Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Act 2 Scene 5: "Cavern of the Crown of Souls" (Game Thread)

A 2E game set in the mysterious realm of Ravenloft.

Moderator: TristenC

Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Act 2 Scene 5: "Cavern of the Crown of Souls" (Game Thread)

Post by Chris1234 »

"Anybody need healing," asks Jerry.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"I am somewhat hurt, although I could continue if others require aid." Karl answers the half elf even though it's quite obvious he is badly.hurt himself. (About 2/3rds of his HP)
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Jerry casts CLW on Karl. "There. That should feel a bit better. But that's me done for the day."

======
OOC:
CLW [1d8]=3
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"I thank you." The Knight bows and helps set up camp.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

As they rest Pyros fiddles with his leg.

"I wonder if something as simple as doing a bit of rat hunting would cure this bum limb?"
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Rat hunting? So... you think that odd bracelet is actually... healing your leg? Merrick replies, surprised.

[What shifts/ watch does the group want to set?]
===
Jerry casts CLW on Sir Karl
Sir Karl is healed for [1d8] = 3 hps [31/44]
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Jerry would like to get to sleep as soon as she's had some food and so forth.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"I shall take First watch, anyone is welcome to join me. I suggest our valuable Healers get as much rest as possible." Karl suggests as they set up camp, he secures Bayard and ensures Tarlyn is settleed. "We can share what rations we have, I doubt there is much to catch out there." He turns his head to Artanis. "Forgive me my experience with spellcasters is quite limited, my.. My people view them with suspicion so I have little to go by, can I assume that you also require rest?"

"A little, I'll take second watch. Karl's right, healers should sleep, Pyros, you should take a watch. Adrastia watch with me? And you." She points to Elsa. "You are getting some rest."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

The party picks their watches and settles in for sleep. Throughout the night, the sounds

Fitful dreams fill their sleep, but slip away from memory like evaporating mist save for one. In the morning, each hazily recalls sitting in a circle with the others around the fire, the Crown sitting atop one head or another as the darkness closes in slowly...

Morning breaks, unseasonably cold, but the surroundings seem no more menacing than usual.

[I'll try to make some time to do xp soon, the holidays have been a little hectic]
====
It is now Sunday March 9th
Casters pick your spells
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Mira rises with blearly eyes, rubbing the sleep from them her gaze falls to the bag where the crown lay, she for one would not be wearing that thing, whatever the creepy dream may say. Checking on Tarlyn she sits crosslegged, refreshing her spells (she will take the same ones).

Karl awkens with his usual precsison, checking on Bayard and ensuring the horse was well before arranging whatever rations they had remaining.

"We should make our way back with as much haste as we can manage, Tarlyn, would you allow Lady Elsa and Master Pyros to ride Bayard so we can move more rapidly?"

Borderlands 3 - Navi
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

[XP Time]
The party hit a Major story milestone by acquiring the Crown of Souls! and making their way through the Cavern of the Crown. There were several other areas to the Cavern, some of which had some particularly deadly encounters. The chamber of the crown itself was also fraught with significant danger, the bulk of which the party managed to avoid by discussing things amongst themselves and identifying and avoiding suspected hazards. Now that they have the crown, the next step is to meet back up with Akriel in Skald. TBH I'm tempted to short-cut the journey back to town and just start Act 3 Scene 1 as they make their return.

Group XP:
Story XP:
Finding and Freeing Tarlyn (200) ea
Finding the Skeleton Key (50) ea
Retrieving the Crown!!! (1,000) ea
=> 1250 each!

Combat XP:
Skeletons& Zombies )(4+24+8+4)+(4)) => 44*65 => 2860
Juju zombies (4)*975=> 3900
Swordwraith 650
Skeletal Warrior (half xp, fended off and survived but not destroyed) 2,000
(2860+3900+650+2000)=> 9,410/11 chars
(Adran, Adrastia, Artanis, Cross, Elsa, Jerry, Merrick, Mira, Pyros, Pytor, Sir Karl)
Total: 856 xp each

44+2*4+4*4+7+10/2= 80 HD of creatures

Total group xp:
Story: 1250 + Combat: 856 => 2,106 xp

Loot:
The Crown of Souls!!!

