Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

The Heart of Darkness... [Main Game Thread]

The (Original!) Tomb of Horrors!!!
S1 by the great Gygax 1978. Everything adapted to 2e. This is NOT the Return to ToH written for 2e

Labyrinth of Madness!!! Previously Concluded (by TPK)
S6 by Monte Cook from 1995. Designed for 2e. IMHO this one is the tougher of the two, but not by much.

Moderator: TristenC

BishGada
Viscount
Viscount
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: The Heart of Darkness... [Main Game Thread]

Post by BishGada »

===============================================
(OOC: Ok. Currently Galan will circle about 20' above ground. He can still be heard right? Once we find the entrance he will dismiss the Griffon.)
counterkid
Knight
Knight

Post by counterkid »

As the brothers descent can they see, feel or tell in anyway if an area that might have some sand that seems looser. Zafron will pull out his 10' pole and start pocking around. He will ask Tabbi to hand her pole to Sorril. "Sorril help me pock around. I will start on the left side of this path and you start on the right. Bryce and Tabbi, let us know if you notice someone special about this cliff."
counterkid
Knight
Knight

Post by counterkid »

"Galan, do you see any openings from up there?"
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"Sorril, while they fuss about the edge, let's give one of these stones a once over."

Van approaches the closest stone to himself.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Van begins inspecting one of the stones. The piece is good solid Granite not native to anywhere near this swamp. Has been worn and weathered as if it has stood here for centuries. The monolith is easily 15 feet high and appears to be embedded in the Earth who knows how deeply. It would take a feat of monumental proportions to move such a thing even with magical Aid and multiple workers. There are no apparent marks upon it other than those left by wind and weather.

Zafron begins poking around the crumbling sandy cliff from the East as another ally begins from the West [who depends on if Sorril will do this or if Van has him inspect the stones]
After about an hour of prodding and moving along the slope, both Zafron and his ally find a spot where the long pole pushes farther through into the hill, revealing a hidden space!
[These locations are about 60 feet in from the edges of the mound. A spot wide enough to crawl through can be opened by a person digging for 30 minutes, or by up to 3 people digging together for 10 mins]

[Time is about 10 am Day 1]
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

If the initial inspection of the stone delivers nothing interesting he will get Sorril to help Zafron.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Galan will circle around all the stones looking at their surfaces for any clues or differences. Then he will get back to the ground and go over to the stones touching them with a stick. "I wonder if the stones radiate anything of the nature of the being brought them here, and why would it made the effort. Scare us? Comical evil architecture style?" he says to his friend Faldair, then adds, "Let's help our friends with the opening they found."

==================================================================================
(OOC: I thought casing detect magic/evil on the stones but it seems another entrance was found so maybe we can focus on that first...)
counterkid
Knight
Knight

Post by counterkid »

"Hey, I think I found something." Zafron gives his pole to Tabbi and pulls out his shovel to start digging.

"Did anyone else bring a shovel? I could use some help" "As I'm digging how about you continue poking around as he give his staff to Tabbi."
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

[ok, compiling the last hour of activity]

The inspection of the stones doesn't reveal anything, and thus Vangram sends Sorril to prod the West side. Meanwhile Galan sails about the stones as well, also finding nothing unusual about them aside from their presence in the swamp.

Zafron calls out regarding the opening 60 feet in from the East edge of the cliff, about the same time Sorril calls out for the opening 60 feet from the West edge.

Zafron hands his 10 ft pole to Tabby who continues searching the slope inward from the East. Galan and Faldair help Zafron dig and in about 10 minutes a small enough space to crawl through is opened. [for the sake of expediency] Elidyr and Van help Sorril clear a similar passage on the other side.

[Current time is 10:10 am]

The West Entrance [#1]
Vangram, Sorril, Bryce and Elidyr

The corridor is of plain stone, roughly worked, and it is dark and draped with cobwebs obscuring the ceiling over 15 feet above, coating the walls and even hanging like curtains in the middle of the passage. The scant daylight filtering through the crawlspace reveal a pair of oaken doors at the end of the passageway some 30 feet away. [Map location 1. Image 1]

The East Entrance [#2]
Zafron, Galan, Faldair and Tabby nearby

Another plain stone passage way, but the ceiling is only 10 high. Daylight spilling in from the newly excavated entrance is barely enough to dimly see what appear to be two separate doors at the end of the corridor some 60 feet away. [Map location 2, Image 2]
ToH 1 and 2.jpg
ToH 1 and 2.jpg (251.21 KiB) Viewed 10089 times
=====[Maps to be added shortly]
Which entrance will the group explore first? Whom and how? :satan:

I didn't seem to get pictures for Bryce and Vangram, so I chose tokens. If you want a different one send me a character picture.
Map 1: Bryce is Left, Vangram Right. Elidyr at top, and Sorril in the entrance.

