Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Chapter 5 - New Adventures with new Friends

A 5e D&D campaign starting at 1st level in and around the city of Waterdeep in the Forgotten Realms.

Waterdeep: City of Splendours, seat of many thousand plots. Are they opportunities for success, or for an untimely demise?
Will the adventurers sit safely in their comfort zones? Or will they risk their all to carve out a slice of Realms history with their names on it? Puppet or puppeteer?

Moderator: Chris1234

Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Chapter 5 - New Adventures with new Friends

Post by Chris1234 »

One adventuring band rescued the stricken Nandar Keep (and its palisaded village) from goblins, orcs and half-ogres only to realise that its fututre was also threatened by sylvan elves who in turn perceived the town's woodcutters to threaten their home. The brave adventurers negotiated an agreement between the two parties that lumber would only he taken east of the Ardeep River. The Nandars can supply thier road and bridge construction business once more. The rumour that the Red Wizards of Thay were influential in unsettling the goblins, orcs and their larger kin remains inconclusive.The removal of a large black rock from the middle of the town square by giants that descended from 'a castle that floated on a cloud' after they'd pounded the town with rocks remains a weird mystery. WIth the village mostly repaired the triumphant adventurers are invited to Waterdeep, the City of Speldours, Jewel of the North for their recognition and reward.

Another group were investigating complaints of nighttime vandalism to farms vineyards outside Waterdeeps East's city wall. The group have failed to report in.

A further small company of adventurers were clandestinely recruited to investigate the death of a senior gang-lander just before he could turn Lord's Evidence in return for a pardon and new identity. After a confusing myriad of adventures both across the wdith of Waterdeep and beneth it, a picture began to emerge. Previously competing gangs were being coerced and cajoled into cooperatively smuggling product across and beneath the City of Splendours: pirated items through the docks, magic and coin northwards, freshly dead to Skullport, humanoid trafficking to the south and weapons to orckin in the east. The Black Network, Manshoon's unsavoury branch of the Zhemtarim, were the organising force behind the street gangs and were opposed by the Shadow Guild, run by the near-invisible Xanathar. Guided by Davil Starsong, a Zhent opposed to Manshoon, the adventurers, by dint of ambushes and hijackings, reignited deep inter-gang resentments, elevating to direct conflict between the Black Network and Shadow Guild. Bypassing contact with Asmodeus's worshippers and weird near-incomprehensible spectral predictors of doom, the brave band of adventurers have carved out a niche of recognition, reward by the City authorities and sentences of death from the Black Network and Shadow Guild's assassins. After a number of weeks in hiding while the SELUM guild frantically complete research on their behalf, the adventurers are advised of a security leak and that they should leave the City for their own well being.

======
OOC: To mark the 6th anniversary of this campaign all active members gain 600xp per character level
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Re: Chapter 5 - New Adventures with new Friends

Post by Chris1234 »

You can choose where you want to run to (and that defines the next campaign segment):
a) Into Undermountain, or
b) Leave Waterdeep's walls behind you under cover as part of a mounted patrol.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

I'm up for either, but the Undermountain is always crazy.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

OOC: I'm always happy for PCs to strike out in whatever direction they like, but i do have a great affection for Undermountain.
I'll work something up this evening.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

The pony-taled mage, Sygnas, meets with Sue. "You should go to the Yawning Portal Inn tomorrow arriving just before 6 bells*. You and your companions should drink these potions labelled 'Disguise', only one each or beware a mishap, and you each shall appear as another of similar build** but differing to your usual apperance. Other folk appearing as yourselves, cloaked, but perceivable for any specifically looking, shall leave by the North Gate as part of a routine City Guard patrol just after 6 bells. They will leave the patrol perhaps half a bell later and disappear as if into the mist.
"Thank you for your service. Good luck!"
He hands Sue a potion-carrying bag*** that contains ten potions and then snaps his fingers and disappears****.

When Sue examines the bag's contents he finds five potions, light blue with white swirling streaks, neatly labelled 'Disguise', two with a dull red appearance, labelled 'Superior Healing', one of yellow, viscous fluid streaked with black that swirls on its own, labelled 'Speed', a blue potion that bubbles and pops as if strongly heated, labelled 'Heroism', and a vial of crimson liquid that regularly pulses with dull light, akin to a heartbeat, labelled 'Vitality'.

What next?

======
OOC: *6am
**Disgusie Self potion
***5lb weight, can hold 10 potions, grrants advantage on saving throws agasint falling or crushing damage.
****Teleport
We will assume that Sue is staying in a hideout with whoever he deems appropriate, such as other PCs..
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Sue Nods"Sounds like that should make them lose our scent. Hopefully those pretending to be us, understand the danger they may be in."
He will get up, straighten, and head for the door.

On his way back to the safehouse he will do his usual routine of tipping the beggars that he passes, making sure they don't reveal him, and to warn him if anyone follows or is looking for him.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

The street urchins have nothing unusual to declare but accept the small denomination coins* gratefully. Sue returns to the house uneventfully and finds those he expects to be there.

======
OOC: *Not too worried about the housekeeping here so call it a flat 1gp and gain +1xp.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Sue will enter. Then put the potion holder down on a table.

"Looks like we have away out of shared predicament."

He will explain what he was told.

"I have a bag of holding, that may keep these things safer."
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Unless anyone wishes otherwise, Vic, Lucas and Unbar are in residence and able to hear Sue's retelling.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"Good thinkin' Boss. Playing dress is always fun too. I shouldn't need any of those other potions either, since I shouldn't be in range of any weapons."
Dargon Lonewolf
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Dargon Lonewolf »

Luka

I will take one of those but use my normal skills to remain unseen. This may come in handy later on. If I go shadow then our numbers will be different too. Better Disguise if the party is less than they expect.

He takes a potion and sticks it in his bag.
Dargon Lonewolf
Merchant
Merchant

Unbar

I will take a potion too. It will be hard to disguise myself in all this metal. i will take the potion as he said. Hopefully we can make it out of here without to much attention.

He stuffs the bottle in his pack
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

======
OOC: Is there anything anyone wants to do with the rest of the day?
Or shall we move forwards to the morning?
Dargon Lonewolf
Merchant
Merchant

Luka will find a trader and purchase a weeks worth of rations.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Luka has gained one week of rations of his choice*.

======
OOC: *at PHB price
All happy to move forwards to the morning?