Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Char Generation

A 5e D&D campaign starting at 1st level in and around the city of Waterdeep in the Forgotten Realms.

Waterdeep: City of Splendours, seat of many thousand plots. Are they opportunities for success, or for an untimely demise?
Will the adventurers sit safely in their comfort zones? Or will they risk their all to carve out a slice of Realms history with their names on it? Puppet or puppeteer?

Moderator: Chris1234

Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Char Generation

Post by Chris1234 »

Unseen Servant Campaign number is 563.

All core races and classes allowed but preferably no evils. Level 1 start. Starting location in or around Waterdeep, so a few sentences of background around that would be useful.

Time when Kelban Arunsen was the Blackstaff and the Seven sisters were all alive (ok one was a ghost having been killed by a blue Dragon, I think) and Durnhan ran the Yawning Portal.
Roughly 1372 DR, but not going for strict adherence to Canon..

Stats will be via a Point-buy system slightly modified from the PHB

30 point buy system, stats start at 8. (A good backstory, preferably <300 words, may earn a bonus point* ).
Only one stat can be bought up to 16 before racial adjustments are applied.

to bump stats between 8-13 it costs 1 point each
bump stats to 14 and 15 cost 2 points each
bump stat to 16 costs 3 points

Example:
buying Str up to 16 from 8 costs 12 points [1+1+1+1+1+2+2+3]
buying Dex up to 14 from 8 costs 7 points [1+1+1+1+1+2]
buying Con up to 13 from 8 costs 5 points [1+1+1+1+1]
buying Int up to 12 from 8 costs 4 points [1+1+1+1]
buying Wis up to 10 from 8 costs 2 points [1+1]
Cha stays at 8
total points spent: 30

Stats (before race chosen) 16, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8

Player chooses a "Dragonborn" [+2 str, +1 cha]
final stats: Str 18, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 9

Edit (20 Nov 2017): Material from the Sword Coast book is fine. Material from Unearthed Arcana, please ask first.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Re: Char Generation

Post by Chris1234 »

Character Template, (with thanks & acknowledgements to Tristen from whom this was extracted.)

Character Name (Nickname if any), Gender, Race, Class(es)/Level(s), [D&D 5th Ed]
Alignment: N, Height: ”, Weight lbs, HD(1d ) Hit Points: / , XP: 0/300
STR: /+ , DEX: /+ , CON: /+ , INT: /+ , WIS: /+, CHR: /+

AC: [Armour AC , Dex + AC], Initiative: + , Speed: ',
Weapons: e.g. (Finesse); Shortbow: +2 to hit, dmg 1d6+2 R (80/320); Dagger: (*Finesse) 1d4+2 (Finesse) R(20/60)
Saving Throws: STR + , DEX +, CON + , INT + , WIS + (prof.), CHR + (prof.)
*Finesse: use dex bonus to hit and dmg for finesse weps (+2)

Racial Traits:
-
-
-Language:

Class Features:
-
-
-

Background:
-
-

Proficiencies: Proficiency Bonus: +2
-
-
Skills: Acrobatics + (Dex), Animal Handling + (Wis), Arcana + (Int, Prof), Athletics + (Str), Deception + (Cha, prof), History + (Int), Insight + (Wis), Intimidation + (Cha), Investigation + (Int), Medicine + (Wis), Nature + (Int), Perception + (Wis), Performance + (Cha), Persuasion + (Cha), Religion + (Int), Sleight of Hand + (Dex), Stealth + (Dex), Survival + (Wis)
Languages:

Gear: [weight in lbs]
Head -
Neck –
Held:
Torso –
Back –
Waist –
Pouch #1:
Pouch #2:
Feet –

Backpack: [5] { } => [lbs]

Weight without pack/sack: []
Pack Weight: []

Total weight carried: [lbs]

Current costs:

Total gp.

Personality traits:
Background: [Some of the 5th Ed backgrounds (as distinct from backstory) in the Swordcoast Adventurer's Guide (pp145-154) look interesting.]
Ideals:
Bonds:
Flaws:

Magic:
Known spells:
Cantrips:
1st level spells:

Spell slots:
Casting Level: 1

Appearance:

Backstory:
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

In view of the forum medium I’ve used Int saving throws as a mechanic to “not forget” things recently discussed IG (where it appears to me that details may have dropped down the {forum} cracks). This isn’t in the PHB so feedback welcome. Where the save is 20+ (or a natural 20) I may well give a bonus to the associated skill roll, e.g. Investigation.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

There isn't a memory check? Or it's normally just a wis or int check with a DC anyway?
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

As a saving throw some PCs get the proficiency bonus too.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Renown:
Renown which is a measure of an adventurer's standing within a given faction or organisation.
This is a numerical value that starts at 0 and increases as the character earns favour within a particular organisation.
Many organisations have 'ranks', a mark of status within the organisation. Rank loosely matches Renown.
Higher Renoun may grant access to resources such us information, equipment, facilities or other aid.
Renown may move up or down according to a character's actions but cannot become negative (or fractional).
An example is:
  • Renown - Emerald Enclave 6
Piety:
Piety is an analogous statistic for religions.
Significant Piety may grant bonus spells.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

TristenC wrote:'Help' mechanic, giving him advantage on his check, yes?
Correct. Normally a character can help another within 5' giving advantage to the latter's next action.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Notes on Perception & Investigation
If in bright light both Perception & Investigation skill checks would be straight rolls. If in dim light or Darkvision then they would be disadvantaged.
If there is a trap then as a generalization Perception is likely to be at a higher DC than Investigation. That said, Perception can be used (non-contact) before Investigation (hands-on/contact) but not the other way round.
In passing, I apply Passive Perception routinely if a char is doing thing (unless, perhaps, they say they do so with eyes shut). In dim light or Darkvision Passive Perception is reduced by 5.

======
This is my interpretation of the rules to date. It's an area of 5th Ed that I think is open to some interpretation so I'm happy to discuss if you have different views. (Weak pun intended).
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

TristenC wrote:chris, how would you interpret successfully sustained witch bolt if another creature is in melee with the target?
If the attacked creature receives cover from something and if the attack (to hit) roll fails but would have succeeded withour the cover then the attack potentially hits the cover. That 'something' could be another foe or ally.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Death Saving Throws

I was GMing 5th Ed last night and made an inaccurate call (in the PC's favour, happily). Here's the RAW:
  • When making a Death Saving Throw, natural "1" counts as two fails. On a natural "20" the PC regains 1 HP, i.e. immediately conscious.

While on zero HP, and additional damage is an automatic (additional) failure on the Death Save. If from a critical hit, then two failures apply instead.