Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Act 1, Scene 4: "To Skald" (Game Thread)

Library of closed threads.

Moderator: TristenC

TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Act 1, Scene 4: "To Skald" (Game Thread)

Post by TristenC »

Upper Skald, the hill: Adrastia, Elsa, Mira and Pyros
The girl's brows turn down at the response, hardly taking her eyes off of the subject of their conversation. I'm not blind. And I don't bury my head in the sand like most people. Just look at him... no. He is not human... but what is he? she asks, searching the bard's eyes. You know, don't you. There was nothing of question in her voice. They say you travel with strange creatures... her eyes cut to Elsa and Adrastia as well, I thought it was just rumor, but now I see... She pauses in thought. I won't tell anyone. But don't take me for a fool.

Lower Skald, The Stone: Jerry and Merrick
Merrick frowns at the shopkeep's response, but doesn't say anything. As they continue their research Jerry notices a couple of things. First, there doesn't seem to be any mention of items that deal with outer planes, planar travel, or anything to do with holy items or relics. There is one exception, a very simple item designed for summoning, but it warns that the creatures summoned seem to turn furious and violently insane immediately after summoning. None of the locations of the items seem to be known.

The second thing she notices is that the shopkeep seems to be watching them periodically, as if he is either afraid they are going to try to steal something from him, or he is expecting trouble of some other kind from them.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Tell you what? You tell me who you are are, and I might just tell you who we are. Yes you are observant, and thats a good thing to be, although some people might see that observation as being.. well a little nosy. Personally I think its rather impressive, definatlely not that actions of a fool."

"Lets start again, I'm Mira, this is Elsa and Adrastia, and over there is Pyros, they are not strange 'creatures' they are my friends. I have never ridden a wolf into town regardless of what the stories might say." She pauses allowing a little laugh to leave her lips. "Do you play? I am assuming by the fact you are commenting on the ability of others you have some skill? Singing? Or perhaps an instrument?"
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

How far into the window is Pyros when they go to look at him? [LOL]
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Jerry thinks about the simple item of summoning*, and then adds while turning away**, "I need a moment." She tries to catch Merrick's eye and indicate with shielded hand gestures *** that he should speak to the shop owner.

*** (..touches lips, points at Merrick, points in direction of owner..)

=====
{OOC:
*What actually is it?
**Actually want to cast 2.Mind Read to check if the owner is a shape changer or else find some indication as to what is so troubling him. (Going to leave the details to you, Tristen, but she's trying to do this undetected and means the fellow no harm.)}
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Upper Skald, the hill: Adrastia, Elsa, Mira and Pyros
The girl smirks and shrugs, Charlise Nuveau. But it doesn’t matter if you tell me or not. I have eyes. She looks to the others when introduced and offers a simple, Hello. As the subject continues she returns her gaze to Mira, Music? I sing a little, like everyone else, but I’ve heard really great music before so I know what it is. Doesn’t mean I can duplicate it, but I don’t have to to recognize good from bad. And the wolf thing? Nobody really believes that, though they say it. Nobody tames wolves around here… except maybe other wolves. She turns as Pyros’ feet dangle out of the window. The smirk widens, This should be interesting…

[Pyros has found a small, lushly decorated practice room with an old man practicing a violin. He doesn’t seem to notice and he isn’t particularly good. Is Pyros attempting to disappearing inside the structure?]

The summoning item seems to be an account of a simple scroll for summoning extraplanar creatures, though it is explained in a way that causes her to think it must be an extremely uncommon item here; despite its prolific nature in her homeland… perhaps there is something different about it she doesn’t understand without the object itself…

Merrick, unsure what Jerry’s intentions are, nods vaguely and rises. He moves to the shopkeep and strikes up a conversation. A friend of mine has been looking for a scroll to find a wizard’s familiar for quite some time now… do you have anything in stock at the moment? The shopkeep casts a suspicious glance between the pair again, and hesitates. Yeah, I have one… one second… He turns his back a moment and Jerry begins her spell as quietly as possible, merrick’s idle talk covering the sounds. The man turns back and sets the scroll on the counter, watching Merrick suspiciously.

Jerry finishes her spell and indicates the man. Suddenly she feels an opening to him, like peering at his mind through a window. The thoughts are shifting and quick, sign of a clever suspicious person. He is clearly human, and very suspicious of the two of them. Should have known he’d be looking for a scroll like this… I bet he means to steal it when I’m asleep… Hah! Let him try. Nobody can get in this shop if I don’t want them to… And that girl… something about her… Bah, probably just half-elf oddness… Wonder what she’s looking for… Why is she looking over here anyway?