Map 2: Zafron in the entrance, Galan to the Right, Tabby about 15 feet off to the Left, Faldair beside Galan.

1 square is 10 feet
1 hex is appx 5 feet
ToH 1.jpg
ToH 1.jpg (59.13 KiB) Viewed 10087 times
ToH 2.jpg
ToH 2.jpg (101.72 KiB) Viewed 10087 times
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Galan leaves the griffon in the entrance, then cowers and steps inside.
"Hmm... it seems there is some inscription on the doors. Let's call the others." Galan says, steps outside and calls, "Hey guys, Zafron have found an entrance here... Want to join us?" Once he realizes the others have found another entrance he reports it to Faldair, Zafron and Tabby and adds, "Let's combine forces. First we will all inspect the other entrance, then this entrance and we will decide which side to start with." and understanding currently there will be no more need for the Griffon he dismisses it.

================================================
(OOC: What is the height of the mound? and what is the diameter at the base and at the height of the entrances? Is the mound all constructed of soft soil? And... I forgot the monster name but there is some monster that digs into rocks very fast... How fast can it dig through the mound to the center of it?
Oh.. it's umber hulk or something I think.)
counterkid
Knight
Knight

Post by counterkid »

"Before we decide to enter one of these entrances let's take a make an inventory check. "I'm equipped for fighting. I have a magical scimitar, a bag of holding, gauntlets of ogre power, an Ioun stone and 1 potion of healing." "I have a rope, torches and oil."
"Tabbi what do you have?"

Tabbi: "I have magical dagger, a ring of protection and boots of speed. I also have rope and a grappling hook."

"Galan, what are your memorized spells?"

"Elidyr, what are your memorized spells?"
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Galan appraises Zafron slowly. "It is smart of you to consider such things. We should coordinate our efforts as much as possible. I have many spells memorized, but my dearest weapon is my Mandolin, and my greatest shield is your trust." he looks around at all the fine adventurers that came to root out the evil of this place.
He removes his Mandolin from his back and starts a slow music that takes pace as it continues while giving his speech.
"For your question, I don't have healing powers, but my dearest friend Faldair has the blessing of the gods and can help greatly on that matter. My spell focus more on protecting my company than harming the enemies, and so I can turn us invisible for a short while, for example when sneaking towards the enemy or when we need to fall back, some minor protection against magic, Altering one strength, or polymorphing." the music is coordinated with each of the issues he presents turning mysterious with the mention of polymorphism.
"Well," he smiles with his perfect white teeth, "I hope you all feel more comfortable right now and that my answer satisfy you." he gives a small bow with his head to Zafron, hangs the Mandolin with its safe case on his back and study the western entrance.

================================================================================
(OOC: [Enforced] Inspired performance :)
As far as I understand Bardic inspiration can be uses at will as long as the battle hasn't started yet, right?

I suggests we will all be in one group, inspect both entrances and then decide where to get in from. I think the eastern entrance had some writings on the door but I prefer us all be there together as we might teleport somewhere and never meet again.. :)

Counterkid, you can see my spells in my character sheet. We can reason we spoke of it in camp especially where I suggested to cast stoneskin on several party members the night before.
)
Squirrellord
Lord
Lord

Post by Squirrellord »

Bryce looks at his brother with surprise clearly written on his face. "Perhaps I've been doing this to long on my own... you are right gentlemen, to be successful we need to understand each others capabilities."
To the group at large he gives a jaunty half salute. "Bryce Mondoon, professional troubleshooter at your service. I deal with finding and disabling nasty surprises. I am stronger than I look thanks to some assistance, I prefer to keep out of a fight if I have the option and it seems I have pretty standard gear.... outside of a remarkable amount of rope that is. Hmm, what else? Oh yes! I seem to have a knack for finding trouble, probably how I ended up in this damn swamp."
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Van walks up behind his brothers. "I keep them from dying." As he claps them on the shoulder. "Permanently anyway."
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Galan smiles at Van comments.

==============================================
(OOC: So we are now all at the western entrance? Give is a thorough search, then do the same in the eastern entrance, and then Galan will try his probable path ability to decide where is the best entrance to follow...
What about the height of the mound and the time for umber hulk to dig to the middle of it?)