Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Act 2, Scene 2: "To Crush the Wetrocks" (Main Game Thread)

The 2E AD&D Homebrew Sandbox world of Genwald is large, ancient, and magical. There are many undiscovered/untamed places. The Sun Kingdom (European style, Late Medieval Human NG Monarchy) is the basic Campaign area, but PCs can end up anywhere.

The scars of ancient battles of titanic proportions mark the land. Wild magic zones, fantastical terrain, grand adventure, political strife, and even artifacts of wonder await. Choose your part and come make your mark on the world. A wide array of unconventional races and classes are available.

Moderator: TristenC

TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Act 2, Scene 2: "To Crush the Wetrocks" (Main Game Thread)

Post by TristenC »

I'm sure they'll let both of you use the stables if that is what you prefer. Garroth, the previous Minotaur in our group, was able to find accomodations here.

Katten, did you say you knew where we must go next? I thought we were returning to the goblin caves. What have you learned?
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"I not discuss here." She answers in an abrupt way looking left and right as if the very walls would hurt her, rising herself up to look taller she gives the Bull Man a knowing smile, "It have place above, I stay there." She points to the stables, obviously she is aware of Hay lofts. "I go inside." She points to the Inn itself, "Not stay."
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Nocturno nods, understandingly and moves inside. He slides a coin to the inkeeper and points to a door in the corner. Walking with the rest he guides them into a private meeting room while motioning for a server as well.

A room some 12x20 feet is soon accessed with benches and stools furnished around a circular table. A waitress comes to take any orders for food or drink then leaves them with the key and exits to fulfill their orders. Bull finds the doorway manageable with a stoop and the ceiling height of 10 ft doesn't inhibit him in the least once inside (if he chooses to follow).

Jordek starts off the discussion once orders are placed, So... The journal we have describes several items, but the most confusing to me are the 'energy source' Reywalt describes, the 'sacrifice' and incantation, which I don't like at all, and the 'formless creature' that is required. The mechanical parts seem pretty well described and I guess we just have to go take them. I think the goblin Chief with the Worgs has one, and we already found the rod in the outpost...

Signa's face, typically present of an almost infinitesimal smile, shifts. That is... inescapably clear to me... Taking a slow breath he finally lets a small smile return. I have a... not quite unique knowledge of the surrounding area and its creatures, even rumors unto the southern edges of the Fetid Swamp, beyond Meadville to the North West... The 'formless creature' I suspect is what is known as a 'weirdling'... They are exceedingly rare and the Fetid swamp is a quite dangerous place... but they can take many shapes and absorb elemental energy the same way we all breathe air. If anything can handle the amount of power this device must require, this is it.

The Elven ranger's face adopts a more solemn visage. The 'sacrifice' and the incantation... There is a legend passed down among rangers, specifically Guardians.. he looks to Katten with a sad smile. The legend is that one day the call will come to lay one's very soul on the line to shield the world from the darkness. Only a Guardian can do it... and only the one whose Area of Protection includes the threat can be the 'offering'. He lays a hand on Katten's shoulder. My domain encompasses the land north and south of the Great Pit, surrounding and Westward of yours... I think perhaps the 'stag' from the prophecy you heard... is me. Again he allows the small smile to return. But the legend goes that if you are successful, 'the sacrificial stag' will be restored. So I am trusting you, my friend, and your allies to see this through.

Finding himself exhausted for words at the moment, Signa motions to Katten to relate the portion about the energy source, related to her earlier comment.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Katten listens, entering quietly her eyes darting around even more than normal, her ears were up, and she frowns sadly at the Elf's words, and yet something dawning on her too, she her area was covered.. The Stag could still be her..

"I went to see the Elves, I spoke with one called Galmionel Lienegrith, he.. I believe he has a sight." She explains, switching into Elven so she could understood better. "He told me that I need to go to Lesoger, and ask for an Artifact called The Amber Star, he said it was power for one. Lesoger use it to protect their people... They would have to be asked, he said I may have to steal, but I do not steal what is not my own." She states firmly, "He has given me a Token, one that I am to present them with. And ask them to listen and understand."
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Joredek whistles. The Amber Star!? That's the most well-protected artifact in the whole city! He blinks and when the shock wears off the Forest Gnome chuckles and rubs the side of his nose. Well... I never mentioned this really but once-upon-a-time when I was but a foolish young gnome I fell in with a bad crowd.... They had designs to steal the Amber star, though just as a prank. he adds quickly. Anyway.. well it didn't work out for them, and rather than take the fall for something I had no plans to ever go through with I decided to go on an extended camping trip... some 50 years extended. A rustling in the fabric of his tunic resolves into the peeking face of the flying squirrel Chitt. Nuzzling the little creature with his finger, Jordek goes on. At least it afforded me the chance to get to know this area better, heh.

Signa muses over the information. Yes, the Amber Star would certainly have the power. I have been thinking on this since you mentioned it to me earlier, Nesserr... If we are to persuade them, it may be that the more pieces of the device we have the more convincing our discourse will be. How many are left?

