Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

The Brink [of Madness] Act 1, Scene 1

A classic 2e Puzzle dungeon for High Level characters
Beware, this one is substantially longer and (IMHO) even harder than the legendary Tomb of Horrors!

Moderator: TristenC

Styrius
Peddler
Peddler
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: The Brink [of Madness] Act 1, Scene 1

Post by Styrius »

Axid looks at the camp member with the paper and writing instrument. “If you can read, write, and draw then get ready otherwise hand over the items to someone that can. I will mentally scan the cave so we know what we are heading into.” (Axid prepares to perform clairvoyance).
You are talkin' to the holy symbol wearing,
Ruby ring wearing, kiss stealing; Woo!
Praying/healing, beholder riding, griffin flying
Son of a blowgun, and I'm having a hard time holding these Aboleth shoes down! WOO!
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Ke'Sha raises an eyebrow and follows Axid movement trying to figure out any details about this "cave scan". If he won't detect any signs that matches arcane art or divine intervention he will approach him and ask directly, "How do you do that?"
Styrius
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Styrius »

Axid replies to Ke’sha “Psionics, the power of the mind. I was too lazy to carry around spell books and various materials to bend reality in the way I wanted. So after some practice and some positive, life-affirming, affirmations I can bend reality to my will easily. There are limitations just as your magic has.” Axid looks around to see who has the pen and paper to take notes before attempting to scan.
Son of a blowgun, and I'm having a hard time holding these Aboleth shoes down! WOO!
Styrius
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Styrius »

Axid continues: "I believe it would be wise of our group to not just rush into the unknown. It would seem that prudent actions will win the day. To that end those that have the magic or divine backing memorize or pray for all the divination spells you have at your disposal. We can ascertain a layout of this place and what perils may await us by divining, scrying, and the like. This camp seems to be a somewhat "safe" area from which to launch our divine, magical and mental attacks. My initial attempts will start around 100 yards down this cave and I will continue to 'peer' into this system helping to map it out." (OOC: Axid will scry every 100 yards upon a successful power check. He will call out to the 'scribe' what he sees at each point. If a power check fails, he will attempt the same spot again until success. He will attempt 9 scrys if all are successful that will get 900 yards of mapping accomplished. The other party members can add to this with their talents and help make this go faster.) Clairvoyance - needs a 12 or less [_9d20]=(14+13+20+19+16+17+5+3+15)=122, Blindness: [1d4]=4 (If he were rolling to hit this would be awesome. The Labyrinth seems to be hard at work already.)
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Axid closes his eyes and concentrates. At first, there seems to be some... resistance Whether the hazards of the dangerous jungle of his immediate environment crept into his mind, or the twisting depths of the darkness within the cavern coiled and slithered about his intent in a serpentine manner, he could not rightly say. Harder and harder he concentrates, until he opens his eyes to gain his bearings and finds naught but the fathomless depth of utter darkness... Being well experienced in this science he understands the potential cost of his attempts... temporary blindness. Though with the understanding that it eventually shall pass. Taking a few more minutes, his mind's eye finally discerns what his now sightless physical orbs are unable to...

A space, like a winding natural cavern the breadth of a wagon and the height of a man winds down into the earth... reaching again with his sight beyond sight the Dwarf sends his psyche forward to perceive the continuation of that tunnel some 100 yards farther down... At the end of the ordeal he steadies himself, peering back at his companions with milky-white eyes. It appears the cavern is a natural formation, clear of obvious traps or hazards that a Dwarf might detect (infravision, racial stone-knowledge) at the 100 and 200 yard increments (with some gaps between b/c of 60 ft infravision)

So far, it just seems like natural cavers the first 200 yards

====
Axid attempts to use Clairvoyance at 100 yards (no penalty)
Need (Wis -4) = 12, need 12 or less to pass
[1d20] = 14, failure! (spent half cost of 7 rounded up = 4 psps)
2nd attempt [1d20] = 13, failure! (spent half cost of 7 rounded up = 4 psps)
3rd attempt [1d20] = 20 Critical failure!!! (spent half cost of 7 rounded up = 4 psps) AND is Blinded for [1d4] = 4 hours!!!
Axid is Blind for the next 4 hours unless Cured; though he can still 'see' through a successful Clairvoyance activation.
4th attempt [1d20] = 19, failure! (spent half cost of 7 rounded up = 4 psps)
5th attempt [1d20] = 16, failure! (spent half cost of 7 rounded up = 4 psps)
6th attempt [1d20] = 17, failure! (spent half cost of 7 rounded up = 4 psps)
7th attempt [1d20] = 5, pass! Axid scry's the area 100 yards ahead (with 60ft radius infravision) (= 7 psps)
[-2 between 100 yards and 1000 yards]
Need (Wis -4) = 12 (-2 for >100 AND <1000 yards) need 10 or less to pass
8th attempt [1d20] = 3, pass! Axid scry's the area 100 yards ahead of the previous area (with 60ft radius infravision) (= 7 psps)
9th attempt [1d20] = 15, failure! (spent half cost of 7 rounded up = 4 psps)

Axid spends 42 psps and discovers two 60 ft radius sections of natural cave centered on 100 and 200 yds away from the cave entrance.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Ke'Sha observes Axid with interest.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Axid closes his eyes and envisions some of the spaces ahead, but the others see only the look of concentration about his face. At one point he blinks and his eyes have gone milky-white, and sightless to his surroundings, but he continues his efforts unabated. (Styrius can describe what he sees if he wishes as simply a natural cavern continuing down into the earth)

