Who is actually Gaming?

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Who is actually Gaming?

Post by Brightmantle »

So, I am wondering who has an ad&d campaign going? I see alot of lookie loo's on these fansites but very few people have games going presently. Mostly I see folks reliving the olden days.
I play and or run several campaigns right now. Here's my current game roster:
ad&d 2nd ed. Greyhawk game- D.m. frequency: twice per week. Duration 3 years.
ad&d Dragonlance game- player. frequency: 2 times per month. Duration 2 years.
ad&d Forgotten Realms game-player. frequency: varies, scattered. Duration about 15 months on and off. My son d.m.'s this game.
Pathfinder game- player. frequency: infrequent, varies, dislike the game mechanics."bleh" I'm trying.

So who's gaming out there?
A king without a sword, the land without a king!
eliana
Vagabond
Vagabond
Favorite D&D Edition: 3rd Edition

Re: Who is actually Gaming?

Post by eliana »

I DM 3.5 tabletop biweekly my homebrew setting for many years now !
I play weekly a post apocalyptic D20 Modern setting.

Also enjoy occasionnal ad&d chat games
ohh I have to shamefully admit that I do larping in Vampire:The masquerade...

That's it ... more than the average but never enough or as often as I want to!

Éli,
:D
Last edited by eliana on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raised into Darkness, Awaken by Evil.
Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by Stik »

Given my busy work schedule, and the fact that my tabletop friends and I have various other hobbies and family stuff that eat up our weekend time, the tabletop game has fallen by the wayside.
I do run a PBMB game here on PADnD, though, and play in a couple of others.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Currently running a monthly / sometimes bi-monthly 2E campaign in Arkuth (details online).
Also run my own RPG (post apoc) a few times a year as well as my own Super Hero RPG a few times a year.
All other time is eatin up with life/family/and horrible amounts of coding/gaming projects :)
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
LadyWinterWolf
Freeman
Freeman

Post by LadyWinterWolf »

We used to host several gaming groups at my home in PA; PAHWG was the most popular and we met several members of Planet in person who visited, or actally were close enough to join our group.

After moving to Utah, we found that hardly anyone around here plays at all; Magic the Gathering is more popular. We tried getting people interested, but nothing happened; in fact, the one gaming/comic store that was local eventually closed down. With my hubby's work schedule, he doesn't have the time to play table top or online anymore. I've fallen out of love with online gaming; I can't be available 24/7 and too many games are like that due to the easier access now with smartphones, tablets, etc. We have an entire bookcase full of 1E to 3.5E collecting dust. :(
Long live the Witch Queen!!!
Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Brightmantle »

LadyWinterWolf wrote:We used to host several gaming groups at my home in PA; PAHWG was the most popular and we met several members of Planet in person who visited, or actally were close enough to join our group.

After moving to Utah, we found that hardly anyone around here plays at all; Magic the Gathering is more popular. We tried getting people interested, but nothing happened; in fact, the one gaming/comic store that was local eventually closed down. With my hubby's work schedule, he doesn't have the time to play table top or online anymore. I've fallen out of love with online gaming; I can't be available 24/7 and too many games are like that due to the easier access now with smartphones, tablets, etc. We have an entire bookcase full of 1E to 3.5E collecting dust. :(
That just is heart breaking. I'm sorry. If you ever make it out to California I'll play with you guys. Downer :badday:
LadyWinterWolf
Freeman
Freeman

Post by LadyWinterWolf »

Brightmantle wrote:
That just is heart breaking. I'm sorry. If you ever make it out to California I'll play with you guys. Downer :badday:

Thank you, I know we would gladly take you up on your offer. I hope the cobwebs on our dice won't be too thick.
Long live the Witch Queen!!!
eliana
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by eliana »

I must admit in some case LOCATION is the key for gaming survival... :welcome:

You need a critical mass to find players or at least some probies you can slowly convert.
Even in that case, people have to be compatible. You may have to endure various situations to keep gaming.
If you are lucky, you can choose a group according to your style and compatibility...

Éli,
:archer:
Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Brightmantle »

Ya it can be tough for sure. This is why having a stable base for a group is a must.
eliana
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by eliana »

I'm blessed with a very stable tabletop gaming group... and I'm very thankfull about it!

My issues are...with time...

#1 A few are limited in their ability to role-play anything but 1 or 2 personas, styles or classes :roll:
#2 They(at one or two exceptions) only want to play fantasy D&D 3.5, not willing to try anything else even for a serie of games... :(
#3 My group of players is my whole limited friend circle by now, removing/changing one lazy or less compatible player would create a situation... I lived it once and still bear the psychological scars. :freak:
#4 In 3.5 some role-play because quickly skill base "Roll"-play and even with some drastic measure it remains a major problem when it is so easy and lazy to just roll it... :tired:
#5 I feel limited in my choices, my abilities to grow and become a better gamer(DM\GM) in general...
#6 Nobody else create games that I might play in(tabletop) so I'm haunting the chat games

Still I'm privilege to have a group and a game... :thumbs:

Éli,
Crasez58
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Crasez58 »

Guys I don't know if I mentioned this but I run a game weekly on Friday nights that is 2e set in my carnth campaign anyone is welcome it helps me sharpen my skills as a dm as well as blow off steam from school any of y'all are more than welcome to stop by just send me a pm and have a mic :D
The single most dangerous thing in all of Krynn is to hear a Kender say "oops".
JadedDM
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by JadedDM »

I'm running four games here at Planet; two Dragonlance, two homebrewed.
TigerStripedDog
Marshall
Marshall
Favorite D&D Edition: 5th Edition

Post by TigerStripedDog »

I am playing as:

Vahnomander - Atlantean (think a world's very rare version of Elven, only immortal instead of long lived, and sans elven features... also has an XP penalty) Fighter-Mage. A character inspired by Anomander Rake of Steven Ericsson's Malazan: Book of the Fallen. Playing in a homebrew.

Brutus J Hardknocks - Dwarven Fighter-Thief, bit of a thug. Out for himself and for money. Dragonlance, running through "Night Below".

I am DMing:

Nothing at the moment, looking to pick it up again.

TSD
*unreadable scribble*
rredmond
Peddler
Peddler

Post by rredmond »

I play face to face AD&D 1E with my oldest daughters, on a semi regular basis. The 12yo and 10yo really enjoy it, and the 7yo joined in last time! My 3yo is still a bit young, but she enjoys the dice! :)
Every couple of months we play with my buddy Pete and his two oldest, he lives in Philly and we try to get the families together regular, I went to Carnegie-Mellon U with Pete.

A couple times a year myself and a couple of other South Jersey/Philly based old schools get together when Allan "grodog" Grohe is in town to explore his Iounic Caverns. That's always a good time.

I play a lot of OSRIC/1E PbP on www.unseenservant.us - there I play in two games and DM one game. Hmm, right now both my PCs are thief class (one human and one hobbit) though I've had a ranger and a cleric too at one point. I'm DMing three games, Pacesetter Games Legacy of the Unknown which has been going for over 2 years now; Matt Finch's The Pod Caverns of the Sinister Shroom which has been good fun; and A1 Slave Pits of the Undercity, which I threw together because we had too many new players looking for games, but it's been a fun one as well, using the classic pre-gens from the module.

Good times!
--Ron--
http://www.unseenservant.us
for Play by Post gaming!