Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Act 2 Scene 3: “To 'Where the Old Bones Lie'” (Game Thread)

Library of closed threads.

Moderator: TristenC

Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Act 2 Scene 3: “To 'Where the Old Bones Lie'” (Game Thre

Post by Jenara »

"Life always seems like its 'one step closer'" The Bard squeezes the hand holding hers, resuming her place next to the Hafling as she watches Jerry and Merrick with concern, saying nothing she considers the task at hand. "Elsa, what did you dream?" She asks quietly, her head resting against the Cleric.

Marching order for consideration.

Adrastia, Artanis,
Pytor, Pyros (in case he needs to scout)
Cross, Adran,
Jerry, Merrick,
Mira, Elsa.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
mltillis
Marshall
Marshall

Post by mltillis »

"Dragon things? What do you mean? A kingdom actually used dragons to fight their war? That would be almost impossible to overcome." Pytor smiled as the curious "hafling?" bolted from the cold water. Finishing with his bath, Pytor sat in the pool letting the cold seep into his skin until he felt numb. For several minutes he floats motionless collecting his thoughts. The cold helped make things clear, silencing the old cravings he had become accustomed to, as well as the new ones from this morning. He had enough problems as it was, he thought. Now was not the time to be letting his heart or his loins go wandering about.

His mind set, Pytor wades back to the bank and gets dressed after shaking off what water he can. Returning to the group he jumps in with breaking camp and any tasks that still need done.
"It's quite a place. A place of good times and bad, of pain and growth, but in the end a place of great hope. - But if you ever do come aboard, remember one thing: No one there is exactly what he seems. But then, who is?"- G'Kar
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

While on the march to Pytor.

"I overheard some folk talking, but I think some evil wizards, some how corrupted the eggs of dragons, and spawned these dragonmen, which they are using as their army. Everyone is so afraid, and gloomy. But in my opinion they are interesting how they come in so many colours!"

He will sigh.

"These wolf things, are not much better."
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Jerry cantrips herself clean, neat & tidy: "Clothes' grease & crease: begone! Decease", "Hair: knotted, astray! Become tamed; neat, I say!", "Dirty pores and skin: now fresh we begin."
That done, feeling better she settles down to more important albeit less urgent matters. If not already done, the priestess collars Merrick and explains the spell to him before casting Regenerate Light Wounds firstly on herself and then secondly on him. Next: time for breakfast!

She catches Mira's concerned look and, after breakfast, quietly checks, "Are you ok? Anything I can do?"

======
Assuming the cantrips need a roll:
Cantrip TN17 [1d20] = 4, [1d20] = 2, [1d20] = 1
Well, good job this wasn't lethal combat.

Maybe the natural 1 adds a faint aroma of freshly cut lemons..
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Once Pytor and Pyros return the group finishes up their preparations for the day; including some minor magical tidying and cleaning. Just before setting out, Jerry explains her minor regeneration spell to Merrick before applying an instance of it to herself and her companion.

Once back on the trail, the Ranger and the Dusky hued fighter take the lead through the dense forest. Artanis keeps farther ahead, and out of view of the others. He stops only occasionally to consult with Adrastia, as they had since setting out from Harmonia. Pyros keeps to the front as well, energetic at the possibility of new adventure. The rest of the group adopts a more subdued mood as Cross sends Fenrir aloft to see what he may, and the others speak in quiet tones together over dreams…

Though still within easy view of each other, the groups walk mostly in pairs; their hushed conversations not readily discernible to those nearby… M.. My dream..? Elsa replies hesitantly to Mira. I… well it seemed normal at first… we were just sitting together, you and I… like we were last night, just keeping watch. she pulls at her robes a little as if trying to bundle herself up farther against the pre-spring chill. And… I laid my head on your shoulder… like… like I was sleepy… but I wasn’t. An almost mournful look comes over the Halfling for the briefest of moments; visible only to the bard at her side. You were so sweet to me… you… started singing a lullaby… For a moment, the cleric gives the redhead’s arm a tender squeeze in thanks but almost immediately draws it away. I… bit you… on the neck. She finally whispers out, defeated. But I never would, you know that right? she says in a hushed but urgent voice. I… had these long fangs like a vam… like a horrible creature. Her pretty face contorts in disgust. I hate this place. Dreams don’t mean anything, right? Nothing we’ve seen has been true yet, right? she says, almost as if trying to convince herself.

Nearby, but not so near that they can overhear or be overheard, Jerry and Merrick have a similar conversation… As the Mystaran plies her knowingly inexpert attempts to draw the darkheaded half-elf out; gradually he relents a little. It wasn’t like your dream… but… there were some… thematic similarities… he begins. The pair walk in silence for a long moment before he continues. I didn’t change or anything… at least, not physically… I just… he shakes his head, as if unwilling to continue. After another lingering quiet he finally blurts out, I killed you. We were arguing over nothing and I killed you… like… like it didn’t even matter. he risks a worried glance at her before looking away as if he were scanning the forest. The worst was that… in the dream… I didn’t even feel remorse. I felt something else instead… I felt… power. The last word came so softly it was hardly breathed within her hearing. A grim set came to the native Sithican’s jaw then and he muttered, I told you I didn’t want to talk about it.

