DM Trick: Moving Battle

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

lanir
Freeman
Freeman

DM Trick: Moving Battle

Post by lanir »

One of the things I've found great use for is movement in battle when running a game. This doesn't work very well with a battlemat setup, or at least it'll require someone else to adapt it. As far as I can tell, the primary purpose of attacks of opportunity was to keep people from moving around a lot and exposing how messed up movement was. :)

The way it works is you first throw too many enemies at your PCs. A bit more than they can likely handle. This is okay, because their foes will not be piling up on them. Decide how many foes you would like to attack them at any given time and then keep things moving. Run that many past the group and attack with them each round. This makes sense with pack hunters like wolves and also with mobs of humanoids, especially if they're mounted. The terrain can change how this looks quite a bit. In open areas a wolf pack tactic of surrounding the PC group and attacks from the sides or wherever they're not looking at the moment make sense. Mounted knights charging on a road are probably going to stay on it and charge back and forth.

The idea transcends systems. I've used it in 2nd edition D&D, Earthdawn, and basic set D&D. I'm sure I could use it in other systems as well as long as there aren't map complications.

Example fight:

In a 2nd edition D&D game I had a paladin, fighter, ranger, and crusader (all second level) against a fop (non-combatant enemy leader) and his dozen mounted knights wielding ranseurs (all one hit die). They met on a road and the PCs started combat by getting two rounds to fire ranged weapons at them before they'd be in melee range, but would need one round to swap weapons if they did so. They did a bit of damage and then half the knights were attacking back. All the PCs ended up being attacked at first but as they whittled away at the enemy and described a loose wedge formation, the attacks were concentrated on the most heavily armored PC with some slipping past to attack other front-liners. Every round, which of the two groups of foes was attacking would switch. Towards the middle, an enemy rogue (fifth level but fighting alone at the rear with no backup against armored PCs) took advantage of the situation to try to sneak in. He failed and was noticed, but kept the party busy in the rear as well. For story reasons, the PCs hated the fop and killed him with arrows. Once this happened the remaining knights fought to the death, also for story reasons.

The end result knocked two PCs unconscious, one of whom was revived in battle. The enemy rogue surrendered. And the players felt like they'd just won an epic battle. If I'd played it differently where all the foes could have attacked from the start, I probably would have slaughtered most of the group. Dividing it up let them live through it. Keeping the enemies in motion made it more interesting for the players to visualize. Ranks of foes just twiddling their thumbs and waiting for their comrades to die so they can stab at the PCs always felt off to me.

Hopefully someone finds this idea useful for their games. :)
RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

Re: DM Trick: Moving Battle

Post by RPG Dinosaur »

lanir wrote: Keeping the enemies in motion made it more interesting for the players to visualize. Ranks of foes just twiddling their thumbs and waiting for their comrades to die so they can stab at the PCs always felt off to me. :)
I can easily see why this would work to make it more interesting for players to visualize...and I'm glad the fop got a bunch of arrows stuck in him. :D
_Matt_
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Post by Halaster-Blackcloak »

Always good strategy! I love having moving enemies. In one game, the PCs were on foot and they were attacked by a bunch of barbarian types on horse. They attacked from every possible angle, making it hard for the PCs to coordinate. Another good idea is to slowly add more enemies to the mix. A fighter facing off against 3 enemies with backup help from a wizard may not be too difficult - until two more enemies pop out to ambush the wizard and two more run to flank the fighter. :twisted: My players hate "wave attacks", which I use for intelligent and/or devious enemies. Why expose all your troops to the PC wizard's fireball when you can send them in 5 at a time from different directions? While they focus on the attack from the north, two more enemies pop up from the east and west. Like velociraptors. :twisted:
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by garhkal »

Additionally, having enemies who USE the environment and their shamas/witch doctors to help, can be real nasty!..

Several great battlefield spells in the Tome of Magic (Such as fortify, entrench etc) are awesome!
Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Post by Halaster-Blackcloak »

I once had some orc shamans wipe the hell out of a party. They had simply spells, custom picked for that adventure. They used entangle to...well, entangle!...the PCs, then hit them with swarms of insects. As the PCs struggled to get free and were getting distracted with the insects, the archers started using them as human voodoo dolls! :twisted:

A tactic I picked up from a player who used spells creatively was to use dig to dig a hole into the side of a hill/tiny mountain, just below a cliff-like area. That caused the area above it to collapse. I couldn't see anything in the rule that would indicate that dig must go vertical instead of horizontal, or that it must be used on the ground. So I used that myself once. :twisted:
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by garhkal »

Halaster-Blackcloak wrote: A tactic I picked up from a player who used spells creatively was to use dig to dig a hole into the side of a hill/tiny mountain, just below a cliff-like area. That caused the area above it to collapse. I couldn't see anything in the rule that would indicate that dig must go vertical instead of horizontal, or that it must be used on the ground. So I used that myself once. :twisted:
One of my players when he read the 2e spell "Soften earth and stone" started trying to find all sorts of uses for it.. Such as 'standing on a walk way between 2 cliffs, one going up, one going further down, then casting it to make the 'down one' wider, to cause some orcs charging him to fall..
Or casting it on a rickety temple that had already some colapsed walls, to make a whole side cave in on some margoyals inside..