Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH. 15 - Before the Dawn

This 2E Dragonlance game is set in the city of Haven, during the War of the Lance. Haven is a city undergoing great upheaval. First massive numbers of refugees pour in, then the city is conquered by a draconic army. Can our heroes survive under this dark occupation?

Moderator: JadedDM

Haahque
Knight
Knight
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH. 15 - Before the Dawn

Post by Haahque »

The resistance? How cliche, I like it. Or do I? Isn’t that rather… obvious to anyone who might overhear? Wouldn’t it be better to pick a more covert name? Like perhaps 'The Jugglers' or 'The Dawn' or something? But, even so, what’s the point? A long list of bad experiances has left Haahqae jaded to the point where he finally decides to think about the full force that they’re up against all in one thought.

“If we work together? Do you know what we’re up against? The army has dragons! Giant fire breathing monsters who can melt your flesh off the bone in the blink of an eye. They’re nigh invulnerable, faster than the eye and can even fit through small openings easily. They’re smart and super perceptive. What chance could any of us have against something like that?”

“And that’s not all. They also have thousands of soldiers so mind-numbingly stupid you can’t even trick them because they don’t comprehend the concept of thinking. And that’s just the army. Then there’s the church.”

“Despite how the church should be reprimanding the army for all their stupid actions, it seems that they work in concert for some mind boggling reason. And the church has agents all over the city; eyes and ears scouring for information and reporting back when they believe no one is watching. I don’t know all of their agents, but I do know they’ve gathered all of the backstabbing heartless street filth they can find into some form of organised spy force. And that temple gives me the creeps, I can only imagine the black magics they have at work there.”

“Even if we got the support of every citizen in the city, we have no chance against such a foe. And anything short of cutting off the head just results in some stupid decision by the army to blame someone innocent and make life harder for us all. What could you possibly hope to achieve?”
Veni Vidi Vici
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Haahqae (Masked Dragon Inn)
"I never said freeing the city would be easy," the woman says. "But nothing worth doing ever is. You're right, though, we need to cut the head off. We need to assassinate the prefect. He is what is controlling the dragons and keeping the army and church from in-fighting. With him gone, things fall apart. And that's our opportunity to take back the city before they can reorganize."

The cleric adds, "And now is the best time to try it. The tide is turning in the war. The elves, dwarves and humans have formed an alliance called the Whitestone Council and have discovered an ancient weapon lost to time known as a 'dragonlance.' With these weapons, they are fighting back. The army invaded Palanthas and was driven away; their first real loss. In other words, the dragonarmy is occupied. If Haven is freed, they'll be too busy fighting the Solamnics to really do anything about it."

Kendra and Tulbas (Prefect's Mansion)
"First, you should all get to know each other better," Tethys says. "As you will be working together as a team, after all. Who would like to speak up first?"
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"I guess I'll go first," Kendra says as she turns to face the group. "I'm Kendra Synclair, and I'm our prefect's personal bodyguard." She didn't see the point in calling herself the Hero of Haven because she didn't consider herself a hero.
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

"Oh."

Haahqae is a little taken aback by the answer. He's always known that he's right nearly all the time, but it's rather rare for someone to outright say that he's right. Usually they seem to avoid the topic. And hearing that the tide of the war was turning was heartening. The dragonarmy was pretty bad at being customers; in addition to all the other things they were bad at. It would be great if he never had to perform for them again.

"But is that even feasable? I mean sure assassinate the prefect and all, but he's constantly surrounded by guards, his mansion is full of draconians and traps and he has a dragon bunking in there somewhere. Like I mentioned, nigh invulnerable and can kill you in the blink of an eye. And I mean... the man (is he a man?) himself seems invulnerable. Do you remember what he did to Darewind?"

"So what's the plan? Poison him? I might be able to deliver something like that if I got lucky; but I have no idea where to find decent poisons, nor what is needed to kill someone like him." That at least seemed feasable; if Haahqae had access to some sort of poison that could kill the prefect he might be able to slip past the defenses and drop it in his food or stick it into his back.
Veni Vidi Vici
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Haahqae (Masked Dragon Inn)
"I think you may be mistaking Tethys the Prefect for Verminaard," the woman says. "Verminaard is a cleric of the Dragon Queen and the Dragon Highlord who vaporized Darewind. Although we've intercepted some communications from the army that suggests that Verminaard may actually be dead. Supposedly there was a slave revolt at Pax Tharkas, the fortress to the south where they ship all of the slaves. The army is trying to cover it all up, though."

"As for our plan, it's still a work in progress," the man adds. "It would probably be best to lure Tethys out of his mansion, away from his guards and defenses. But still, before we say any more, we first need your agreement to join us. We can take you to our base to meet the others, if you do. Otherwise, this conversation should end here, before anyone risks endangering themselves further."

"I am Magnus, Wizard of the Black," the man in the black robes says. "And this is my apprentice."

"Burzan Half-Ogre," the half-ogre booms. "Loyal servant of Takhisis."

"Raena Deepstone," says the dwarf. "If the money's good, I'm in."

"Yvette," says the lighter skinned of the two women. "And this is Xyleena, my partner," she says, gesturing to the darker woman. "Between the two of us, we're quite skilled in just about anything."

"I am...Nora," says the cleric of Takhisis. She removes her hood, revealing that half of her face has been horribly burned away. "A cleric of the true goddess."
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

As Tulbas has already been introduced he sees no reason to add anything. He is just a bit surprised none of his former acquaintances surrender any hostility towards him. 'Maybe it is better to leave the past behind', he thinks to himself. 'Especially it's better not to show the problems at the prefect presence.'
*EDIT
Tulbas does give a kind small smile to Nora. He always appreciated her integrity as a person.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Kendra was use to being surrounded by follows of the Dark Queen, but something about this group made her feel a little more extra on guard. She tries not to wince upon seeing Nora's face, but she completely understands why the woman wears a hood. "I don't think we are going to be a very talkative bunch," Kendra comments as she turns to face Tethys.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

[sorry, thought I was waiting on chris but missed his post]

Help?... no... no. I just... I need to get out of this inn... do something, you know? Anyway... I probably smell like a week-dead skunk... I might go catch a bath or something... what are you up to today? Any plans?
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"Get out? Sure, understandable. ANything you need help with after your bath?" asks Shima. "As for me, I have nothing fixed."
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Tulbas looks at Kendra and is glad to see she didn't sink into desperation. "Less talks, more efficiency." Tulbas follows Kendra's sentence.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Tulbas has not seen Nora since she was caught in Verminaard's Flamestrike spell, which incinerated Darewind and his more loyal followers. She only barely survived, and obviously since then, has converted to Takhisis.

"Well, as long as you communicate effectively on the mission, that's all that matters to me," Tethys says. "In any case, your mission will begin at the High Hand. There is someone there we believe may have ties to the resistance. Or failing that, at least knows how we can find them. This will be your first objective. To find this person and interrogate them."
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Do you know what this person looks like?" Kendra asks.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"Or other identifying details?"
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Nothing really... I guess I should get a move-on. I shouldn't laze around all day... ...again... he added dryly to himself.

Gathering his things, Grubnick goes to the Masked Dragon for a bath.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"Goodbye," says Shima.