Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

The Brink [of Madness] Act 1, Scene 1

A classic 2e Puzzle dungeon for High Level characters
Beware, this one is substantially longer and (IMHO) even harder than the legendary Tomb of Horrors!

Moderator: TristenC

Styrius
Peddler
Peddler
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: The Brink [of Madness] Act 1, Scene 1

Post by Styrius »

"Does anyone have the ability or skill to detect or find traps or detect magic? It is a limitation of mine that I can do neither. I do have a rather vague but unsettling feeling that something will happen and we won't know about it. I have seen masters of the magical arts be able to find such things by speaking and gesturing and things then light up."
You are talkin' to the holy symbol wearing,
Ruby ring wearing, kiss stealing; Woo!
Praying/healing, beholder riding, griffin flying
Son of a blowgun, and I'm having a hard time holding these Aboleth shoes down! WOO!
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"I can detect magic a couple times per day, when needed." Jag thinks back to his spell prep, thankful he remembered to prepare the detections.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Ke'Sha waves Axid notion away. "Just follow..." Ke'Sha always had sixth sense regarding dangers that might find him. He had learned to count on this sense, but now, he notices that he can't get the same for the senses transferred to him by the skeleton and it worries him. He commands the skeleton to wait until he will close the gap to 10 meters behind him, walking by his Ogre zombie and now his own senses compensate.
========================================================
(OOC: Well, Gur can detect magic and good at will, so I assume it is just a natural ability.)
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

[Yes, Gur and Binky can use it at will, but scanning an area about 60 ft takes a round and they can travel faster than that. So basically i am asking if he is traveling slow enough to scan everything, or moving at his normal rate and scanning about half of the path they are traveling ]
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

=============================================
(OOC: Yeah, given the average speed of the undead group, and being a tiny halfling, I'm fine with walking slowly.
Ke'Sha doesn't mind to rush death in general, except his own. :) )
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

The odd procession moves deliberately down the winding stair-walled pit; the invisible quasits scanning the area with their special vision as the skeleton continues ahead. After a few hundred feet it comes to an end next to an open archway. Gur calls back to Ke'Sha as Binky does to Allikahn.

Hey, that last step is magi... Something wrong on the bottom sta...Hey, @$$hole, I saw it first! Up y... Pfft, the hells you did you slimy little... the conversation between two demons devolves into name-calling and rude gestures as the skeleton plods onwards toward the bottom.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Ke'Sha commands the skeleton to stop. He switches his attention to see through the Quasit vision and looks at the step. Once he gets clear understanding he suggests Gur will take safe distance and instructs the skeleton to jump over the last step.
Afterwards he makes sure all his gang follows suit, and he himself using the airwalk, easily avoids... well, all the steps.
Once everyone is on the clear he tells Allikahn, "It seems the little ones gets along. Didn't expect an interesting company. Glad to be surprised."
Styrius
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Styrius »

Somewhat intrigued, somewhat confused, and somewhat annoyed, Axid heeds the actions of the group and follows the rest in jumping over the last step.
Son of a blowgun, and I'm having a hard time holding these Aboleth shoes down! WOO!
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Jag follows suit, taking care to skip the step like the rest.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

One by one the skeleton and the others avoid contact with the step by passing over it. With the group collected at the flat area in the bottom of the pit, the skeleton proceeds down the archway exiting the area.

Almost immediately the new passage opens up to a small landing hang out into the black emptiness of a cavern. The stone outcropping is barely wide enough for the party to assemble on without standing too close to the edge. What appears to be a series of steel rods have been sunk into the stone here holding up a chain bridge (not wholly unlike the rope bridges used by Elves) spanning into the darkness an indeterminate distance ahead. The chain and bars are dim as if coated by weaponblack, and bear no rust nor damage. The sag and drop of the chain indicate that they cannot see even halfway across at the limit of their 60' infravision.

Deep below into the black pit before them can gradually be spotted small pockets of green and yellow light... dim glows that remind one of the phosphorescent mushrooms and things that grow pockets in the deepest forests... The cavern must be massive indeed... The faint lights below take the shape of a hillside... or a mound... it must be far closer than the illumination accounts for, or truly huge indeed...
Attachments
0-Cavern.JPG
Styrius
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Styrius »

Axid observes what he can making note of the lack of sturdy dwarves craftsmanship. He falls in line behind the group ahead making sure to minimize sway of the bridge.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Ke'Sha asks Gur to fly forward and check if the bridge and the cave below it is safe, all the while he concentrates on the Quasit vision and magic detection.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Gur curses and spits over the side of the ledge. What? The whole bridge? Uuuggghhh... mortals are so f5king lazy!

I know, right? They're always saying 'Binky do this... Binky Kill that... Binky contact hell and tell me the dark secrets of the universe... f5king annoying.

Binky, Allikhain says with obvious relish, Go help him, it will go faster that way.

Wut? Aaaawww... m0t#3rF5cker... This is all your fault. Binky whines at Gur, who chuckles evilly. Shoot for the bridge? The two quasits become visible for a moment, and a quick and crude series of rock-noose-sickle ensues (apparently a more violent variation on an older game). After several minutes of arguing, additional claims of cheating and an impressive amount of profanity the pair finally split up to search.

Binky, who has now taken the form of a 2-dimensional shadow shaped like a demon (see Lucy from the show Disenchantment), heads off to inspect the bridge. Gur descends towards the bottom of the canyon, griping as he becomes invisible once again.

So hard to find evil help these days. Allikhain says aside to Ke'sha, her voice tinged with humor.

===
The sesrch will take some time if they are using the detection abilities as well. Is anyone else doing anything in the mean-time?
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Ke'Sha side looks at Allikhain and says bitterly, "Well, I found your evil help. So not that difficult..." but he doesn't engage in the conversation and says to all, "Better move away from the last step, we don't need to rush your death." he moves towards the bridge and urges the company to move with him and he focuses his senses on the Bear Zombie guarding their backs to make sure no harm comes from the magical trap.
If he is reassured that no immediate danger is present anymore and the Quasits had tested 200' of the bridge he will send Rror 20' forward and will start to cross it as well.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Jag will wait to be the 3rd or 4th on the Bridge.