which is edition is the "PREFFERRED"?

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

Poll: which is the Best edition

Poll ended at Wed May 28, 2008 10:57 pm

1st
4%
2nd
67%
3rd
29%

Total votes: 24

saxocowboy
Peasant
Peasant

which is edition is the "PREFFERRED"?

Post by saxocowboy »

what edition is best, what do you play the most
Last edited by saxocowboy on Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thesslian
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Thesslian »

Oh god no. Someone should right kick your ass for instigating an edition war. Nothing good ever came from one and it will just degenerate into circular arguments, bickering and drama. That said I feel it is just best to avoid the question.
saxocowboy
Peasant
Peasant

Post by saxocowboy »

dont have to reply, but please vote annon then
Thesslian
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Thesslian »

Negative. That could be providing ammo for later use in the rapidly degenerating argument. I think it better to just pretend there was no question that will bring about a shit storm.
Tempest
Vagabond
Vagabond
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by Tempest »

What Thesslian means to say is you are rooting about in a sensitive area in these forums. During the last round of edition wars at least one person was permanently banned from the site. Tread lightly.

Oh and, 3rd eddie foreva!!!!!!
Degen_Nerve_Disorder
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Degen_Nerve_Disorder »

It is absolutely possible to have reasoned arguments without flaming and circular rubbish. You only need to be mature enough to accept that you aren't always correct, and intelligent enough to realize that being corrected is like receiving a valuable commodity, information, for free.

The problem comes when people only care about reaching the conclusion they pre-decide. Logic is ineffective, and that can, of course, be frustrating.

(Sarcastically) Let us avoid the issue of abortion, as that is controversial. Does anyone here deny evolution? Ok, I guess we can't discuss that either. coke versus pepsi? you're banned from the forum, begone!

Remember, only debate what we all agree to.
...because DND breaks down and loses intelligence with each Edition.
Thesslian
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Thesslian »

Degen_Nerve_Disorder wrote:It is absolutely possible to have reasoned arguments without flaming and circular rubbish. You only need to be mature enough to accept that you aren't always correct, and intelligent enough to realize that being corrected is like receiving a valuable commodity, information, for free.
So, you are saying it is possible, just not on these boards. I concur, thus the reason I would advise against making the attempt. I fail to see it as being a wise course of action, as it has been attempted many times before, always proving that the conditions which you set fail to exist here.

I believe the saying goes something like "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results."
saxocowboy
Peasant
Peasant

Post by saxocowboy »

hopefully crying wolf will keep the wolf away and we'll have an intelligent discussion...honestly i just wanted to see the vote and how it came out, i have an opinion but if my opinion is not the popular one, it is no personal harm to me and no one should take it as personal harm, but just a revelation to what the majority prefers
Rblademaster
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by Rblademaster »

agreed, this kind of discussion, should never be the full intend of a thread. History has shown nothing but misery comming forth from these sort of things. It is not impossible to make good talk here, but it is unlikely

and the question should be worded differently.

If you really want this to be non flame you should have "what edition do you like most".

Causing defending why something is better usually ends up in saying why the other once suck. Defending why you like something requires you to say what it is you like about what you are actually playing.
DarkestRed
Peasant
Peasant

Post by DarkestRed »

Well, my reasoning is simple.

I play 3rd edition because when I started DnD it was on the shelves. Simple as that. I had to teach everyone in my group how to play, and they all learned how to play 3rd edition. I had never played 2nd or 1st, so I have no bad claims about them. I like 3rd edition, because I play 3rd edition.
Wyvernil
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Wyvernil »

DarkestRed wrote:Well, my reasoning is simple.

I play 3rd edition because when I started DnD it was on the shelves. Simple as that. I had to teach everyone in my group how to play, and they all learned how to play 3rd edition. I had never played 2nd or 1st, so I have no bad claims about them. I like 3rd edition, because I play 3rd edition.
It's the same thing with me, really. 3rd edition is what I started with(except for playing a few 2nd edition-based video games like Baldur's Gate), so it's what I play.

Who knows, I might even check out 4th edition once it's released. I'd have to wait and see it for myself before I can compare its individual merits to the previous edition.
- The Wyvern is reborn...
Stormonu
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Stormonu »

I have my likes and dislikes for each system, but I just prefer 3E. Biggest reason of all - I can use just about everything from 1st and 2nd in 3E (supposably), usually without having to convert it.