New and wondering

Back from the past? Been Lurking and finally want to say hi? Or simply new to the Planet? This is the place to introduce yourself to everyone else.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

molotdet
Peasant
Peasant

New and wondering

Post by molotdet »

hey Hi guys been lurking about a week and I need to ask a question.

I have been running ADnD since 1982 and I have been using the same homebrew campaign world since about 1987. the world is all in second edition which i guess is the largest reason that I havent moved on to a new system (well that and a bunch of other grognardy reasons but i digress). Anyway, i have been having a really hard time getting players for quite a few years and i really want to run my world again. I figure updating it to a newer system might get me a little more interest from younger or newer players. But I need something I am going to be able to master fairly quickly + I need to convert a lot of world specific classes, races, etc. So the question is...

What system is the most likely to attract new players?

before you answer know this... There is no possibility I am going to use 4th edition and 5th edition doesn't seem like it is going to be what I want to play either. I actually really like the Burning Wheel but it is kind of heavy for people to learn and it has little to know support. I want something that is going to give me the closest fee to second edition ADnD so that I don't hate playing but will give both new and vet players what they want.

I would make this a poll but I really don't know whats out there other than 3.5/Pathfinder

So let the battle begin. :puke:
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Re: New and wondering

Post by Cole »

well... I was pretty much in the same boat as you and it's not a edition specific thing i found out. It's just a matter of finding players period! :lol:

I'm currently making a whole new realm online (as you may have noticed) and it's ALL 2E. Have 3 players of all ages (16, 37, 47) and all are having a great time. The youngster is loving the game thus far and he learns what is taught. So in my professional DM opinion... stick with your 2E realm, don't waist time converting. Spend that time locating players instead ;)
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Post by Stik »

Edition war starting in 3...2...1...

Actually, my advice is simple: play what edition you like. In a properly run roleplaying game, the rules should be more or less transparent.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Jenara
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Jenara »

Stik wrote:Edition war starting in 3...2...1...

Actually, my advice is simple: play what edition you like. In a properly run roleplaying game, the rules should be more or less transparent.
Just like the man says, play what you like, hell you can play without rules if that takes your fancy.
"Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

No Rules?

What would all the "rules lawyers" do??? :roll:
Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe

Post by Stik »

Around here, rules lawyers get beaten into submission with a pillowcase full of d20s.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
doomer
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by doomer »

Stik wrote:Around here, rules lawyers get beaten into submission with a pillowcase full of d20s.
(In my Prfoessor Frink voice).....

Actually, according to a note Gary Gygax once left on a napkin at a Denny's....the only die that can be used for corporal punishment is the d12.

All kidding aside, the consensus has it--use the rules you see fit. If there's something about 2e that you think makes it hard/less fun for your players--change it.

I'm trapped back in 1e, so my bias would be to steer you that way. But that works for me, and maybe not right for you.
--Doomer
"Trying is the first step in failure"-Homer Simpson
molotdet
Peasant
Peasant

Post by molotdet »

To make it be known, I recently moved to a different state so I now have no players to speak of.

There is nothing wrong with 2nd edition as far as I am concerned other than the fact that i seem to have a hard time finding players. this may have as much to do with my location as it does the system or the fact that I don't know anyone from the area. There are a few people near me that play but they all play 3.5 or PF i think.

Really I just want to run a game.
Breila
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Breila »

Finding new players, or, if you find any, find a date and time to play can be challenging.

My solution was to play here in the game forums, first as a player only and recently also as a game master. Several games on the forum are homebrew 2e, and mine (Saltmarsh) is drifting towards that.
La felicità porta fortuna
Jenara
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Jenara »

Cole wrote:No Rules?

What would all the "rules lawyers" do??? :roll:
Get knotted?
Stik wrote:Actually, according to a note Gary Gygax once left on a napkin at a Denny's....the only die that can be used for corporal punishment is the d12.
The best Die is of course many d4s strewn all over the place! Ever told on one? Far worse than any plug! I have a specially sharpened one for pesky players.
"Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Cole »

Stik wrote:Around here, rules lawyers get beaten into submission with a pillowcase full of d20s.
HAHAHA! Now that's my kinda punishment :)
Shao Khan
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Shao Khan »

molotdet wrote: What system is the most likely to attract new players?
Doesn't matter. Make it fun. Be the boss. Take their obvious likes and wrap plots around them. More player research less books.
Any edition can be a favorite if you do it rite.