Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Chapter 2: Adventures from Narmaren

This is a Hackmaster v4 (aka AD&D 2.5E parody) game.

This campaign is currently in developmental/debug stages.

Moderator: Chris1234

Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Chapter 2: Adventures from Narmaren

Post by Chris1234 »

Is there anything you want to do in the last hours of the day?
Or happy to move on to the morning?
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Re: Chapter 2: Adventures from Narmaren

Post by TristenC »

I think just talk to Chett (don't need to rp out unless you want). Ask him about the slaver camp, tell him what Ruehar and Polly found regarding Earnie. Otherwise normal evening stuff like dinner, a couple drinks w/ polly and chett, relaxing
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Polly says quietly to Cheff, "He's in," and then changes the subject as the barman approaches.
Ruehar elaborates on their quest whilst spending 3sp.
The conversation rolls along and after a reasonable enough meal Cheff suggests that they 'Take the evening air'.

During a stroll around the edge of Narmaren Cheff elaborates on the information he has gleaned but won't be drawn on the source(s) of the intel:
A troupe of slavers are expected to come from the north along the coastal path to meet with a barge coming up from the south to pick up and transport the slaves to the block in Prompeldia.
The slaves were, he thinks, illegally obtained.

Unless Ruehar indicates that he wants no part in the proceedings, Cheff proposes the three of you be ready to leave at sun up, head north and head about an hour or so to the north to set up an ambush for the slavers with him as focal point and the pair of you under cover. All going well, you can then head south again to try similar tactics with the barge which should be due to meet the troupe on the beach half an hour's travel south of Narmaren about mid-morning. it's close on time but "...should be ok, Thor willing."

He adds, "Oh and if you're still hurt, we go to see Saryf at the shrine before we leave and he will help. We'll eat en route north."

======

How does Ruehar respond?
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Ruehar keeps his peace for most of the planning, nodding in satisfaction when Cheff mentions their target's slaving is illegal. Yeah, i need some patching up before we go. I'm feeling a bit whittled-on. he jibes. Sounds like a solid plan. You're certain the intel is good? Any chance for 'surprise guests' aiding the slavers?
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Cheff sighs, "Nothing's certain. Apart from death and taxes. I'm not been let down so far."
Polly chimes, "And breakfast. Everything stops without that!"
The three circle back to the Whispering Wind and Cheff bids, "Until the morning!" Polly adds, "And, yes, I haven't forgotten breakfast. Proper breakfast."

Unless there's anything else, the night passes uneventfully and Ruehar has time for rest, reverie and spell memorization. {OOC: What spells will he choose?}
Leaving the inn quietly, the three adventurers go to visit Saryf who nods at Cheff, smiles at Ruehar & Polly, and after a breif conversation about wounds casts two light curing spells on Ruehar. {+25HP, so on max HP.)

======
Anything else before you leave town?
Oh and an observation check, please, +20% bonus.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Ruehar thanks Saryf [do i owe him anything?] And heads to bed.

====
[He'll go with the same spell selection: Sleep, Sleep, Protection from Evil]
Observation: 19% +20 = 39%
url=http://www.unseenservant.com/default.as ... 66&macid=0]RK001 observation [1d100] = 41[/url],
Lol. missed by 2
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Saryf says, "Be thankful for every morning, a time of renewal." He shakes his head to Ruehar's questioning look. "Lathander seeks no payment," but then spoils the magnanimity a little by looking up at the weathered roof. He settles down to face the sun as it rises and meditates or perhaps prays silently.
As you move away, Cheff says, "After my tithe to Thor, I usually give him 10% of anything I make after expenses. Although that's been precious little of late." It's unclear whether he's referring to expenses for armor repair or for gaining information from whatever sources. Possibly both.

As the sun continues to peak over the horizon Polly, Cheff & Ruehar set out, most people still sound asleep in their tents, only one or two attending to bodily functions, and they soon leave Narmaren in the distance, Ruehar having to slow his pace to allow Polly to keep up and Cheff, encumbered by his armour, having to jog intermittently to catch up. Rations are consumed en route. After maybe an hour and a third Cheff indicates, "This is where I had in mind, and waves him hand, pointing vaguely at both the path and the hilly verge.

