Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH. 14: Darkest Hour

This 2E Dragonlance game is set in the city of Haven, during the War of the Lance. Haven is a city undergoing great upheaval. First massive numbers of refugees pour in, then the city is conquered by a draconic army. Can our heroes survive under this dark occupation?

Moderator: JadedDM

BishGada
Viscount
Viscount
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH. 14: Darkest Hour

Post by BishGada »

Tulbas serves the meal and pour the drinks and then waits for his master to start eating before he joins. After few minutes easing the hunger, if Magnus doesn't show any hints of speaking Tulbas politely ask, "Master, with my choice made, I would like to learn about Nuitari, of course the history, powers, philosophy, but also the responsibilities, what to expect on the path on. I don't think there is any way better than to learn from you. The Test was not ideal for study and the Grand Masters after the Test were not so inclined to teach." Tulbas reminds the Test hoping it might bring Magnus to speak of him being murdered by Tulbas. Although it was a dangerous ground, Tulbas thought they must clear the air if they need to live together and a teacher and student for years to come.

================================================================
(OOC: I assume Magnus was sarcastic with the "just in time"... doesn't he have permission to walk after curfew?
If Magnus won't cooperate Tulbas will bring in the execution news and ask if Magnus had learned something in his meeting that issue tasks for himself. I mean he will not ask from curiosity but indeed to act and help.
I also write it now because I'll probably forget by the time I'll post again :))
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Gobax stares, utterly stunned at the revelations. Gods above... he breathes quietly as his mind reels. Delharn... I... I thought I had more time... I tried to find... to... Numbly he staggers away from the bar, shambling his way back up to his room without so much as another word. He barely retains the presence of mind to open his door and lock it back behind him. Failure... so much of his efforts here had ended in failure... had he been too reckless? not passionate enough? Had he made some mistake? Surely there was something he could have done between when Delharn was captured and now.. but... he couldn't see what... one thing was certain. Going on the way he had been was NOT going to improve things... he had to figure it out... but for tonight, he felt like a bell that had been rung until it cracked...

[If he is stopped regarding rent or anything he will pay with half a mind]
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Tulbas Erogund (Mageware Shop)
"What is it you wish to know exactly?" asks Magnus. "I would have assumed your former master would have taught you the basics of the three gods of magic and what they stand for already. The main thing to keep in mind is that you are now a member of the Orders of High Sorcery, and as such are bound by their rules. Namely that you must follow the Foundations of Magic (All wizards are brothers and sisters in their Order. All Orders are brothers and sisters in power. The places of High Sorcery are held in common among all Orders and no magic is to be used in anger against fellow wizards in these places. The world beyond the Towers may bring brother against sister and Order against Order, but such is the way of the universe.) All wizards must follow the bidding of the Conclave and their Order. No outsider must learn the secrets of the Orders. All wizards must report any renegade activity they discover. Altering the forces of creation and the very fabric of magic is expressly forbidden unless permission is granted by the Conclave to do so."

(OOC: Correct, he has permission to be out during curfew. He was being facetious.)

Gobax and Shima (High Hand Inn)
"Hey, are you alright?" asks Green Tears. Gobax doesn't seem to hear her, and instead stumbles up to his room.

"What was that about?" the old woman asks Shima.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"Honestly, I have no idea. And even less idea about what's been going on," replies Shima. "I haven't been in town* much lately so I've pretty much completely missed whatever's happened. Care to tell me, please?"
If she doesn't, the dwarf will try to find out who the someone is that thinks he owes something.

======
*Technically true - he's been underneath the town..
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"I see." Tulbas says, "Yes, Raetmal thought me the basics but didn't focus on Nuitari. I was wondering if there is a principle difference in the way magic works when the power is driven from Nuitari, than when the power is driven from his siblings."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"Sorcery is sorcery, regardless of which moon it comes from," Magnus replies. "Each Order does have its own secret techniques and spells. Nuitari's will become available to you, once you grow in power some. You'll need to prove yourself first, in the eyes of Ladonna and the other Black Robes...and of course, myself."

