Costumes at the D&D Table

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe
Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Costumes at the D&D Table

Post by Stik »

It's a cliche - a bunch of D&D nerds sitting around the table dressed as their characters. I saw it pop up most recently on an episode of Married at First Sight, where one of the grooms is a D&D player.
But in forty four years of playing, I have never sat at a table with anyone playing in costume, and (with the possible exception of playing at a con, where someone was cosplaying, too) I have never even seen anyone playing D&D in costume.
So where does the idea come from, that we dress up to play?
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster
Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Re: Costumes at the D&D Table

Post by Cole »

Sometimes I have dressed up, but it's always for DMing. It's great for ambience. I have played in one game only where everyone dressed as their PC's. BEST GAME EVER!
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe

Post by Stik »

I dressed all in black to DM the Castle Ravenloft module back in the late 80s. But I used to dress all in black a lot back in those days. And now.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
New Hegdeh
Merchant
Merchant

Post by New Hegdeh »

As a DM, isn't it costumary that anyone whose character gets a Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity must roleplay the change, full with appropriate costume?
Every minute is a year of struggle