++++++++++++++++

Individual XP:
Adran [ThaWizKid] Male Elven Mage (4) Militant Wizard Kit
[Current 10,724 xp]
Group Reward: 2,106 xp
Magic Missile: 150 xp (At Juju zom, 2x at Powerful skel2
Web: 100 xp (on shackle undead )
Discussions: 75 (dreams, tracks, freeing Karl's sword, about freeing Tarlyn, Pyros' bracelet
Misc Rp: 30 xp (offering rope to free sword, offering to cut pyros' spiked bracelet free
Watchful and wary: 60 xp (standing watch, checking hall while others occupied, notice of disturbing runes, listening carefully, checking ceiling, suspicion of Tarlyn )
Subtotal: 2,521 (+10% for high Int) = 2,773
Total: 13,497 xp (20,000 TNL)

Artanis [NPC] Male Half-Elven Ranger/Druid (4/4)
[Current 11,789/7,669 xp]
“Skilled Hunter”: 3,200 xp (Ranger Only)(10 xp per lvl per HD creatures defeated [10*Ftr lvl 4*80 hd])
CLW: 300 xp (Druid Only)(on Elsa, Jerry, Karl)
CMW: 200 xp (Druid Only)(on Elsa)
Breakdown: General 2,106= (1053/1053) + (3200/500) => 4,253/1553
Total: 16,042/9,222 xp (18,000/12,500 TNL)

Cross [NPC/Nocturno?] Male Elf Mage (4)
[Current 13,145 xp]
Magic Missile: 150 xp (at Juju zom, at ledge skels, at Powerful Skel1)
Summon Swarm: 100 xp (at Juju zom)
“Fine Feathered Friend” 40 xp (checking with/scouting/reassuring Fenrir, snack, keep watch)
Misc RP: 40 xp (considering the stone slab, staked out skel, keeping swarm on defeated zom to break them down, w/gar) Subtotal: 2436 xp (+10% for high Int) = 2,680
Total: 15,825 (20,000 TNL)

Jerry [Chris1234] Female Half-Elf Cleric/Mage(Dweomerkeeper) (4/3) Undead Slayer kit
[Current 10,027/7,866 xp]
CLW: 500 xp (Cleric Only)(on Self, Tarlyn, Pyros, Adrastia, Karl)
CMW: 200 xp (Cleric Only)(on Karl)
Idea spell: 200 xp (Cleric Only)(for freeing Tarlyn )
Protection from Evil: 100 xp (Cleric only)(during juju fight)
Turn Undead: 300 xp (Cleric Only) (on shackle undead, on ledge skels, armor skels)
Regenerate Light Wounds: 100 xp (Cleric only)(on self)
Detect Magic: 100 xp (kit related)(in hall of the False Crown, tunnel down to gateway, on the True Crown, on Pyros' pouches)
Magic Missile: 50 xp (Mage only)(At Juju zom )
Nap Spell: 100 xp (Mage only)
Web: 100 xp (Mage only) (on the True Crown)
Cantrips: 35 xp (Mage only)(5/ea; 3x on pins holding Tarlyn, on mortar, ball of light, secret door searches 2x)
Cantrip Chantry: 35 xp (little flavor)
Ideas: 250 xp (Detect magic reveals nature of the False Crown, rope to control descent under false crown, webbing up the pit under the crown and catching it!!!)
Discussions: 150 xp (dreams, tracks, freeing Karl's sword, about freeing Tarlyn, destroying the stone, Pyros' bracelet, bone pit, false crown, ledge skels, archway exits)
“It's what I do.”: 60 xp (Focus on undead, warning of shackled undead, checking Tarlyn for Vampire bites, cataloguing info from rare undead, phantoms, excitement at their destruction )
Misc Rp: 50 xp (covering the others, helping pyros, discovering Tarlyn is Alive!!, w/Karl , prayer for the dead) v
Banter: 50 xp (pyros loot, w/ Mira, W/ Pyros, w/ Tarlyn others)
“The other half (elf)”: 40 xp (various check ins, slab, spell discussion, etc)
Breakdown: General 2841 = (1420/1421) + (1400/235) => (2,820/1,656)
Subtotal: 2,820/1,656 (+10% for high Int ) = 3,125/1,822
Total: 13,152/9,688 xp (12,500/10,000 TNL)

Cleric LVL 5!!!
Hps +(1d8)/2
Dispel Magic 1/day (kit)
+1 second level Priest spell slot!
+1 third level Priest spell slot!
Ability to Turn Undead improves!!!

