Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Scary Wizard (Private thread) Labyrinth of Madness

A classic 2e Puzzle dungeon for High Level characters
Beware, this one is substantially longer and (IMHO) even harder than the legendary Tomb of Horrors!

Moderator: TristenC

SCARY WIZARD
Peasant
Peasant
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Scary Wizard (Private thread) Labyrinth of Madness

Post by SCARY WIZARD »

Lemme put together my back-up idear for all youse kids.

EDIT - ADDENDUM: Now, does having Minor Access to a certain sphere prevent me from casting Major Access spells from scrolls within that sphere? I am looking, as I have twice before in other games, at Priest of Magic.
EDIT II - ADDENDUM: We came to an agreement at work, it looks like. ACTIVITIES RESUME!
There be pheasants and penguins and booberry trees between the greenest of skies and the whitest of seas
Wertle-wertle-wertle-woo, wertle-woooo...
SCARY WIZARD
Peasant
Peasant

Post by SCARY WIZARD »

Nanes-Il

Half-Elven Priestess of Magic
True Neutral
Myth-Weavers Character Sheet

Level: 16
Experience Points:2000000
-Next Level: 20025000
-Prime Requisite: Intelligence, Wisdom
-Prime Requisite Bonus: +5%

Ability Scores
Strength: 08
Dexterity: 10
Constitution: 10
Intelligence: 15
Wisdom: 18
Charisma: 15

Saving Throws
Paralysis and Poison - 04
Rod, Staff, or Wand - 08
Petrification and Polymorphing - 07
Breath Weapons - 10
Spells - 09
Note: Nanes-Il's cloak of displacement gives her a +2 bonus on Saving Throws versus spells that target her directly.

Special Abilities - Half-Elf
30% resistance to charm and sleep-related spells.
Able to see up to 60' in darkness.
1-in-6 chance of finding secret or concealed doors. 1-3 while actively searching for hidden, 1-in-2 for concealed.

Special Abilities - Cleric (Priestess of Magic)
Spell Use (Divine)
Major Spheres: All, Astral, Charm, Divination, Elemental, Healing, Protection, Summoning
Minor Spheres: Animal, Guardian, Necromantic, Plant, Sun, Weather
Inspire Fear (2/day)
Language/Communication
Turn undead
Infravision (120')
Shapechanging: Cat (3/day)

Priest Spells Memorized
1st: Bless, charm person or mammal, cure light wounds (4), curse, detect magic, detect snares & pits
-7+2
2nd: Aid, augury, find traps (3), hold person (2), silence (15' Radius), withdraw
-7+2
3rd: Bestow curse, blindness, dispel magic (3), glyph of warding, stone shape, remove curse
-7+1
4th: Cure serious wounds (2), divination, neutralize poison (2), protection from evil (10' Radius), tongues
-6+1
5th: Cure critical wounds (2), dispel evil, spike stones
6th: Conjure fire elemental, heal, stone tell
7th: Creeping doom

Non-Weapon Proficiencies
General: Cooking (16; 1); modern languages (+8)
Priest/Wizard: Ancient history (15; 1), healing (17; 1), reading/writing (4), religion (19; 1), spellcraft (15; 1)
Languages: Common, Elven, Goblin, Halfling. These are languages in which Nanes-Il is trained and literate, by means of her non-weapon proficiency slots.
Gnoll, Gnomish, Hobgoblin, Ogre Mage, Orcish, Cat, Owl, Snake. These are languages that Nanes-Il gained proficiency in due to her "Language/Communication" ability from the Priestess of Magic kit.

Weapon Proficiencies
Dagger, sling, knife, quarter staff; single weapon style (Specialized), two-handed style
Wrestling (Specialized)

Equipment
Holy symbol (Goddess of Magic)
Cloak of displacement
Ring of free action
Bracers of defense (AC 07)
Belt knife +1
Dagger +2, +3 versus Larger than Man-Sized Creatures
Sling of Seeking +2
-40 Sling Bullets

Belt of many pouches
-Chalk (5)
-Hempen rope (250 feet)
-Holy water (5)
-Iron rations (3 months)
-Piton (25)
-Unholy water (5)
-Waterskin (7)
-Winter blanket (5)
-Writing ink (10)
-Spell components

Total Weight Carried: To Be Determined...

