When D&D lost its soul

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

Billy_Buttcheese
Peddler
Peddler
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Re: When D&D lost its soul

Post by Billy_Buttcheese »

Wow, I truly had no idea. Frankly, I don't recall that much hype when this product was released. Obviously, if you were in on the ground floor, that would change perspective. And I agree with you (as I do on many issues) had he been more upfront about the project, it would have cast him in a different light. And I agree that I don't believe it would have altered sales much if folks had learned the truth about the whole project. That being said, I'm sure TLG has more than gotten their investment back on it, based on the prices these things get even for used copies. What I mean is, there aren't any just sitting unsold gathering dust in some warehouse.

In spite of what I've learned from you, I choose to remember him as the creator of my favorite game with human flaws like everyone else. <shrug>

So, I guess you've never been to Garycon? :D
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Re: When D&D lost its soul

Post by Halaster-Blackcloak »

It was a pretty big issue back then. At TLG, at DF, etc. How could it not be a big issue, after all? People thought they were getting the Holy Grail of campaign settings - the actual Greyhawk campaign played by the creator(s) of the game. It was one of the most egregious cases of fraud I've ever seen. Had I cared enough about the issue, I would have filed a lawsuit against Gygax for false advertising and fraud. It was that bad.

I, too, try to remember him as the guy who gave us this cool game and who wrote all that cool stuff I love reading. But in the end, the taint and stain of corruption just mars the memories indelibly. :evil: