expanding youre veiw

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

Poll: are desert setiings cool? (no pun intended)

yes
100%
not really
No votes
no theyre ass!
No votes
that pun was sooo intended
No votes

Total votes: 14

Wizard_of_Wumbo
Freeman
Freeman
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

expanding youre veiw

Post by Wizard_of_Wumbo »

you guys i (once again) require youre sage advice.
how do i (in a subtle way) tell my DM that all his worlds seem the same and that he needs to try new things.

or is it maybe that he just isnt doing what i want and so naturally im displeased...you need more info.\

My normal DM always seem to create the same knid of realm, a standard fantasy realm with maybe a curse on the people of the continent layed down by the gods or some shit like that. these types of realms are all well and good but the problem is that we cant carry on a damn campaign past second level so we keep playing introductory style adventures against goblins and skeletons, in a mormal western settiing over and over and over and over again. so how do i tell him to do something different!

or any basic realm foundation would be appreciated too!!!
indeed...<br>
Athenius
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Athenius »

When I make a world I try to include everything, deserts, jungles, ice capped mountains, barren wastelands ect.... To me, not doing so would be too close minded, or at least lacking true imagination.
Bert_the_Turtle
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Bert_the_Turtle »

Any setting can be awesome. It depends entirely upon the skill of the person running the game.

Why don't you come up with some unique races for a desert setting, maybe a few new Cleric Domains, and ask your GM to do something a little different?

Races aren't hard if you base them on one of the pre-existing races (assuming we're talking 3.5).

And Cleric Domains tend to follow similar formulas. The hardest part is picking out the spells for the Domains. The bonuses are pretty easy~
"So, how much experience do I get for the peasant?"
Rankhar_Zenthis
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by Rankhar_Zenthis »

Yeah, it's not about the setting, it's about the story lines that can be found in the setting, so ask him to come up with something besides hack n' slash, maybe a political plot, or Cleric Domains sounds cool, anything that makes you think instead of just fight, and something that helps you flesh out your characters' personalities too, etc.
A herring is never silly
Rblademaster
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by Rblademaster »

as far as realm variation goes, I think it is best to really just suggest that he might want to mix things up, and that is really really easy.

your nation can be:

mostly covered by forrest, result -> more dangerous animal encounters and a shift of focus from humans to elfs or the like

dessert world, result -> encounters of various desert creatures but most important will be that those living their will most likely be nomads and that the struggle for water and food will become a much more prominent part, searching for water sources and uncovering food thieves, maby finding and convincing a druid to purify the water source, things like that. The nomads could be much more middle eastern as well, they have to be because they will be adjusted to desert life.

mountain world -> Dwarfs are an obvious pick, again lots of enviromental hazards. Although you probably wouldn't be able to get around the standard 1 HD challanges like kobolds, if you get a little higher you can start cool stuff like weakend hill giants or mountain trolls of some kind. Mountains are dangerous places.

but the bottom line is. If this has been dragging out for a long time. If think being bland about wanting some more enviromental variation rather then just new and interesting story will keep you much more interested, is best for everyone involved
"...not touching that with a 25 foot collapsable pole..."
Lukafio
Artisan
Artisan
Favorite D&D Edition: BECMI / RC

Post by Lukafio »

Each type of setting is needed if your eco system is not magically supported.
Look at the macro picture.

As for in game terms, hell yeah you need a change. Keeps you on your toes.
:mage "Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"
greenknight
Vagabond
Vagabond

Re: expanding youre veiw

Post by greenknight »

Wizard_of_Wumbo wrote:these types of realms are all well and good but the problem is that we cant carry on a damn campaign past second level so we keep playing introductory style adventures against goblins and skeletons, in a mormal western settiing over and over and over and over again. so how do i tell him to do something different!
I suspect this is the real problem right here. Regardless of what setting you're in, there's only so much that can be done with low level characters in D&D. What I suggest is you try a couple of one-off scenarios where your characters start at higher levels. Pick some levels that you think will be fun to play, and have a chat with your DM about the kind of adventures you want that character to have.

Or you could try playing another game system entirely for a little while. Just try to make sure that whatever you change to, it's not just Dungeons & Dragons in another ruleset!
Bert_the_Turtle
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Bert_the_Turtle »

"So, how much experience do I get for the peasant?"
Tempest
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by Tempest »

I think the trick to telling him that your looking for something else, is to just be honest, but not to be mean. Suggest to him that there is a great deal of possibility in playing a campaign long term, or whatever it is you want to suggest. People aught to be able to sit down and discuss what they're meaning without coming to blows or being offended. Be honest, but remain clam and rational, and be gentle.

Or, throw him a curve ball by playing a character that suggests other possibilities. If he runs a game that expects you to be a nice hero and rescue the village, try playing an evil necromancer who is only collecting gold for the sole purpose of fueling his necromantic experiments. It doesn't mean you have to break the mold on what he wants you to do, but you can suggest different possibilities by playing different characeters.

Or you guys could all chip in and buy some published adventures off ebay for cheap. Most of the 3.5 adventures by wotc were decent enough. This way its easier for him, and you guys can still play some games at the levels your interested in.
Wizard_of_Wumbo
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Wizard_of_Wumbo »

he isnt a hack and slash type of DM but it just seems that we keep doing the same things over and over. he really has great ideas but they die when we cant carry on a campaign!!! i had an idea to maybe play an odd character to spice things up a bit, his name is asfar fadda that means "yellow silver" in arabic i was going to play him as a egypty wizard i think the reactions and roleplaying oppurtunities with normal western people would be interesting.
indeed...<br>
Tempest
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by Tempest »

See, thats pretty cool. Now all you have to do is keep him from ending the campaign too soon. :lol:
Crimson-Kobold
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Crimson-Kobold »

My group has a similar problem. The DM will lose interest and we start something new lol....

This lsst campaign is a bit different...we've actually played for about 10 sessions straight or so! Incredible...
The Kobold gonna kobold.
Ismaels-Legacy
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Ismaels-Legacy »

Suggest the d20 books Stormwrack and Frostburn to him.
Iron-Fist Ismael
Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe

Post by Stik »

On a side note, deserts CAN be cool.
A desert is defined by the amount of precipitation an area gets, not by the temperature. In fact, the largest desert on Earth is also the coldest place on Earth.
Although there can be heavy storms on the coast, the interior of Antarctica is a vast desert which receives less than four inches of precipitation a year.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Post by Cole »

Bert_the_Turtle wrote:Any setting can be awesome. It depends entirely upon the skill of the person running the game.

Why don't you come up with some unique races for a desert setting, maybe a few new Cleric Domains, and ask your GM to do something a little different?

Races aren't hard if you base them on one of the pre-existing races (assuming we're talking 3.5).

And Cleric Domains tend to follow similar formulas. The hardest part is picking out the spells for the Domains. The bonuses are pretty easy~
YUP, I tend to go with this statement myself :up:

It's the DM's skill level that dictates how good the realm really is. The DM TRUELY holds the cards of what's fun and exciting and what's dull and boring.

My players have always told me that I can even make a bar fight fun.... so I know I'm doing my job ;)

Like others noted, a good realm to start off with though has all types of landscapes (deserts, jungles, mts etc.) See my new setting on these forums for an example.

I naturally start with worlds that can have a vast variety of possibilities. This is my 3rd world since I began DMing, its will be totally unique to the other two in many ways...but all of them have the common D&D mythos, monsters etc. :)

So I would venture with a last statement that YOUR DM... needs to simply get better at his/her job or then again... perhaps he/she simply needs better players (exciting ones )... excitement breeds excitment :)
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons