Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

The Heart of Darkness... [Main Game Thread]

The (Original!) Tomb of Horrors!!!
S1 by the great Gygax 1978. Everything adapted to 2e. This is NOT the Return to ToH written for 2e

Labyrinth of Madness!!! Previously Concluded (by TPK)
S6 by Monte Cook from 1995. Designed for 2e. IMHO this one is the tougher of the two, but not by much.

Moderator: TristenC

BishGada
Viscount
Viscount
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: The Heart of Darkness... [Main Game Thread]

Post by BishGada »

"What a great fortune to meet you all!" Galan says warmly. "I hope we can deal better with fireballs than send you forth, but if you happen to block one my greatest gratitude." His eyes will shift to the dark hill emanating fear, "Well, let's move. Scouts ahead, the rest follow short behind." He sends Faldair a knowing look but says nothing.

==========================================
(OOC:
I planned to sent it hours ago and for some reason it was only as draft, so with little change I send it now.

I think we should follow those with danger sense/detect traps/detect evil.
Some general questions:
1. It is said there were many leads during the years that all fail. What was the difference about this tomb lead?
2. What do we know about demi-lich? We are very high levels so we might know stuff. What about Lore knowledge about this Acererak? Are there rumors of how he raised to power? Special or preferred methods of killing? Same "Lore" about this tomb... any clues about what to be prepared for?
3. Do we believe the tomb is the origin of the pestilence? Acererak is the origin of the pestilence? Why would he create such pestilence specifically against IronGards clan? Are others immune to the pestilence? Do we think that killing him will cure the disease? Or that the cure is in the tomb? And why would the demi-lich live in the tomb for so long all by himself? Isn't he bored? Does he build something or research something that need to be there specifically?
4. You mentioned that the guides are "few survivors". Survivors of what? Of previous expedition? Are they NPCs? If not, wouldn't they never want to come near again?? Are they from the clan? What information they can spare besides the way to the tomb? Have they met something inside the tomb?
5. You also mentioned that large groups are required. Are we a large group?
6. Does the swamp water flow? Is there a current that can give clue to underground entrance (or escape)?
7. Who has danger sense?!? :)
8. Is Zafron the scout?
)
Squirrellord
Lord
Lord

Post by Squirrellord »

Bryce Mondoon moves up between his brothers and claps a hand on each brothers shoulder. "I suppose that means I shall head out. Alright then, try not to die eh?" Moving forward he calmly calls back "Eyes and ears open people, call out if you notice anything."
counterkid
Knight
Knight

Post by counterkid »

"I'm also willing to help scout."
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

[Anyone who wants to scout can, just describe your intended path and anything special you are looking for. Tabby will join the scouts unless Zafron asks her to stick nearby.]

Tabby and two of the Mondoon brothers spread out, approaching the hill... [Tabby will start off in whatever direction is not covered by the Mondoons]

Elidyr Pafiel, a robed elven man with a shield on his back and short sword on his hip, watches Bryce set out. He follows at a leisurely pace, but his eyes constantly scan the mound. His face shows little expression, but his hand lays on what must be a mage's components pouch

[Feel free to post character descriptions in the Roster thread]
=====

Bish:
1. It is said there were many leads during the years that all fail. What was the difference about this tomb lead?
The expedition that initially came to this location was the only one that found anything worth reporting. They are the expedition referred to in the following line from the intro post:
"Expeditions were sent to ascertain the truth of these various leads, but to no avail.. until most recently..."

2. What do we know about demi-lich? We are very high levels so we might know stuff. What about Lore knowledge about this Acererak?
Specifically about Demi-Liches, nothing beyond what one might speculate based on knowledge of a Lich.
To my knowledge this (Tomb of Horrors Module) is the absolute FIRST instance of a Demi-Lich. In the spirit of that, no character entering the Tomb of Horrors would ever have direct contact with one, or know anyone who had.
Liches, however, are likely known to higher level adventurers. They are the result of powerful mages who eventually sought immortality through terrible rituals in order to become undead. It would likely be known to at least some of the high level adventurers here that their spirits reside in a Phylactery, which must be destroyed to permanently dispose of them. They have the typical immunities of undead, and are always extremely high level magic users.

Are there rumors of how he raised to power? Special or preferred methods of killing? Same "Lore" about this tomb... any clues about what to be prepared for?
Given the consideration above, all that can be gleaned in this regard is what was provided in the Intro post

3. Do we believe the tomb is the origin of the pestilence? Acererak is the origin of the pestilence?
Per the intro post, all of the magic employed to determine the cause/origin of the pestilence pointed to various leads. The only lead that panned out brought the party here.
"Shordenth... has spent no small amount of his vast fortune... to unearth cure or cause. Expeditions were sent to ascertain the truth of these various leads..."