Sir Karl Mordrane Sularia Male Human Fighter (5) Cavalier Kit
[Current 17,059 xp]
Combat xp: 4,000 xp (10 xp per lvl per HD creatures defeated [10*Ftr lvl 5*80 hd])
“A Knight's Best Friend”: 50 xp (attending Bayard, wondering if he is ok, calling him, using him to help Tarlyn)
Discussions: 135 (dreams, tracks, freeing his sword, about freeing Tarlyn, destroying the stone, Pyros' bracelet, false crown, ledge skels, archway exits)
Misc RP: 50 xp (surprise and gladness at freed sword, Form Up!, w/ Mira, w/Tarlyn, distaste at removing armor and crawling )
Idea: 50 xp (Solving the “Life in my hands” puzzle)
Banter: 40 xp (Reaction to Pyros, brave effort, comments about magic)
It is not dead...”: 50 xp (Chivalry: apologizing to Elsa, Humbling self to approach Pytor for aid, search for other victims, insisting on going first into danger )
“..but sleepeth.”: 30 xp (Frustrated attempts at Chivalry/w the women, concern with women going first into danger )
“...When Duty Calls”: 60 xp (handing over spare potions to Clerics, persistance retrieving his father's blade, helping free Tarlyn, trying to destroy the stone, putting Tarlyn on his horse to escape enemies, pulling pyros away from skels
Steadfast: 40 xp (oath to protect Tarlyn, honor demanded protection, guarding others, enduring to aid others )
Subtotal: 6,611 (+10% high str) = 7,272 xp
Total: 24,331 xp (32,000 TNL)

Mira [Jenara] Female Human Bard (5)
[Current 20,748 xp]
“Lover And a Fighter”: 2,000 xp (5 xp per lvl per HD creatures defeated [5*Bard lvl 5*80 hd]
Magic Missile: 100 xp (at Juju zom, at Powerful Skel2)
Invisibility: 100 xp (to avoid ledge skels)
Cantrips: 10 xp (5/ea; weakening stone, ball of light )
Cantrip Chantry: 10 xp (little flavor)
Discussions: 150 xp (dreams, tracks, freeing Karl's sword, about freeing Tarlyn, Pyros' bracelet, destroying the stone, bone pit, false crown, ledge skels, archway exits
Misc Rp: 100 xp (Oh Pyros 'found' my map!, gambling w Pyros, Suggesting Pyros hang back, warning about the bracelet, W/ Karl, bath and a nap, w/pyros about Crown, w/Jerry, w/Elsa, w/Tarlyn, keeping Tarlyn calm while others free her)
Storyteller: 25 (Story of the Knight and Dragon)
Subtotal: 4,601 xp
Total: 25,349 xp (40,000 TNL)

Pyros [Nocturno] Male Kender “Handler”[Theif] (5)
[Current 18,666 xp ]
Nimble eyes and fingers: 400 xp (Spotting trap trigger on the False Crown, deactivating the trap)
Discussions: 120 xp (dreams, tracks, freeing Karl's sword, Pyros' bracelet, bone pit, false crown, ledge skels, archway exits)
“...the mouth on that kid”: 10 xp("Bodies of the damned, be damned!")
Kender-boy, awaaaaay!: 60 xp (smacking shackled skeletons before they move, trying to lift the stone slab alone, no punctuation, bone pit, wearing false crown, wearing real crown)
Misc Rp: 40 xp (gambling w Mira, reaction to bracelet, poke bodies with a stick, taunting ledge skels )
“Helping Hands”: 30 xp ('checking', helping Sir Karl retrieve his sword, helping free Tarlyn)
Banter: 50 xp (many remarks/thoughts about withered limb, many things better than starving to death, bones of Takhisis!,)
Subtotal: 2,816 (+10% for Dex) = 3,087 xp
Total: 21,753 (20,000 TNL)

”Handler” lvl 6!
Hps: [1d6]
+30 rogue skill points

Pytor Fulchur [Mltillis] Male Half-Vistani Fighter (Equaar) (5)
[Current 17,559 xp]
Combat xp: 4,000 xp (10 xp per lvl per HD creatures defeated [10*Ftr lvl 5*80 hd])
Subtotal: 6,106 (+10% for high Str) = 6,717
Total: 24,276 xp (32,000 TNL)