and see how it runs.
The Kobold gonna kobold.