Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Idrys Stormcrow

Spike's homebrew 1st edition AD&D world.

Moderator: spike

Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Idrys Stormcrow

Post by Chris1234 »

"What you can learn depends on what you already know. So show me. Do you have practice swords?" replies Idrys, aware that he'd promised to meet his sister near some statue in a few hours.
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

'Of course' he threw you a pair of wooden swords and then he began showing you some of his swordwork, and they were very good in terms of being a solid foundation but lacked guile, fluidity, finesse, and creativity. He lacked imagination with the blades.

After a few exchanges, you discover that the one handed sword style was better suited for him, with two he was adept with the dag in his offhand but certainly not a full fledged second sword. Finally he was able to get better with two shortswords versus longswords.

'That was good, you taught me much, I like your style, even though I could kill you from afar before you'd ever see me' he said jokingly, then 'I have something which you might find useful. There is a secret dungeon northeast of here, it's been forgotten and lost from all memory for a very long time. My friends and I recently uncovered the secret entrance to it, and we began mapping out the interior. We cleared the first level, but the second we were driven back by a horde of ghouls protecting further exploration. Surely the damned things would have decimated us had we dared to drive them back. We needed a cleric, yet there were none strong in faith.

Return when you can, and bring others like yourself. I'll partner with you, I think there is something within that place which could make us all fabulously wealthy. Be well, and when you come back I will teach you more archery skills if you wish'
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"Well enough," replies Idrys. "Keep the girl safe until then and you have a deal. I know a cleric, so we shall be covered there."

Idrys cleans up and then looks for Drusilla to find out how matters stand with the prisoner, any news, reward or jobs and when they should be headed off to meet Karlane by the statue.
Last edited by Chris1234 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

Drusilla handed Idrys a hefty leather pouch full of coins, 50 platinum pieces. She said 'the magistrate was extremely overjoyed at the arrest of the perpetrator, he said if we're always welcome here' she said, then 'he also has given us two white mares from his stables in addition' she leads you there where you're greeted by a stableboy who brings the horses out. The child was a bit slow in the mind, yet he was good with handling of the horses.

As the both of you ride off back toward the portal, a group of men came out of nowhere from behind a rocky outcropping, they had leg chains and looked rather filthy...escaped prisoners from somewhere or other. There were six of them, the leader approached you saying 'got anything to eat or drink?'
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

On receiving the pouch of coins, Idrys gestures to Drusilla with it, asking, "Need any of these? And any chance of quickly changing some of these to a 100GP pearl? If it'll take a while then we best leave it."

Seeing the group of men, Idrys quietly asks Drusilla, "Are these from the magistrate's jurisdiction?"
He then turns to the prisoners, "Stand your ground. Where you from? What were your crimes?"

If they approach closer unbid, Idrys will kill them.
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

Drusilla says 'of course, wait here' she goes and returns a few minutes later and hands you a beautiful black pearl worth 100gp.

She turned to face you later and says 'no, they must be from some larger city'

The leader says 'different crimes, we were framed for murder and rape of a rich slave merchant's wife. We didn't kill or touch her, but we did burglar one of his homes and raped some of his slaves, yet we did not touch or kill his wife. We were paid good coin to rob him'
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Idrys puses his lips, not convinced. "Rape is still rape." Without taking his eyes from the chain gang he queries Drusilla, "What do you think? What is the penalty for aiding escaped prisoners?"

After hearing her reply, the hard man says, "So who paid you and what were you supposed to steal? In which city does the merchant live and what was his name? Would the merchant benefit from having his wife dead?"

Idrys will give this another 3 or 4 minutes and then be on his way.
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

The leader apparent said 'Lord Galvin Wolvesbane, told us to sack the joint and find a diary. He's in Ilthan, it's a day north o' here. Rape aint rape against slaves, no law bout that' he reached into his pants and produced a leatherbound journal, handing it to you 'this is the stinking thing he wanted, for what it's worth I think at least a little bread and water ought to be worth about equal to it'

Drusilla shrugged, 'there might be some obscure crime somewhere, there usually is with men. Give em some viddles and lets be on our way. You escaped prisoners mind your manners'
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

After tucking the diary Idrys throws then fellows some food and indicates for Drusilla to move round them. When she's safely past he urges his own horse on, then trotting to catch up.

A few minutes later however, he pulls the book out and has a flick through it, "Karlane would roll her eyes otherwise and I hate it when she does that."
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

The prisoners all share in the offered food and thank you profusely, saying 'thanks for this!' as you sped off.

The journal is written in ancient common and with a fanciful, spiderly style of penmanship. There are numerous detailed maps and drawings within it as well.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Does Idrys recognize any of the places?
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

None of them.

Leafing through he see's some are interior maps of places such as temples and dungeons, others are overland maps but he's not familiar with the lay of the land depicted in them.

There is a loose note folded and crumpled in the journal, and it reads in ordinary common:

Maetor,

Herein lies the fallen priest's last journal, our spy in Corealus was finally able to retrieve it from the royal museum after months of preparation. By your leave, I have bequeathed him a substantial bonus for his timely aid.

From what I've gathered after much toil and brain work, the knowledge you seek lies somewhere called the sixth dungeon, which is an abandoned temple of Lor. You can only imagine the depths of safeguards and deterrents they have laid in every known inch of their precious temple. Only a true priest or priestess with the anointing of Lor himself will be able to get us within and unmolested. However, such are in rare supply now as their order crumbles and their ranks squabble for power.

Take an attache of your most intelligent and gifted fighters, priests, mage's and a skilled thief to the cave depicted on the fifth map. Investigate, see what you may find. If my hunch is correct, there ought to be a cave there where the cleric was last seen alive. Speak to his spirit by way of speak with dead and ascertain whether the sixth dungeon truly exists or is a myth.

You have your orders, execute them with excellence.

Plagueis
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Do the names 'Maetor' or 'Plagueis' mean anything to Idrys?
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

Plagueis was a competitive rival of your surrogate father figure who watched over you, also a vassal of your true father the vampire that sired you and Karlene. While your father-mentor was a fighter, Plagueis was a scholar and a priest with an inquisitive nature.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"OK, let's go find Karlane," says Idrys as he stows the book away.