Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Classic Puzzle Dungeon (re)Advert: Tomb of Horrors!!!

Post here if you are a DM looking for players or a player hoping to find a game to join.
Forum rules
Please stay on topic at all times. Also, please use proper topic titles to help keep these forums organized. *Use gaming style, gaming type etc in titles* IE: Looking for players in a 3.5e D&D campaign.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Classic Puzzle Dungeon (re)Advert: Tomb of Horrors!!!

Post by TristenC »

This is a re-advertisement for the Classic Puzzle Dungeon game.
I’d also love to hear if anyone has played/ran this module.

This time it is...

The (Original!) Tomb of Horrors!!!
That’s right, I said module S1 by the great Gygax himself from 1978. Everything will be adapted to 2e (since that is the system I’m most familiar with) and kept as close to the original 1st ed as possible. This is NOT the Return to ToH written for 2e.
Green cover.JPG
Green cover.JPG (73.79 KiB) Viewed 15094 times
To paraphrase an old quote I recall but couldn’t quite track down:

The module is designed for DMs seeking the untimely, gruesome, horrific and gore-splattered demise of their adventuring parties.

As a side note, Gygax created ToH to challenge his long-term, highly experienced gaming chums…

The true final resting place of the Evil Lich Acererak has finally been discovered (after many false ones).
Bold adventurers arrive there, perhaps each with their own motivations (unimaginable treasure, destroy ultimate evil, revenge, power and knowledge, etc)

This was the first module ever to answer the question:
How would an Evil supra-genious with nearly unlimited power who had lived for Centuries protect his lair if he truly wanted nobody to survive!

I want someone to make it all the way through, so long as there isn’t a total party wipeout players will be able to keep rolling up characters if one of theirs dies-off. If there is enough interest, I can make some pre-gens for quick-replacements.

The Big Sixteen are:
1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
D&D 2E

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (e.g. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
Generic Prime Material Plane #4 (Genwald: my go-to) Though characters can be from practically anywhere, I won’t be picky. Kender and halflings together, no problem.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
4-9 players.

4. How fast or slow of a pacing do you want to set? Some games require that players post once a day, every three days, or once a week.
I hate having to push a game, but I know lots of people play at different paces. 1 post/3 days.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
It will be based on an xp value. 2Mil xp, which equates to about lvl 15 or 16 in 2e

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
5,000 gp of items, 5,000xp magic items [no single thing over 3,000 xp and no more than 1 over 2,000 xp] Most anything from the DMG will be available, as well as almost everything from the 2e “Complete Book of Magic Items”. Further details in the game forum rules thread

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
Classes: Pretty much anything from the official 2e ‘complete’ series of splatbooks. I have made specialized kits in the past, but the life-expectancy of characters in this game might be a little short to put in that level of effort for… Psions are Allowed for this one!

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
Any race from PHB or the ‘complete’ series, but Not complete humanoids.
Exceptions: I will allow (from complete humanoid) Bugbear, Gnoll, Flind, Goblin*, Hobgoblin, Kobold*, Half-Ogre, Orc, Half-Orc.
*Means they will get +1 to dex in addition to the stat adj in CH.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
Modified point-buy system, see gane forum rules thread for details.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
Alignment: Any non-evil. I do ask that you play your chosen alignment truly, and that (even if characters conflict), you respect the other players. That said, I do not believe Lawful Good equates to ‘Lawful Stupid’.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
Go for it. The base would have to be split for multi classers, though. A single class Mage with 2M xp is lvl 15, a 2M xp multiclass Ftr/Mg would be lvls 12/12, and Ftr/Thf/Mg would be lvls 10/13/11.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
Rolls made via Unseen Servant, and linked to the post. If this is not available (and we cannot find a suitable replacement, I will make the rolls.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
I use several home-brew rules for things like ‘firing into melee’ and spell components. Check out the Rules thread in the game’s forum.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
A short background is all that’s necessary. More than a couple of sentences, though. I’ll go more into this later.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
Rare for me, this one will be low on therequired RP scale, but will have lots of puzzle solving. RP with other members of the group is always encouraged and awarded xp-wise, though.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
Anything from the Purple Worm site with the exception of the ‘Players Option’ and ‘DM option’ series.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Re: Classic Puzzle Dungeon (re)Advert: Tomb of Horrors!!!

Post by TristenC »

counterkid wrote:I'm looking to join your game. I know Nocturno. I roll [3d4] = 5 [3d4] = 6 [3d4] = 6 [3d4] = 7 [3d4] = 7 [3d4] = 8
This adds up to only 39.

Second roll [3d4] = 8 [3d4] = 6 [3d4] = 5 [3d4] = 8 [3d4] = 7 [3d4] = 8
Total 42. This is going well.

Third roll [3d4] = 8 [3d4] = 6 [3d4] = 5 [3d4] = 8 [3d4] = 8 [3d4] = 8
Total 35. I think I just died.

Fourth [3d4] = 10 [3d4] = 8 [3d4] = 6 [3d4] = 9 [3d4] = 8 [3d4] = 9
Total 50.
I think i like you already
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Ah ha! Perfect. I will use Turn Undead! We win!!!11!!
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Lol.

[Copied the following here so it isnt before the advert post]
counterkid wrote:I'm looking to join your game. I know Nocturno. I roll [3d4] = 5 [3d4] = 6 [3d4] = 6 [3d4] = 7 [3d4] = 7 [3d4] = 8
This adds up to only 39.

Second roll [3d4] = 8 [3d4] = 6 [3d4] = 5 [3d4] = 8 [3d4] = 7 [3d4] = 8
Total 42. This is going well.

Third roll [3d4] = 8 [3d4] = 6 [3d4] = 5 [3d4] = 8 [3d4] = 8 [3d4] = 8
Total 35. I think I just died.

Fourth [3d4] = 10 [3d4] = 8 [3d4] = 6 [3d4] = 9 [3d4] = 8 [3d4] = 9
Total 50.
Nocturno wrote:
This was so funny to watch.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:32 pm

counterkid wrote:Hit point
[1d10] = 5 [1d10] = 2 [1d10] = 2 [1d10] = 7
[1d10] = 10 [1d10] = 7 [1d10] = 7 [1d10] = 2
That's 10 + 42 + cons (4*9) +21 = 109 hit points
Nocturno wrote:
HA! 10 more than Cait![/quote
ybn1197
Peasant
Peasant

Post by ybn1197 »

I am interested in this game. To be honest, I have played this adventure about 2 or 3 years ago. My character died in the throne room with the scepter and crown. I opted not to continue the game as I had too much going on in RL.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

I see. Well since it was a while ago i think it should be ok if you can keep any details you recall during the process from affecting the game. I'll add you to the game forum, and welcome :)
Justin Tyme
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Justin Tyme »

Hello! I am interested in playing this game. I have attempted on a 3.5 conversion on another site, but it became a non-starter. I am hoping this is different.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Hi, Darius. Long time, no see.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Welcome :)
I have yet to fail to start a campaign on this site, so if the pattern holds we should be good :)
I'll add you to the forum for the game and create a personal thread for you
Justin Tyme
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Justin Tyme »

Since I can't seem to find the thread to roll on, I am going to use the Giant inthe Playground Forum recruitment thread.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Just usr your private thread in the game forum