Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Act 1, Scene 2: “The Edge and Back” (Group B: Main Game thre

The 2E AD&D Homebrew Sandbox world of Genwald is large, ancient, and magical. There are many undiscovered/untamed places. The Sun Kingdom (European style, Late Medieval Human NG Monarchy) is the basic Campaign area, but PCs can end up anywhere.

The scars of ancient battles of titanic proportions mark the land. Wild magic zones, fantastical terrain, grand adventure, political strife, and even artifacts of wonder await. Choose your part and come make your mark on the world. A wide array of unconventional races and classes are available.

Moderator: TristenC

TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Act 1, Scene 2: “The Edge and Back” (Group B: Main Game

Post by TristenC »

Well, the title of the scene “To the Edge and Back” turned out to be somewhat prophetic in a way. I had meant it as a reference to the edge of the Sun Kingdom; Bordertown being the Southernmost settlement. The near death of two of the characters, however, gave it much more significance.

The wild elf encounter was meant to highlight how some races feel towards what many would consider ‘monstrous’ races (such as the Minotaur and Drow); untrusting, cautious and even borderline hostile. This is especially true when the npcs involved don’t know the PCs personally. In a similar vein, Bordertown was somewhat the opposite; being much less concerned about unusual races so long as their personality proves trustworthy (as it did when they freed the prisoners). The point was that those who have no indication of their personalities will probably mistrust them until proven otherwise. With the wild elves Garroth’s ranger tattoo, Linar’s patience, and the claim that they were working with Signa helped.

As before, xp for defeating the orcs was evenly split among all who took part. I also award a small amount of xp for new communities discovered (the amount based on their size/importance). This may seem odd, but communities are often a good place to open up new opportunities (rumors, items, jobs, quests, rest, training, etc). My thought is that, for a character (and player really), experiencing a new community helps them understand how it fits in the world at large. In a way, it can help them better understand how they as a character fit within that world as well. For this reason I feel that experiencing new places adds culture and knowledge, and so I award a small amount of xp for checking out new communities. That said, the intent is not to go traipsing about trying to dig up every minor Halfling village between here and the Barren Lands for the tiny xp it gives ;) [not that I think anyone would, but one thing I have learned with players over the years is that you never can tell :lol:]

Group B Rewards: [The total will be included in individual Awards on the character threads]

Returned captives to their homes: [6x15 xp] = 90 xp each
Eariel, Hew, Jensen, Mike, Moira, Tag

Wiped out the Camp of Orc Bandits: 200 xp each
Monsters:
[Orcs 8x15] (Boyd, Garroth, Linar, Van)
120 / 4 = 30 xp

New Community (Major): Bordertown => 100 xp

Group B reward Total: 420 xp each
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Morning comes to Bordertiwn and the group find themselves refreshed and at least recovered enough for a more typical day of activity. The long road lies ahead, another 2-day journey through the forest to the appointed meeting place... the bridge...

[Casters pick your spells please]
ausie
Peddler
Peddler

Post by ausie »

Burning hands.
Ausie

Garroth Kazzak (Minotaur Ranger/Mage)
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Colour spray & CLW.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"Time to go yet?" asks Linar.
He casts CLW on himself.

======
Note: this is not being selfish; just alternating.
CLW [1d8] = 3
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Linar takes a moment to heal some of his wounds, returning himself to a more stable condition.

The group makes their morning preparations and bids farewell to the locals.

[What order would the group like to take to begin their journey northward?]
[Havent heard from Sol recently, so we'll npc Van for now.]

====
Linar casts CLW on himself and heals 3 hps. Linar is upgraded to Hurt [5/8] hps
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Linar suggests he goes in the middle.
Unless Garroth has other ideas, probably best to put the relatively healthy Van on point.
ausie
Peddler
Peddler

Post by ausie »

(Garroth will cover from the rear. Garroth is still very weak. You one healing spell after he regained conciiusnes rolled a 1.)
Ausie

Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Linar sympathises, "Yes, I know, my healing leaves a lot to be desired. I intend to devote my single Divine spell tomorrow to you."
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

[Ok, i guess the others aren't going to post. Let's move this along.]

The group sets back out along the road, Boyd and Salem taking a lead of a few dozen yards. Van, Linar and Garroth stay fairly close together, with the minotaur bringing up the rear. The day proves calm and the weather cooperative for traveling. The adventurers pass the ambush site of the Orcish camp before long.

[If there is nothing theynwish to do there]
Around midday they come to the wide bridge over a steeply sloped embankment. 30 feet below cold, clean water rushes by; the calm surface indicating a hidden depth. There seems to be no way down the embankment, nor up the opposite side; but a well-constructed bridge of stone and timber spans the divide. It is clearly well maintained, and wide enough for a wagon and a two men abreast besides. A 3’ high thick wooden rail makes up the edges. Salem tests the air, but doesn’t seem disturbed by anything he senses.
ausie
Peddler
Peddler

Post by ausie »

Garroth nocks an arrow and covers the approaching part, while sniffing on the wind for any signs of toruble.
Ausie

Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Lanar whispers to Garroth before the larger fellow advances, "No heroics."

He then takes a position on the opposite flank of their point man, Boyd, so that the latter has missile cover from both sides as he advances over the bridge. The drow nestles in a comfortable shadow (HS) whilst taking advantage of tree cover.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

[Ok, it has been a few days so i'll press us on]

Boyd sets his spear and trotts Salem across, keeping a sharp eye on the surroundings. Once safely on the othrr side he checks the area briefly before Van crosses as well.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

After Van has confirmed that the far side is safe and free from ambush Linar will cross over and scout the remains of the orc camp for anything vagely useful or valuable.
ausie
Peddler
Peddler

Post by ausie »

Garotte proc Ed’s across the bridge after Linar keeping him covered with his bow.
Ausie