Thunder rumbles low in the distance. Gradually the sound grows closer as they continue, until it begins to sound more even and rhythmic… almost like the beating of drums. Artanis comes into view ahead as he waits for the party to catch up. The trail leads us directly towards whatever is making that sound. he says plainly, the undercurrent of danger palpable to the group.

By degrees the forest thins as they draw nearer to the source of the drumming sounds. A truly forsaken land begins to spread before them. The trees and grass give way to low shrubs that soon die out to leave a barren, cracked land that resembles a dried sea bed with canyons sunk into it. Round, red rocks dot the lifeless areas between the canyons ahead.

Beyond the snowy peaks of mountains can be seen in the hazy distance.

===
Jerry casts cantrips for Cleaning laundry, Doing her hair, Cleaning herself
Jerry casts Regenerate Light Wounds Twice; once on herself and once on Merrick.
It will last 24hrs/cleric lvl or until expended or the recipient receives magical healing

Not my photo, just thought it was cool and appropriate for mood.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"These Dreams. They are just.. They are getting far worse, I think they want to distract us." She explains to Jerry before turning back to Elsa.

"Sweet me?" Mira begins to reply, the attempt at a joke sounding wrong even in her own ears, "I know you wouldn't I swear this place is trying to draw a wedge between us all, its a place of nightmares... I remember dreaming that I was at your home, we'd made it.. I was singing and Yasir came in, only... only he was wearing a wolf cloak, only it wasnt a wolf cloak.. He.. He.. He was one of those things." Dropping her head to the floor she barely looks up.

"I remember thinking how there was definitely something to be said for enjoying a round of applause without having to look over your shoulder every few minutes for some hairy shapechanger thirsty for your blood. I hate this place too, only... There are little bits I love too, I love how I'm accepted, how I met wonderful people. People like you, and.. Sabrina, I like that Girl and.." Blushing far deeper than she intended, she strokes the Clerics chin.

"You won't hurt me, and I wont hurt you, ok? Thats our deal, I anything happens we deal with it. Together." Turning rapidly she raises an eyebrow, "Like I said, its trying to distract us, we can't let it, it.. it feeds off our fears.."

"Stay alert, please." She urges, her eyes on the Horizon as her larger hand slips into Elsa's smaller one.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Now THAT IS INTERESTING!"
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Before Mira turns away Jerry queries, "Worse. yes. Much. They? Any idea who 'they' might be?"

"Anyone any idea about the drums?"
mltillis
Marshall
Marshall

Post by mltillis »

(A little catch up on missed conversations included here.)

While conversing with Pyros:
"Ahh, unnatural magic corrupting the natural state of things. Many a tale starts out as such. How did the dragons react to their eggs being tampered with?" The conversations helps Pytor not dwell on his past and the cruel dreams that taunt him with both hopes of a future that could be and its loss. Still, during much of the march, his eyes drift to the front and rear of the line. Each quick view of his sister and the brad bringing a small comfort to his weary soul.

Silently he listens to the ranger's statement as he observes the terrain ahead. "Should we close ranks from here on?"
"It's quite a place. A place of good times and bad, of pain and growth, but in the end a place of great hope. - But if you ever do come aboard, remember one thing: No one there is exactly what he seems. But then, who is?"- G'Kar
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"They? The Gods that call this place home, someone wanting us to suffer.. who knows. Its just a feeling but one that concerns me." She explains, the sounds of the drums on her ears. "I've been thinking, you might have something to say on the thought, music is magic. If we can cast spells using that method, others like Jaconos can too.. My Mentor taught me that one song can fight another, one melody canceling the other."

"What if those drums are connected to the magic?" Turning to face the question at Adrastia she offers a slight smirk. "Don't be suprised if I start singing as we walk."

"Closing ranks? I bow to anyones ideas on that, like I said, I'm no fighter." She offers no mention of the fact she had held the Jackal man at bay for a number of minutes.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Jerry ponders Mira's words. "You're right, I'm sure. But that's new ground for me. Happy to learn though. Happy to help, too."
She listens to the drums to discern any pattern or tune?
mltillis
Marshall
Marshall

Post by mltillis »

"These things we've battled blur the lines between man and beast. If they are hunting us, it stands to reason that they may hunt like a beast instead of a man. Wolves like to watch their prey waiting for a member of a herd to stray from the others. Traveling with too far apart may provoke an attack on those in the rear."
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Then we move closer together." She agrees with the big man. "We are all learning Jerry, about ourselves and this place."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Jerry smiles broadly at Mira, "Always good, learning. I have found my learning to date to be, well, less aggressive than here."
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Coming from a land caught up in war, this is actually quite a nice change of pace." Mira replies with a flip of her red mane, "Still, a few moments peace without something trying to kill us would be nice."

Borderlands 3 - Navi