Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Chapter 3 - Fresh Air

A 5e D&D campaign starting at 1st level in and around the city of Waterdeep in the Forgotten Realms.

Waterdeep: City of Splendours, seat of many thousand plots. Are they opportunities for success, or for an untimely demise?
Will the adventurers sit safely in their comfort zones? Or will they risk their all to carve out a slice of Realms history with their names on it? Puppet or puppeteer?

Moderator: Chris1234

Squirrellord
Lord
Lord
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Chapter 3 - Fresh Air

Post by Squirrellord »

Thank you Sue but no. I'll stick with the head knocker I have. Jim will give the dark mace at his belt a pat. As for ranged, I have a plan. I'm trying to find a place that can make me a harness for daggers. They have a bit more heft than darts and frankly I've always preferred them.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Sue will swap the Longsword of Giant Slaying with his +1 and Grab the HandAxe. Whatever Darren doesn't take Sue will add to his walking weapon rack.
(Ill update that in my character sheet later)
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Darren says, "Thank you kindly, all, for the offer of more things magical but this chainmail will be ample, thank you. A donation, you understand, most gratefully received." He pauses, "Of course, I'd be more than happy to hold on to the Raise Dead scroll for you. I think it's not possible, certainly not easy, for any of you to use it yourselves. Good luck to you all. May our paths cross again."

After the eccentric aasimar leaves Sue equips himself with the longsword 'Giantsmiter', a sentinal shield, flaming greataxe, speedy scimitar and vicious handaxe, but seems unsure what do do with his old longsword. As Woody tries on his new chain shirt he reminds Sue to also take the scroll of Cure Wounds [3d8+7] and the potion of heroism. The wizard also acquired the bag of holding, an orb of time and the common healing potion [2d4+2].
Across the room Jim tries on his new leather bracers of defence [+2AC]. The fit as if they's been made for him but they do rather put the rest of his clothes to shame. He has also acquired a rarer, more powerful healing potion [6d4+6] and a wand of secrets [17 charges, can't be re-charged].

Early next morning Jim heads out for the Spires of the Morning [major temple to Lathander] to request the support of a field healer. After a short wait Darren appears. He is dressed in simple robes of russet and crimson. He explains that he should be addressed, whilst in the Spires, simply as "Dawnbinger". The temple's standard fee is one sun per day for the services of a 'field cleric', double that for exceptionally dangerous duties. "What constitutes 'exceptionally' is generally down to my assessment," he expands with the briefest of smiles. "The fees go to the temple. The field healer, such as myself, would grow and learn from his (or her) experiences. Of course, any proportionate gifts would be transparent to Lathander, may His Name Be Venerated Forever. A one hundred sun depost is required, forfeited in the event of the death and unrecovered body of the field healer. It is remarkably common for adventuring companies to have cashflow issues and often place a valuabe but nonessential magical item with the Spires in lieu of the deposit." If asked, he confirms that a magical weapon [+1] would be acceptable.

While Jim is visiting the Lathandrian temple, Sue heads out and buys food and drink sufficient for a feast for the trio. [Sue: Minimum of 15eps would do it. More than three times that could be considered excessive.]

During the feast a bit of bonding goes on and each discusses things of the moment, such as the how things work with 'Those Who Harp', what happened at the Spires of the Morning, Sue thinking that some Reseach is needed (but should be done by Woody or Jim), and so on.

Over the next week the brave adventurers can automatically buy [PHB prices] or sell [half PHB prices] items listed in the PHB. An example would be Jim buying daggers [PHB price] and would be immediatly available. A harness for the dozen daggers would take maybe a day's labour and cost 15sps if Jim's happy to wait a few days for it.

======
1) Please update your character sheets with newly acquired items and adjust affected values (such as AC) accordingly. Include the money (8pps, 13gps, 14eps each) but deduct one week's cost of living.

2) For now at least Sue is the formal Harper contact for Woody and Jim.

3) A Downtime Activity is a one week duration activity that happens "off stage". [It's based on Xanathar's Guide to Everything, p123 onwards, but can be flexible. For example, I've run organised "Wizard of the Year" spell competition based on RAW Pit Fighting.] Common downtime activities to buy a magical item, partying, crafting, crime, gambling, organised fighting, chilling out, religious service, research*, sell a magical item, scribing spell scrolls, training** or getting a real job.

• 3.1) Sue thinks some *Research should be done. Fine. Research This "...allows a character to delve into lore concerning a monster, a location, a magic item or another particular topic...", "...costs at least 50gps...", and is resolved with a single Intelligence check spent on materials, bribes, gifts and other expenses."
    What focus will the group research? - a specific person, place or thing.
    Who, if anyone, will do the research?

3.2)** Training is a low risk, low cost way to "...learn a language or pick up proficiency with a tool..."
    In passing, I treat proficiency with a single weapon, e.g. longsword, similar to a tool proficiency, so if you can find a (qualified, NPC) teacher then you can train in that single weapon type during downtime but that wouldn't cut across other class features or restrictions. e.g. either Woody or Jim could with time, effort & expenditure gain proficiency with longwords, but that would not allow it to be used as a monkish martial arts weapon.
    Apart from anyone doing research, please select a Downtime Activity (from the list in paragraph #3 above).
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Sue will suggest they research what the gangs would have in common, or what they would move to make the best profit. He can help with his street knowledge, but will leave the real research to Woody.

