different strokes for different cloaks

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderator: Stik

Wizard_of_Wumbo
Freeman
Freeman
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

different strokes for different cloaks

Post by Wizard_of_Wumbo »

so...i always thought magic cloaks were one of the coolest types of magical items. I mean cloaks of flying that turn into a giant pair of wings?! who wouldnt want that?! so i was thinking, what is the most useful, interesting, or downright bizarre magical cloak you can think of? please give a description of its abilities and its look...if you would be so kind as to do so :D
Jenara
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Jenara »

Bolder's Cloak of the Rogue.. adds +10 to all rogue skills, has 4 bags of holding and is +7 to AC etc.... its pretty cool.
"Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."
Bert_the_Turtle
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Bert_the_Turtle »

There was this fairytale I remember seeing on TV while growing up. The hero got this dashing red cape. In game terms it would function as a cloak of invisibility (if not Improved Invisibility) that granted True Seeing while cloaked (as he could see through illusions, fully immersive ones) while invisible.

That would be an awesome cloak. Or maybe its only because I love that story so much ^^
"So, how much experience do I get for the peasant?"
Wizard_of_Wumbo
Freeman
Freeman

no i agree, i always thought cloaks of invisibility were underrated...
Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe

Post by Stik »

Erik the Viking had a cloak of invisibility that was the size of a hand towel. Amazing device, that.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Jenara
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Jenara »

Jenara wrote:Bolder's Cloak of the Rogue.. adds +10 to all rogue skills, has 4 bags of holding and is +7 to AC etc.... its pretty cool.
Man that came over as being rather ummm... Munchkin didnt it? lol

Was thinking of a cloak of Invsiblity too....
Its rather cliche but the things you could do all flashy wrapping yourself up in this cloak and vanishing. Shame it only really worked for thieves, because They could still hear you.

Cloaks of displacement work quite well too...

Jen (the Character) had a Cloak of protection +3 I think. It could be a simple necklace to a full length fur one, it adapted with what she was wearing on command.
Wizard_of_Wumbo
Freeman
Freeman

a cloak of endure elements (cold)...isnt that just a heavy blanket or heavy fur pelt of some kind?

wait...the cloak adapted to anything? like...what would happen if she was naked?...actually on second thought, dont tell me :roll:
Jenara
Town Crier
Town Crier

Post by Jenara »

Wizard_of_Wumbo wrote: wait...the cloak adapted to anything? like...what would happen if she was naked?...actually on second thought, dont tell me :roll:
I did say on command!

Basically, it could be whatever it needed to be, to match her outfit. So yes, if she was make
it would just change to cover her if required! it could also be a small necklace.. (i guess that should be posted on Stiks custom magic page.)

Hey, the old planet had a custom magical item thread.. I recall it was full (spammed) with MT's creations. Maybe we should bring that back???
First rule should be: NO MULTIPLE WANDS1!!!

This is the PC who had a Portable Hole as a walk in wardrobe, it had an oxygen supply and everything (plants, some idea we had based on spellljammer, thinking back now, they would have had no light and died)... she got rather high level, the challenge went... now i'm rambling....
Wizard_of_Wumbo
Freeman
Freeman

Oh yeah! isnt a cloak of enduring heat kinda pointless? i mean, a cloak would just make you warmer, it just seems ridiculous that someone would make one of those.

my characters just tend to carry two sets of clothing...thats it. They get washed when they get washed :D
Bert_the_Turtle
Peasant
Peasant

Some clothing is actually designed to pull heat and moisture away from your body and protect you from the sun. So a cloak of protection vs. heat does make sense~
Wizard_of_Wumbo
Freeman
Freeman

damnit bert! dont involve science! :lol:
Bert_the_Turtle
Peasant
Peasant

Just wait til my illiterate Int 6 Half-Orc Barbarian Thog tries to invent gunpowder after I watch the episode of Star Trek where Kirk fights the Gorn :P
Wizard_of_Wumbo
Freeman
Freeman

*hides under a table* im scared... :lol:
Crimson-Kobold
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Crimson-Kobold »

Bert_the_Turtle wrote:Just wait til my illiterate Int 6 Half-Orc Barbarian Thog tries to invent gunpowder after I watch the episode of Star Trek where Kirk fights the Gorn :P
Pfft. That will never work :P

I should know, I watched that episode of mythbusters :P
The Kobold gonna kobold.
Ismaels-Legacy
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Ismaels-Legacy »

I remember the Cloak of Resistance to Heat! It was in a Dragonlance novel and was worn by one of the Knights of the Rose. They were the knights for Takhisis and wore black plate mail all the time. To endure that, they also work Cloaks of Heat Resistance.
Iron-Fist Ismael