Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Chapter 3 - Fresh Air

A 5e D&D campaign starting at 1st level in and around the city of Waterdeep in the Forgotten Realms.

Waterdeep: City of Splendours, seat of many thousand plots. Are they opportunities for success, or for an untimely demise?
Will the adventurers sit safely in their comfort zones? Or will they risk their all to carve out a slice of Realms history with their names on it? Puppet or puppeteer?

Moderator: Chris1234

Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Chapter 3 - Fresh Air

Post by Chris1234 »

The next sewer rendezvous is eights days away so there’s ample opportunity for Woody, Jim & Sue to indulge themselves in more or less whatever way they choose*.

Over this time selling the mundane items (two longswords, five handaxes, two shields, pair of diamond ear-rings & a stone icon representing Moradin) raises† 16 suns, 3 dragons and 6 sambats. Added to the coinage found totals:
18 suns, 36 dragons and 36 sambats.

Woody is able to identify:
  • Chainmail [+1 mithril chainmail]
    Chain shirt [Elven chain with adamantite reinforcement]
    Greataxe [Flame Tongue]
    Hand axe [+2d6 slash damage on crit]
    Leather bag [Bag of Holding]
    Longsword [Giant Slayer]
    Scimitar [of Speed]
    Scroll tube [spell scoll of Greater Restoration]
    Shield [Sentinel]
    Small brown stone [Orb of time]
When Woody, Jim and Sue have selected something then Darren will swing by and select his 'donation'.

Does anyone go to the Spires of the Morning at sunrise to request help (Field Healer)?

======
*These Downtime activities include, but are not limited to, seeking to buy a magical item, partying, crafting, crime, gambling, organised fighting, chilling out, religious service, research, scribing spell scrolls, training or getting a real job. [Please select one downtime activity for your character]

†sun = pp, dragon = gp, sambat = ep.
Nocturno
King
King

Re: Chapter 3 - Fresh Air

Post by Nocturno »

Sue will insist upon a feast with the boys on at least two occasions. Aside from the feasting with his cronies, Sue will find a place to train.(likely the hideout). He will also see if he can get more of the homeless on his side to try and get wind of rumours of the switched meeting place and time.

He will also use his possible new found army of the downtrodden to start rumours to counteract any rumours that may hurt his investigation.

Sue will want to get some research done to piece it all together but will likely work with Jim and Woody, rather than do it alone, since his head is not as strong as his sword arm.

He will also keep his ears and eyes open for potions of Heroism.
counterkid
Knight
Knight

Post by counterkid »

That night. The party will divide the treasure:
8 suns each
13 Dragons each
14 Sambats each

Woody will take the bag of holding and the Orb of Time.

That night while dividing the treasure Evenwood will ask Sue the following question:
"I've heard great things about that mysterious group, the Harpers. Seems they push evil and nasty stuff back into its hole! I wish I could join.."
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Sue will brush off the comment the first night. Thinking maybe it was the excitement. On the second feast night Sue will bring up the Harpers.

"Did you hit your head down there? Maybe too much sewer gas?" Sue will flip over Woody's lapel to reveal the pin Sue gave him only a couple days ago.

"Just upgraded my own. With the two of you helping... I might be running the show soon." He pulls out another, and turns around to Jim.

"If I didn't have this for you, I'd have to kill you now!" Sue attempts a joke.

"Woody is the perfect Agent. You can't make someone spill something they don't remember."
counterkid
Knight
Knight

Post by counterkid »

Woody will take the Elvin Chain +1 and hand over the bracers of defense to Jim. He will also give Jim and Sue the opportunity to take the bag of holding as they probably need it.
Squirrellord
Lord
Lord

Post by Squirrellord »

At sunrise Jim heads out to the Spires of the Morning to request the aid of a field healer. While out and about, he will seek out a blacksmith or weapons shop and attempt to purchase a good dozen daggers testing each one for balance until he is satisfied. He then seeks out a leatherworker and purchases or commissions a harness to cross his chest where he can house the aforementioned daggers.

He will spar with Sue when Sue trains.
When Woody finishes examining the magical items and discloses their abilities, Jim passes on the haul but when Woody presses the bracers upon him and explains their benefit Jim gracefully accepts the offering.

Jim is happy to help as a sounding board when Sue discusses his investigation.

At Sue's offer of the pin, Jim is dumbfounded and clumsily accepts the offer.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

After the magical items are identified Sue chooses the sentinel shield (tbc), Woody the elven chain shirt (+1) and Jim accepts the bracers of defence. As promised Darren drops in and indicates that he'd be willing to accept the mithril chainmail with profuse thanks.

What would everyone like as their second item?

======
Remaining items:
Greataxe, handaxe, longsword, bag, scimitar, orb and scroll.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Sue will swap out his shield for the new one. He will pick up and flip the axe. "This seems alright. If Darren doesn't take the other weapons, I will just swap out my others."
counterkid
Knight
Knight

Post by counterkid »

Woody will take the Orb.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"Woody, you should take the bag. I don't need it. And Jim here seems to take every step to be devoured or destroyed. Probably not the best to hold onto anything interesting we find."

After giving Jim the pin.
"We should probably get you some new clothing Jimbo. Your new bracers don't exactly match the gutter body look you have going on. Also you need something with a firm collar to hide your pin."
counterkid
Knight
Knight

Post by counterkid »

"I found the following items in the bag."
A potion of heroism and the scroll healing 3d8+5 for you Sue. The potion of better healing 6d4+6 for you Jim and the wand of secrets if you want it Jim. I will keep a 1 potion of healing 2d4+2.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

======
The same has 17 charges after which is becomes non-magical. It cannot be recharged.
If folks are happy with Woody's proposal to distribute stuff then if Woody has the orb (as he previously requested) then things are pretty evenly shared out but with Jim still having a pick if he wants one.

Are wizards or monks proficient with any of the weapons?
(Longsword, handaxe, greataxe or scimitar?)
Squirrellord
Lord
Lord

Post by Squirrellord »

Monks can use handaxes and still benefit from martial arts. Interestingly, if the monk character is proficient with scimitars, the scimitar of speed would allow the monk to still get a bonus action attack, only it would be with the scimitar and the monk would not be able to use the bonus action to attack unarmed. Martial Arts would no longer be in use due to using a weapon outside of the monk weapon stipulation of the Martial Arts ability.
counterkid
Knight
Knight

Post by counterkid »

Wizards are not proficient with any of those weapons.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

If Jim shows interest in any of the weapons Sue will let him have his pick.

"If you are interested Jim speak up. The Axe I would only hold onto for throwing, most likely. The Longsword however would be my second choice before Darren shows up. The other weapons would just replace their mundane counterparts in my arsenal."