The Thorian settles himself down on the southward side of a small bush apparently giving himself a reasonable, if partially obscured, view to the north.
Polly and Ruehar have a choice of places to take position on the west side of the road, set back about 60' from the road roughly adjacent to Cheff's bush (which is on the east side of the road, actually little more than a wide track). They can take position up to 50' north of Cheff, each 10' taking them 10' further from the road.

On exploring the western terrain, Ruehar realises that he will be firing from a slope but from an elevated position and would have to crouch for the initial onslaught to avoid being head and shoulders above the shrub-line. Any human approaching him is likely to be hindered by the undergrowth but he will not (elven heritage).

What next?

======
Re Observation: so close! GH ? Any relevant Talents?
Combat modifiers:
Firing or fighting from a slope (uneven terrain) -2 to hit.
Firing or fighting from an elevated position +1
Firing or fighting while crouching -2 to hit
Being seen while stationary, crouching -90% if actively looking, -125% if only passive observation
Being seen while stationary, standing -40% if actively looking, -90% if only passive observation
If firing missiles, the above "being seen" modifiers are replaced by cover modifiers:
Concealment while crouching 90% (AC+4)
Concealment while standing 75% (AC+3)
There is time for IG discussion if desired, or we can move forwards to when something appears on the road.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Coastal Road.png
Coastal Road.png (547.77 KiB) Viewed 19543 times
======
oops I missed off that elves in natural cover gain +4 to surprise foes.
In passing, Establish Ambush Zone can add +2 to that (given sufficient preparation time, typically 3 Turns minimum).

Anyway, you don't actually have to worry about the modifiers - i will take care of them.
I just listed them as I had the books open (and to head off/pre-answer any queries on the subject).
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

[Sorry, i keep forgetting to post here. How do you like the mapping tool?]

Ruehar makes his donation discretely before heading to bed. [10 gp, 15 sp]

The next day whe setting the ambush, Ruehar picks a spot at an angle to cheff's so he won't be firing in the clerics direction. He moves 50' from the road and crouches, setting the brush around him up for concealment. He takes the tme to stretch and flex in small hidden motions so he doesn't cramp while waiting. He also keeps a sharp eye for wherr polly might be.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

======
Easily done.
The tool's pretty good, but I'm still a newbie with it tbh.
Took me ages to do that map. I think it came out ok though. Next one should be faster.
What's the best way of showing PCs & NPCs on it?
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

===
I've never used it to show player positions, but you could use colored dots or small text blocks a green R for Ruehar, Brown P for Polly, etc.
I typically only use Hexographer for overland maps.
More close-up stuff I use a free app on my phone (Android) called DungeonSketch. I think they make it for I-phone also.
DungeonSketch is the program I use for all of the character-level maps in my games. you can create char 'tokens' and move them around, hide stuff, build a dungeon, even paste a background image (like the farm combats in DoD) and it's completely free.
[/advertisement] lol
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

======
Ok, thx. Might be simplest to import it into Paint and play with it there..
My phone is a work phone, but app use is locked down as the company does mil stuff.
Its 5' per hex on this one btw..
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Happy with these positions?
Coastal Road 1.png
Coastal Road 1.png (1.01 MiB) Viewed 19526 times
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

[Yrp, looks good]
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Ruehar spots some movement. Looks like some men and hobgoblins, or maybe half hobgoblins with a variety of weapons and leather armours guarding a contingent of shackled slaves, mostly human males, maybe 8 or so.
Ruehar sees that Cheff is holding his position. No sign of Polly.
Coastal Road 2.png
Coastal Road 2.png (1.07 MiB) Viewed 19500 times
Key:
M = Human male guard
H = Hobgoblin or Half-hoibgolbin guard
Rounded rectangle (red) = shackled slaves in 3 columns
The faint green curve (top right) is the brow of a slight but steady incline sloping down to the NNE.

======
Observation check for Ruehar (to discern more detail (without standing up for a clear look).
======
Thx; will go with this then. (The only way I've figured out to do this is Hex for the BG & save. Import into Word and use SmartArt for transparent text box, then take a screenhot. Copy into Paint and trim, then save as png. All in all, quite a faff.) Edited: Just spotted the "Edit Object" button. That's a bit easier.