Shima Longfoot (High Hand Inn)
Green Tears patiently repeats to Shima everything she told to Gobax, but as Shima had been eavesdropping the whole time, he already knew all of this anyway--about the execution of the dwarf cleric and a man that sounds suspiciously like Gregeddin in description. When Shima asks about the man who claimed Shima owed him something, she again describes him as a young elf mage. As there is only one elf mage in the entire city, it's pretty easy to conclude she's referring to Tulbas.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"Thank you for your patience. I believe I knew the man. I am sorry for our loss," responds Shima. "I do not believe I knew the dwarf, although each loss is to be mourned. Cleric though? Surely not of the dragon queen?"
After hearing out any reply, Shima gazes round looking for Tulbas, failing which asks her where she saw Tulbas last.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Shima Longfoot (High Hand Inn)
"You're in a minority, if you mourn the loss of the dwarf who attacked the marketsquare...twice," the woman tells Shima. "In any case, no, he didn't follow the Dragon Queen. No idea which god he served. The government's been pretty tight-lipped about that part."

Shima looks around for Tulbas, but naturally he is not present--if he was, he would have not needed to leave a message for Gobax. He could have just approached and spoke to him when he arrived. When Shima asks the innkeeper where she last saw Tulbas, she answers, a little dumbfounded at the question, that she last saw him here...when he left the message for Gobax. By now, he likely has returned home for the night since it's after curfew.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"Thank you," says Shima and heads off to bed, paying for one if not already done.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"I hope to be worthy of your appreciation." Tulbas says. "Have you heard about the events in the city today? Two people were executed. One of them was Gregeddin. You remember him? He worked for you to get spells. Have you other news in your meetings today? Is there any task you want me to do?" Tulbas asks, eager to test himself in his new role in life.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"Yes, the prefect told me about that," Magnus replies. "Gregeddin for attacking him, and the dwarf cleric for heresy and attacking the market square. He seems quite determined to wipe out any remaining rebels that may be hiding within the city."

He adds, "I don't have anything for you to do tonight, obviously. But the prefect seemed quite interested in the news you survived your test and took the black. He may well have an assignment for you soon, which should allow you to prove yourself." Having finished his dinner, he pushes the empty plate aside and stands.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"I'll be honored." Tulbas says his face doesn't surrender his mixed feelings. When Magnus stands, so does Tulbas in a respectful manner. After Magnus retires, Tulbas sits to finish his meal, clears the table and return to the library to read some more...

====================================================================
(OOC: If there is nothing special you plan, I'm ok with wrapping things up. Sorry I kept you for few days...)
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

XP is as follows:

Haahqae (Illusionist 3/Thief 5)
Explaining the importance of saving Ismene to Miracle - 50 XP
Casting Invisibility on himself - 50 XP
Casting Detect Magic - 50 XP
Casting Spider Climb - 50 XP
Picking the west wing lock - 200 XP
Picking the bathroom lock - 200 XP
Sub-total: 300 XP/300 XP (+10% Thief only)
TOTAL: 300 XP/330 XP

Kendra Greylock (Fighter 5)
Discussing the execution with Tethys - 50 XP
Visiting Norris - 50 XP
Discussing promotion with Tethys - 50 XP
Discussing thieves' guild with Pen - 50 XP
Taking Tethys' deal [Shinare] - 100 XP
Executing Delharn and Gregeddin [Takhisis] - 300 XP
Saying goodbye to Sadron - 50 XP
Heartfelt discussion with Tulbas - 300 XP
Sub-total: 950 XP (+10%)
TOTAL: 1,045 XP

Tulbas Erogund (Mage 4)
Discussing revolution with Jinali - 50 XP
Slaying Magnus in revenge [Sargonaas] - 100 XP
Casting Shield - 50 XP
Casting Wall of Fog - 50 XP
Casting Burning Hands - 50 XP
Casting Protection from Evil - 50 XP
Casting Grease - 50 XP
Casting Spectral Hand - 100 XP
Casting Chill Touch - 50 XP
Defeating Jinali - 175 XP
Completion of Test - 1,000 XP
Joining the Order of Nuitari [Takhisis] - 1,000 XP
Discussing future with Magnus - 50 XP
Speaking with Kendra - 200 XP
Sub-total: 3,075 XP (+10%)
TOTAL: 3,383 XP

Gobax (Cleric 4)
Sharing breakfast with Shima - 100 XP
Meeting with Crystal - 50 XP
Defeating giant rats (x3) - 22 XP
Sub-total: 172 XP (+10%)
TOTAL: 189 XP

Shima Longfoot (Fighter 4/Thief 4)
Sharing breakfast with Gobax - 100 XP
Giving coin to Gobax [Mishakal] - 100 XP
Meeting with Crystal - 50 XP
Picking new sewer padlock - 200 XP
Picking crossway padlock in sewer - 200 XP
Defeating giant rats (x3) - 22 XP
Defeating 1.5 HD worth of enemies - 60 XP
Sub-total: 366 XP/366 XP (+10% thief only)
TOTAL: 366 XP/403 XP