If you could only pick...

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

If you could only pick...

Post by Halaster-Blackcloak »

Ok, time for a fun thread!

If you could only pick a limited number of AD&D items, what would they be? Here are the parameters of the game...

Assume you have the core books, which in the case of 1E would be:

1E DMG
1E PHB
1E MM1
1E MM2

In the case of 2E, they would be:

2E DMG
2E PHB
2E MM (or MC Vol. 1 & Vol. 2)

So you have the basics covered, in either edition. Or, if like me you play a mix of 1E/2E, assume you have all of the above (core books from each edition).

What you now have to do is decide on the following:

You can pick ONE hardcover AD&D book, ONE softcover module/adventure, ONE campaign setting, ONE softcover accessory book (such as the HR series or the DMGR series, class handbooks, etc.), and ONE additional box set of any sort (adventure, setting, etc.). The softcover adventure module can be one of the super-modules if you choose. You can mix editions (1st & 2nd) at will. My choices would be:

Hardcover AD&D Book: 1E Deities & Demigods
Softcover Adventure/Module: City of Skulls (Greyhawk)
Campaign Setting: 1E Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (Gray box)
Softcover Accessory Book: FR10 Old Empires (Forgotten Realms)
Box Set: Ruins of Undermountain (Forgotten Realms)

For me, the hardcover wasn't a difficult choice at all. I love Deities & Demigods and can't imagine being without it.

The adventure choice was tough - very tough! So many classics and great ones to choose from. I settled on City of Skulls because it just may be the single best designed adventure ever written. While I could have picked any number of others (Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, Labyrinth of Madness, G1-3, etc), this one stood out just a hair above because of the introduction of the concept of notoriety and how it was a module that forced the PCs to think - you cannot hack and slash your way through this, and every mistake counts. It just has that something extra.

The campaign setting for me was a no-brainer. The FR Gray Box Set is probably the finest setting ever published.

The softcover accessory book was really tough though...so many great choices. The competitors for me were Monster Mythology, Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, Demihuman Deities, Complete Book of Necromancers... so many choices. But I had to settle on FR10 Old Empires. So much packed into that tiny booklet - tons of history and site descriptions (far more than enough to run a campaign in an Egyptian/Sumerian/Babylonian setting), scores of new spells and magic items, some cool monsters, and one of the best pieces of cover art ever!

And when it comes to box sets, did anyone in their right mind even fantasize that I might pick anything other than Ruins of Undermountain? :roll: :wink:

Next batter up...
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

Re: If you could only pick...

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

Cool game Halastar, it kind of reminds me of the old 'If you were going to live on a deserted island, what ten CD's would you bring?' game! I'm going to have to hold off on participating for a little while. Besides working a lot I've been spending almost all of my free time on an in person, non-fiction creative writing class I'm taking. You'd be surprised how much time you spend editing and re-editing stories when you know that you're going to actually be reading them to people! For me, most of these categories are going to require some thought.
_Matt_
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

Oh yeah, editing. I have a major presentation to make to the security committee of a major university and man, I have re-written and tweaked it about 20 times to get it letter perfect. And the Ruins of Undermountain III: The Deadly Levels project over at the BIP Project website - there are rooms I have re-written half a dozen times because they just weren't good enough the first five times. I hear ya! :wink:

Come to think of it, you reminded me of an old post I made somewhere else, about being on a deserted island and only being able to have 5 albums, 5 books, 5 games, 5 foods, 5 favorite toys, etc. I gotta find that and post it. Now THAT ONE was hard!
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

Ok, I just posted a revised version of that super difficult uber-poll in the Tavern sub-forum.