Nanes-Il has been tasked by the gods of magic with observing its workings and protecting and punishing its practitioners throughout the Material Planes. Those people with magical potential, or who do well by it are protected and nurtured, while those who transgress are brought to justice. The golden-red theurgess will speak with pride of introducing magi to their familiars, of copying and sneaking maps to enchanted treasures into the hands of adventurers, and of the myriad curses she has purged from unfortunate folk. She speaks just as gladly of laying waste to a mind flayer gifted with sorcerous powers, and of orchestrating a mutually destructive duel between a Paramander and a Paremandyr. She is as endearing as she can be enigmatic, and as fair and mirthful as she can be cool and harsh. Complex, just like magic.
Last edited by SCARY WIZARD on Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
There be pheasants and penguins and booberry trees between the greenest of skies and the whitest of seas
SCARY WIZARD
Peasant
Peasant

Post by SCARY WIZARD »

Oh, hey, a triple-post, I ain't done that since I was thirteen.

I kinda played it by ear with the proficiency slots... I wasn't able to find weights for some of her magical items, which is why I left that vaguer than usual.

Since my kit gives me followers, and some of them are Priests, if you'd like to control a bunch of low-level Clerics so we have extra healing, I would not at all object! Is it irresponsible and dangerous? ...yes. Extremely. But, alas!

The scroll of raise dead assumes that I can cast it from a scroll, despite having only Minor Access to Necromancy spells.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Nice! It looks good at first glance, I'll go over it in more depth later.

As for the scroll thing. My take has been that if it's on a scroll you can cast it at the normal chances the same way a wiz can cast spells they don't know.
If it is forbidden by your diety, one of two things will happen:
-it won't work OR
-it will work, but there will be consequences to the priest afterwards

For this spell and Nanes-II it shouldn't be an issue
SCARY WIZARD
Peasant
Peasant

Post by SCARY WIZARD »

Marvellous! I kind of figured as much... I just wanted to ask you, since some Dungeon Masters go fast-and-loose on that topic. Well, in any case, we've got some staying power now! Thieves, though,, that can be someone else's pond and geese!

I'm considering trading a few of the weapons in to buy a staff-mace. While I am not so foolish as to engage in melee all the time, especially with a d4 for Hit Dice and being the party's sole healing barring Followers, sometimes a little bit of pell-mell is inevitable, and skeletons are a danger in labyrinths such as these...! It's the lack of ventilation, and those dad-blasted underground gases at fault for that, I say. >=U Would proficiency in quarter staves enable her to use the "mace" component without penalty?
I looked for that other book with the magic items you were talking about, but I didn't see it on Purple Wyrm. That is, unless you're talking about Encyclopedia Magica, which I do have all of the volumes of, but should not be allowed to look at because I have all of the impulse control of a toddler when it comes to books like that!

Oh! And, if you were wondering why she's listed as being Specialzied in Wrestling, it's something from, I believe the [I[Player's Handbook[/I] or Dungeon Master's Guide that says anyone can specialize in those without burning a Weapon Proficiency slot.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Well, if you converted her to a priest it would be d8 hit dice anyway right? Don't forfet to reroll those hps for the priest version! (8(1st lvl)+8d8(lvl2-9)+14(lvl 10-16)
=> 8d8+22

So you get the ability to use punching and wrestling without spending a slot, but you have to spend a wp slot to specialize in it, which gives bonuses to hit, dmg and 'chart bonus' for choosing manuevers.
[Complete Fighter, Ch 9 Combat Rules, section on Punching,Wrasslin and Martial Arts ]

For the staff-mace, i'll say since it's magical if you are proficient in one of the weapon types then you can use the other type without penalty for that magic item only
SCARY WIZARD
Peasant
Peasant

Post by SCARY WIZARD »

The kit gives us only d4s for our Hit Dice, per page 70 of The Complete Priest's Handbook, so she's not that lucky! I juggled Charisma and Constitution so that she's got some extra-magical influencing ability, and can also pull in hired hands if need be.

Got it!

Yanno, I'll juggle some coin for a quarter staff instead, since that's cheaper.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Ah, i didn't look at the kit yet. Oof, that's sharp!
SCARY WIZARD
Peasant
Peasant

Post by SCARY WIZARD »

TristenC wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:54 pm Ah, i didn't look at the kit yet. Oof, that's sharp!
Yearp, it's just a cleric/mage without the spell books and with a holy symbol! I was going to put together a cleric/fighter/mage in the game of versatility, but that's even funnier math!
SCARY WIZARD
Peasant
Peasant

Post by SCARY WIZARD »

Alright... Looks like things have started?
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Yep ^_^ dive on in :)
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Let me know if you have any issues or questions