Well, Nocturno says, The journal really only mentions 3 pieces aside from the 'formless one' and the 'power source'. We already have the rod, and rumor has it that the goblin cheif has a second piece. That would leave only 1 more if we can take "Mixeg"s part... but whether it is the egg-shaped pommel or the Curled Figurehead, we can't be sure... and there seem to be no clues as to the location of the last.

Signa nods. Then it seems we must assemble it before we are able to use the Amber Star. and the Star itself will be the bait to capture the Weirdling... the elf adds.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Then we fight chief." Katten answers slipping back into her form of Common. "Chief has it, he may know of other piece..?"

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Dargon Lonewolf
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Dargon Lonewolf »

Bull

Let's go back to Goblin Cave. I have a score to settle with those little Green Rats. After Scrolls are ready. Need to be ready fro Greenies this time.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Well, if we wait until the scrolls are ready that will be a couple of days at least. What shall we do in the mean-time? Nocturno muses.

Well, we have that identify scroll. We need to see what these discoveries of ours do; but that we can finish tonight probably... He pauses in thought. There were a few errands Calan Martins from the magic shop in the keep said could earn us some coin... There is a gargoyle about, apparently, though that may be beyond our depth... And the Shrieker he chuckles

Ugh, don't remind me. The Elven fighter-cleric grunts. That damn beetle... I'm sure there are other things to do in town as well, if we care to look for them.

Signa considers the discussion. It may not be the worst thing to wait a few days. If you go back tomorrow, the goblins will surely be expecting it after the recent attack. After a couple of days, they may let their guard down... I have also heard that there has been increased Orc and Bugbear activity near Bordertown, which is disturbing.

Oh yeah, we dealt with a handful of orcs maybe a week gone. Are you saying there are more? I hadn't heard anything about Bugbear.

Signa nods. Yes, I only heard about the Bugbear yesterday. Actually it was shortly before meeting Nesserr on the road... Rumor has it they were moving quietly down from the North, near the pit... I wonder if they were in the same area as the Wetrock tribe recently... he muses
Styrius
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Styrius »

Findalsip finds some time to scribe down snippets of things from the conversation. Amber star, gargoyles, other observations. He partakes of the food and drink content to observe and pretty much go with the flow of things. "If we are to face the thrice damned goblins, for the love of all that is right in this world, stick together. Giant fire beetles aren't the worst thing in the world but if you split up they will take you down."
You are talkin' to the holy symbol wearing,
Ruby ring wearing, kiss stealing; Woo!
Praying/healing, beholder riding, griffin flying
Son of a blowgun, and I'm having a hard time holding these Aboleth shoes down! WOO!
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Fin scribbles a furious array of notes as the others converse before interjecting with his advice about standing together.

Signa nods, Splitting up the Party's resources can be fatal, in some respects. The elf turns to the others.

What will you do next?
-Wait a few days, and work some of the smaller tasks here in order to lull the goblins into some semblance of complacency?
-Strike back at the goblins immediately to crush them
-Take some time to shore up your own abilities and reservations before plunging back into the struggle
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"We wait, but I not stay here. Walls and stones not natural. Nesserrr in a box, she not like being in box. You do magic thingy with words and things." She does ponder a new question, "Quiver holds many arrows, you know of place I might use shiny metal to get more?" She asks that of the group, her inexperience in the City is Obvious, as is her nerves.

"I not hunt things in town. Forest need Protecting, City has its protectors."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Signa nods and lays a comforting hand on the Ranger's shoulders. Yes, we can resupply and spend our waking hours outside of the walls to prevent any sense of... confinement. Think of it as sheltering in a cave at night, but the wide world beyond is still open during the day. he offers in comfort. Perhaps even some of these tasks of the locals who are less skilled in the nearby wood may serve both they and us by building good will and earning some trade-value. Signa suggests

[once the day ends here i will roll for the Identify scroll results w/respect to those who chipped in for it]
===
Tasks the town may need:
-Hunting
-Foraging
-Guarding shepherds/farmers
-Other (think about NWP skills or other things your pc might be willing and skilled in)

*(party tasks) Dealing with nearby dangers:
-Shrieker mushroom and Bombadier Beetle
-Gargoyle at an old cemetery to the West
-Finding the Band of Orcs nearby (north-west of town))
-Learning more about the Bugbear Rumors (northwest of town)
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Hmmm, I go seek Gronneskins and feils..they near the pit, affect Forest. I had enough of Stone creatures, not lose another friend." She decides folding her arms across her small chest. "This strange cave, very strange Cave."

(Signa would know that Gronneskins are her peoples word for orcs and Feils is Bugbear)

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Dargon Lonewolf
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Dargon Lonewolf »

Bull

I agree with Katten. We should find and deal with the Orc band. We would need more magic to fight a Gargoyle and I don't mess with Mushrooms anymore. They make for a bad headache.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Signa nods and with no other objections speaks. That sounds like a good plan. I have some other things to attend to as well. I presume you plan to set out in the morning. If you find them quickly then the scroll you mentioned, Bullock, should be complete by the time all of you return.

[Anyghing else the group wants to discuss for tonight?]
===
I'll go ahead and do the results of the identify scroll for Jordek, Fin and Linar in their private threads