Meanwhile, Allikhain carefully phrases her questions, and the answers come
1. Who made it (the scepter): The Dryis priest, Im-Ravin
2. What are its powers: Only Im-Ravin knows; aside from it's ability to contain a soul. (meaning Sorril)
3. How can we free the Paladin from it: By bathing the crystal in the pool from which it was created.
4. Do the symbols correspond to something in the labyrinth?: The symbols are repeated throughout the Labyrinth
5. Do the symbols have to do with the health of Sorril? No
6. Does changing the symbols do something to the use of the scepter?: Impossible
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"Right. So we have a cave, a blind seer and we need to dip the specter in a crystal pool. Good work. Let's move." Ke'Sha urges the company to take action.
Styrius
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Styrius »

Axid states "The Labyrinth is guarding itself well." He knew that this might be the case and when his attempts met with some resistance he got an expected result. He deals with it by healing himself. Power score for Cell adjustment(CON-3):Needs 13 or lower. [1d20]=8 His eyes adjust and he states "Rushing into this is poor judgement. This place seems built to wear you down and catch you when you do something stupid."
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"Right. That's why I hoped you will go first and lead. OK, let's prepare." Ke'Sha barely manages to delay his yawn for few moments.
=====================================================================================
(OOC: Ke'Sha assumed everyone is already prepared with all protective possible means they have, and understood any scrying was already done. Eventually we will have to step inside.
So, let's list daily routine of spells and other means to protect and enhance everyone abilities.

Contingency with any other spells to take effect when save or die (teleport, resistance, spell reflection)

protection:
Stoneskin,
Phantom armor, (other armors?),
Invulnerability globes,
Improved invisibility,
Gaze reflection,
Alternate reality,
fly,
feather fall,

Divination:
Detect magic, Detect traps, Detect invisibility, Detect secret passages and portals, (True seeing?),

Ability enhancements:
Cat's grace,
Improved Strength,
spider climb,

Attacks:
Fire/Acid based damage against regeneration
Silver weapons vs. lycanthropes

Please feel free to add...
)
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

[Let me know if anyone is actually using spells so i can record them in the tracking header post]
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Allikhain turns to her familiar. Thanks Binky, dear.

Listening to the back and forth among the others, she nods. Yes, I agree. Caution is certainly warranted. Interesting how you look forward with your mind, rather than magic... quite fascinating really.

I don't have any 'viewing' or scrying spells prepared today, but I have some similar divination and protection spells as Ke'Sha has mentioned...
(presuming the list from Bish' last post is stuff his char shared with the group.

But really, Ke'Sha, you could just send one of your.. pets? To walk ahead if you are eager to get moving without further scrying... she suggests
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"Indeed, I was planning to. At least send them in front of *me*. I just wanted to let you play a bit being heroes." he tells Allikhain flatly, no humor in his words.

=========================================================================
(OOC: So, as far as I see most durable spells are of the wizards, but I think I found how to instantly finish the module without effort. ;)
Here it is. There is a spell "Succor" that can either send a person to the priest or send the priest to a person. So I could cast that on the whole group, so I can call them to me. Now, I can call Aerial servant, commanding it to find the pool that frees Sorril from the specter and cammand it to call me to it by the Succor. So he goes invisible and harmlessly, find the pool, call us all to there, we dip the specter and voila. :)

But that way there is no fun right? We are suicidal adventurers after all...

I'll try to post asking for some godly advice using Genius or Divine inspiration, but I do believe we have the info to go in.
Also Ke'Sha will inquire the paladin about few specific enough spots that he will be able to cast "locate object" on them during the adventure to better guide them to the objective.

Ke'sha will probably cast on daily basis:
level 1: Spectral senses (16h), allowing him to "see and feel" through his minions
level 4: Cloak of bravery (8h 1-4 creatures +4 - +1 vs. fear)
level 5: Air walk (17h 1 person)
level 7: Windwalk (16h 3 persons) (Not sure... might need resurrection for you guys ;) which one do you prefer?)

Now, if the wizards can cast on us: Stoneskin, cat's grace, invisibility, strength, phantom armor that would be nice. (long duration spells).

And here and there (but probably here...):
Locate object

Word of recall can be cast on all players before entering, and it lasts until activated I think so somewhat free.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

BishGada wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:17 am
I'll try to post asking for some godly advice using Genius or Divine inspiration, but I do believe we have the info to go in.
Also Ke'Sha will inquire the paladin about few specific enough spots that he will be able to cast "locate object" on them during the adventure to better guide them to the objective.

Ke'sha will probably cast on daily basis:
level 1: Spectral senses (16h), allowing him to "see and feel" through his minions
level 4: Cloak of bravery (8h 1-4 creatures +4 - +1 vs. fear)
level 5: Air walk (17h 1 person)
level 7: Windwalk (16h 3 persons) (Not sure... might need resurrection for you guys ;) which one do you prefer?)

Now, if the wizards can cast on us: Stoneskin, cat's grace, invisibility, strength, phantom armor that would be nice. (long duration spells).

And here and there (but probably here...):
Locate object

Word of recall can be cast on all players before entering, and it lasts until activated I think so somewhat free.
Is Ke'Sha casting any of the 4 spells you mentioned now?

Is he mentioning the request for Stoneskin, cat's grace, invisibility, strength, phantom armor to the wizards?
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

=================================================
(OOC: Well, I posted OOC since I'm not sure what going on. :) We are posting several times before we made the first step, and we are still on the cave entrance...

OOC I do think the wizards should cast these spells if they have them available, on every member of the group.
In game, well, Ke'Sha doesn't know them and wouldn't suggest or demand anything yet. But the wizards/priests may suggest it by themselves.

Are we going into the cave in game now? If so Ke'Sha will cast Spectral senses, Cloak of bravery on himself (+4) and Air walk on himself. Only if others will ask/suggest he may cast Winwalk and Cloak of bravery on more people reducing the bonus.
)