Why would he create such pestilence specifically against IronGards clan? No one living knows. You can ask Acererak that if/when you find him :satan:
Are others immune to the pestilence? only those in some way related to Shordenth have fallen ill. His clan is quite large and even those of the weakest ties by blood to him have been afflicted. There are thousands of them and they are of the royal line.
Do we think that killing him will cure the disease? Or that the cure is in the tomb? That is obviously what Shordenth hopes for, but it has not been confirmed. Still the reward is dependent on ending the evil that caused it and says nothing about curing them.
And why would the demi-lich live in the tomb for so long all by himself? Isn't he bored? Does he build something or research something that need to be there specifically? "Live" in the tomb isn't the wording I would use :lol: Once again, to ascertain his reasoning, you would have to ask Acererak :D

4. You mentioned that the guides are "few survivors". Survivors of what? Of previous expedition? Yes. Are they NPCs? Four of them are among the camp trail men and expeditioners. If not, wouldn't they never want to come near again?? They did not want to come back, they wanted to stay home. but the King's orders and reward for taking the party are not something easily ignored.
Are they from the clan? What information they can spare besides the way to the tomb? They have given all the info they can. (see intro post)
Have they met something inside the tomb? They have not been inside

5. You also mentioned that large groups are required. Are we a large group? I would say 4 PCs and 20 pregens is a large adventuring group, yes. :lol:

6. Does the swamp water flow? Is there a current that can give clue to underground entrance (or escape)? The water is brackish, stagnant and still. It does not flow in any perceivable way. Nice question

7. Who has danger sense?!? :) Lol. Pik did, but he died. Bryce has it, but that doesn't mean Galan knows that ;)

8. Is Zafron the scout? Anyone who wants to go first can be :satan: but Bryce is technically the Rogue.
counterkid
Knight
Knight

Post by counterkid »

Zafron will stick with Vangram walking 40 feet behind his brother and Tabbi.
"Let's start with the North of our camp."
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Galan rides the griffin at 10' height and about 10' behind the line of scouts maintaining eye contact with them and looking forward in each of their paths to locate any monster that might lurk behind some obstacle.

========================================================
(OOC: Thanks for the answers. We are set to go and die quickly now :)
So it is Bryce, Zafron and Tabby going first, I suggest the obvious which are two flanks and one in the middle, something like this crude "map", where A B C are Bryce Zafron and Tabby in any way they wish...
Crap! Just now noticed Zafron stick with the group. So Galan moves a bit to the left to fill the gap but still looks for the others paths in the lookout.
_____________Skull Mouth
_______________|_____|
____________|___________|
___________________B
_____________(A)____________C
)
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

The group moves forward to the massive mound. The walls of it rise 60 feet above the relatively flat ground of the small island. This slope (south slope), is more gradual than the other three and appears easier to climb.

====
counterkid, you suggested north of camp but the entire Mound is north of the camp. Did you mean the North (far) side of the mound?

Bish, you mentioned the mouth of the "face" is that where Galan would like to go?
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Van will stick with the main group, watching behind even though it should be safe for now. Charging in if combat starts, making sure the squishy members don't get squashed.
counterkid
Knight
Knight

Post by counterkid »

I meant North of the camp. I thought we could go East or West. We will start with the South End of the mound.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Walking along beside the south face of the mound, it becomes more evident just how intensive its undertaking must have been to build such a solid, tall structure in the middle of a swamp... if swamp it had been centuries ago when it must have been created. Now ugly weeds, thorns and briars cover the slope. The south side bears no apparent indication of what lies within, or how one might reach it. In fact, aside from the natural dispersion of plant life, it seems remarkably uniform in slope along its entire southern face.

The east and West faces (as the scouts draw closer to the corners of the mound) have a similar appearance to the south Face; though they sweep down into the swamp rather than the flatter land leading back to camp. The top lies a short, steep but manageable climb above.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

==============================================
(OOC: Are we facing a wall from all directions or is there a path between the monolithic stones?)
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

===
the stones are on top. the group has not climbed the mound yet. the 'wall' is the sloped side of the mound. it is 60 feet high
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Galan flies down to the scouts saying, "Well, it seems the south slope is the one we are going to take, although it might be a trap. I suggest one of you will take the lead. Check for traps over the ground. I'll fly up and try to alert and help if anything happen. Once we are on top of the mound the others shall follow." and then he sees that the plan is executed.

==========================================================
(OOC: If Bryce will give a clue that he is good with avoiding traps/dangers more than Tabby, I assume he will be the logical selection to take the lead.)
counterkid
Knight
Knight

Post by counterkid »

Tabby will move forward with Bryce, she will try to move silently and look for traps before entering the south slope.

Move Silently: [1d100] = 21
Find Traps: [1d100] = 15

Tristen what is the ruling for distance on doing this types of thieves checks?
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

[move silent is at 1/3 travel rate. find traps is 1d10 minutes for an object. i would say outdoors it's not the most applicable unless you have a subject. in this case i'd let it cover a 10 sq ft area of ground. or you can describe how you would like Tabby to search; I.e prodding the ground with a stick of a certain length Etc]