Handling abandoned/dropped out PCs

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

garhkal
Baronet
Baronet
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Re: Handling abandoned/dropped out PCs

Post by garhkal »

That would most likely be an item which rightly belongs to the group, so it would be available (again, assuming it wouldn't logically be physically elsewhere, such as if the absent PC is off doing something else).
If he gained it in loot, how then is it 'belonging to the party'?
Lyrwik
Peddler
Peddler
Favorite D&D Edition: AD&D 2nd Ed

Post by Lyrwik »

garhkal wrote: If he gained it in loot, how then is it 'belonging to the party'?
Typically in most of the games I've been in, loot found by the party is considered to belong to the party. While a particular character may somewhat lay claim to it (such as based on who can best use it), it is still fairly a group-owned item.

If your group divvies up loot with everyone having clear individual ownership and subsequent sharing is unusual, then yes it could fall back into the category of an item unique to that character. However, that's not usually my experience (and I generally encourage groups to be cooperative in their approach to loot rather than competitive).
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Post by Halaster-Blackcloak »

Lyrwik wrote:
Hearing your experiences with it, I'll consider giving it a try once my current group has got to know each other a little more (most of us only met for the first time about 2 months ago when we started this new campaign).
Yeah, the trust has to be there. I always remind the other players to be just as careful with the other person's PC as they would with their own - possibly more so. Remember, that person may be playing your character one day, if you can't make it. We've rarely had problems. But then, usually it's a tight knit group who are friends outside the game.
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by garhkal »

Lyrwik wrote: Typically in most of the games I've been in, loot found by the party is considered to belong to the party. While a particular character may somewhat lay claim to it (such as based on who can best use it), it is still fairly a group-owned item.

If your group divvies up loot with everyone having clear individual ownership and subsequent sharing is unusual, then yes it could fall back into the category of an item unique to that character. However, that's not usually my experience (and I generally encourage groups to be cooperative in their approach to loot rather than competitive).
Strange, most groups i've been in were the latter, especially for magic. Some groups were the latter, where everyone kept track of what THEY got, and there wasn't even such a thing as "party loot/party funds'/ Its only been a few rare ones, where it was the former, where everything was considered "party loot, you are just using it"..
Halaster-Blackcloak wrote: Yeah, the trust has to be there. I always remind the other players to be just as careful with the other person's PC as they would with their own - possibly more so. Remember, that person may be playing your character one day, if you can't make it. We've rarely had problems. But then, usually it's a tight knit group who are friends outside the game.
That's why the guys in my group, seem to NOT have a problem with someone else running their PC, cause they know at some point THEY will be running someone else's and thus they all trust one another...
TigerStripedDog
Marshall
Marshall
Favorite D&D Edition: 5th Edition

Post by TigerStripedDog »

I think I handle it most closely for Jaded - though depending on the character I might have them exit sooner than the next adventure. Sometimes they disappear in the night, with a note that says "I'm sorry, but I can't do this - I fear X and so must take my leave, don't think less of me, signed, Character A". Though that would be pretty drastic. Generally NPC for 1-2 session. And then convert to a permanent NPC ally for the party (assuming they leave on good terms) or an NPC to never be seen again.

And the NPC absolutely keeps all the magical items he started with. The NPC still acts as an independent, and personally motivated character. I suppose maybe a Neutral Good Ranger would consider passing on an item or something, but certainly not anything he had come to use.

Tiger
*unreadable scribble*
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

TigerStripedDog wrote:I think I handle it most closely for Jaded - though depending on the character I might have them exit sooner than the next adventure. Sometimes they disappear in the night, with a note that says "I'm sorry, but I can't do this - I fear X and so must take my leave, don't think less of me, signed, Character A". Though that would be pretty drastic. Generally NPC for 1-2 session. And then convert to a permanent NPC ally for the party (assuming they leave on good terms) or an NPC to never be seen again.

And the NPC absolutely keeps all the magical items he started with. The NPC still acts as an independent, and personally motivated character. I suppose maybe a Neutral Good Ranger would consider passing on an item or something, but certainly not anything he had come to use.

Tiger
same here.. I generally go with this approach. NPC ... IF that player ever returns for a single session, I may let them play their former character again, but then back to NPC.

I definitely DO NOT ever let anyone else play someone else's characters. Tried that once 20+ years ago, will never happen again. People become very attached to their characters and if someone got them killed, holy shit ALL HELL breaks loose! :sucks:
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

Post by Halaster-Blackcloak »

Cole wrote:
I definitely DO NOT ever let anyone else play someone else's characters. Tried that once 20+ years ago, will never happen again. People become very attached to their characters and if someone got them killed, holy shit ALL HELL breaks loose!
I'd agree, most of the time I'd be loathe to allow it. The only reason I've generally allowed it is because, as I said before, the groups I've gamed with have for the most part been groups of good friends outside the game. So they really trusted each other to do their best to keep the other person's character alive. It doesn't happen often, but there have been occasions. But in a group where the players are just gaming together, I'd go with the rest of you and make the PC an NPC for the duration.