He will dedicate himself to the research, and furthering it. By using my idea of the homeless/street people. He will try to get info if there are any new substances or items being hawked in the streets. Or try to spend enough time with them to find out what is the rumour. He will always carefully get back to his Safe House, making sure to not be followed. Doubling and tripling back when necessary.

He will make sure to be dressed in clothing that would fit the street not his armour and walking armoury.
Squirrellord
Lord
Lord

Post by Squirrellord »

Jim lets his companions know the conditions for the hiring of Darren and asks Sue to accompany him to purchase some "appropriate" clothing. He will also use some money to buy some bags of food which he then hands out to the children that live on the street that he knows from his time at the temple. As he does so he gently probes for information following the line of questioning Sue had suggested.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Sue will accompany Jim, getting him some clothing for the city, and a set of adventuring clothes. Maybe something a bit more durable that won't be shredded every time he gets stabbed.(Which he does a lot.) He will also add his money into the pot for the food, as he is also going around to speak with the down trodden.(Money spent in private thread)

He will then make his way to the temple to see if the Longsword +1 he has is an acceptable deposit.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

The day after the celebratory feast Sue takes Jim shopping and returns to the safe house. Emerging virtually unarmed and dressed in street clothing Sue reaches out to many of the city's urchins.

Woody visits the libraries of Spires Of The Morning and SELUM (Society for the Elimination of Lycanthropes and Undead Monstrosities). He starts digging.

With the help of bags of the cheapest of foodstuffs Jim starts getting in touch with the youngsters that hang around the area outside Spires Of The Morning temple.

The party in the 'Bird Sanctuary' party at The Purple Palace Palace is today. The numbered, but unsigned, invitation from the "Yellow Canary" welcomes the "Red parrot" to attend at nine bells. After the brave adventuers' individual exertions for the day are done, there will still be a handful of hours before the party. Time enough to decide who, if anyone, will attend the party dressed in Taffis's red silk outfit, (troos, shirt, cloak & mask).

What next?
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"Well, looks like we are getting you ready for a party Woody. Jim and I should probably be near by, and we should work out a sign to signal us if you need help."
counterkid
Knight
Knight

Post by counterkid »

"I guess I will attend, but I should try out the costume first to make sure everything is in order."
Squirrellord
Lord
Lord

Post by Squirrellord »

Jim watches patiently as Sue readies Woody
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

The outfit is a a big baggy width-wise but cuts in something wicked at the armpits and groin. Woody looks like a very oversize version of a rich child's candy bar.

======
Anything else relevant to the meeting that folks want to do before we hop to the meeting?
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"Maybe use that spell so you sound different again."

Sue will come up with any details.he can think of to help Woody pull off the charade.
counterkid
Knight
Knight

Post by counterkid »

I think that was a potion Woody drank. Pretty sure Jim gave it to him. I don't think we have that option this time. Maybe we should find a potion maker.

I think Woody has some contact. Chris, can Woody go see if he can buy a potion that disguises his voice?
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Woody knows somebody that 'knows everybody'. He's a sun elf, Davil Starsong, sat over by the wall in the Yawning Portal just as Woody's thinking about finding a potion maker. As Woody approaches Davil, a quietly formidable female half-orc stands, hand raised to intercept. The sturdy woman, fully Sue's size, eclipses the sun elf. A melodious voice, Davil's, says, "It's fine, Yagra." She gives Woody a hard look, much as to say, 'Mess with him and I'll pull your legs off as if you're a spider.' Then sits down at the table neighbouring Davil's.

The unpretentious sun elf invites Woody to sit at his table. If both talk quietly it's unlikely that anyone, even the half-orc, can hear them. He welcomes Woody by pouring a glass of herb-infused wine. It smells pleasant. And expensive. After listening to Woody's needs, the businesslike elf says, "Normally it might take some number of days, but yes, I know someone that can help. As a favour, I can tell you where to go and what to say and it will be fine. But I will require a favour in return. Harko Swornhold has illegally returned to Waterdeep. He's a mercenary with a lot of bad history in this town, and was last seen recruiting kenku in the Dock Ward. Find him and turn him, in whatever condition, over to the authorities. You keep the bounty. He's got a scar shaped like a wishbone on the back of his left hand, keep an eye out."

If Woody agrees to look for Harko, Davil adds, "Good, good. You should search for Harko along the dockfront warehouses after sundown. That's where the kenku hang out. If you trace him back to a warehouse, it might contain things of interest to the Watch.
"For your needs, go to Weirdbottle's Concoctions in Dock Ward. Say that your 'business needs special service'."

Davil Starsong
Yagra Stonefist.png
Yagra Stonefist.png (130.52 KiB) Viewed 6560 times
Davil Starsong.png
Davil Starsong.png (56.85 KiB) Viewed 6560 times
counterkid
Knight
Knight

Post by counterkid »

"When you say return him in any condition, is dead an option? I agree with your terms."