====
Jerry casts Mind Read
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Pyros listens for a good 20 seconds, if a note goes of in a weird screech he will loudly say:

"HULLO!"

Otherwise he will skulk about the room in a roguish fashion.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"Jerry decides there's probably little else to be be learned here and smile at the man, "Thank you. I can't see any reference to a crown."
She pauses in case any reference to crown passes through his mind.

As the spell fades she adds, "How much would that scroll cost?"

Unless anything significant crops up, Jerry then checks if Merrick's going to buy the scroll (or anything else) and then says, "Ok, I think I'm done here. Thank you again."

Outside she quietly and discretely updates Merrick with what she's 'perceived' but without actually mentioning word like 'spell' or 'Mind Read'. "By the way, you were perfect. As you always are. Anyway, so where next, shopping? Meet the others? Or check out the beds around here?" There is a glint in her eyes at the mention of the third option.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Well I'm pleased to meet you Charlise. I would like to hear you sing, like you said everyone does here in one way or another." Catching sight of Pyros she motions to Adrastia and Elsa. "Could you get him, dont be rough, just be firm." Sitting down if a seat us available (Or the grass) She taps the ground next to her.

"Ok, you tell me what you think Pyros is, other than a curious child?" Her tone is relaxed as she watches the girl.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Upper Skald, The Grand Hall of Song and Dance: Outside- Adrastia, Elsa and Mira. Inside- Pyros
Inside:
Pyros doesn’t have long to listen before a note goes wrong. He calls out loudly to the fellow. The old man blinks, looking at the instrument quizzically; almost as if he suspected it had made the sound. He abruptly becomes aware of the Kender standing behind him. Giving a bit of a start, he adjusts his coat and squints at the shorter humanoid. A small smile stretches across his aging face. Bonjour mon jeune ami, je ne t'ai pas entendu entrer. joues-tu? he asks, looking at the apparent youngster expectantly. [I presume Pyros said that in Common or Elven?]

An insistent Pssst! sound comes from the window, and Pyros sees Elsa’s head poking in. What are you doing!? Come back outside. She says in a loud whisper. The motion, however, catches the old man’s attention. He glances back and forth between the two with growing amusement.

Outside:
Charlise shrugs at the remark about singing, as if everyone singing was the most natural thing in the world… perhaps here it was.

Elsa glances in the indicated direction and rolls her eyes at the sight of Pyros’ feet disappearing into the room and moves off that way. Everyone hears a HULLO! from inside, just as the music stops. The Halfling rushes the rest of the way to the window and begins trying to extract the Kender. A few passers-by are watching her carefully.

Mira takes a seat in the grass near the street and pats the ground next to her. Charlise raises an eyebrow but doesn’t join her. He almost looks like an elf. And yes, I Have seen elves; even full elves, not just the halfsies. She says, obviously proud of the fact. But no elf would let their kid roam around like that in a Human town. And the girl… she says, watching Elsa, I’ve met short people before… really short, but she’s not like them. Some of them, they’re not… built the same. She’s just like a person, but smaller… same proportions and everything… And the way she is with him… maybe they’re the same kind. But it doesn’t matter if you say they are or aren’t one thing or another. I was just curious.

Throughout the girl’s talk, Adrastia’s eyes grow narrower and narrower, until she is practically glaring at the girl. Charlise glances at the dusky hued woman and nods her head towards the fighter while looking at Mira. And that one has Vistani blood. Of course I don’t think she’s trying to hide it, but they’re a rare breed in town.

The darker skinned woman grunts sharply as if she were nearing the end of her patience with the girl. You have trained your eyes to see. Next you should train your mouth to stop flapping, child. Charlise glares at the older woman before affecting a stoic demeanor, spoiled by a wry twist to her mouth and a too-straight back.

I rarely see the traveling people in town. Is it because you’re simply tribeless? Or are you a half-breed? A low, dangerous growl rolls from Adrastia towards the girl, and several people in the area suddenly seem to have urgent business to attend elsewhere. The youngster suddenly seems to realize she might have gone too far.

Germain continues to watch them suspiciously, especially with Jerry studying him. No thought of a crown passes through his mind, only more concern they might try to take or damage something and a hint of greed. The scroll is 150… unless your ‘friend’ wants something more focused, which would make it… 185.

Merrick thanks him and says, I will relay the information to my friend Cross. You will recognize a resemblance between us when he comes. The shopkeep’s eyes shift a little, puzzling out exactly what that might mean as the pair exit the shop. Outside, Merrick blushes at the compliment, but shrugs off the ‘perceptions’ Serath always said that man would cheat you if he had half a chance. Abruptly he realizes how she came by the information. Wait, did you..? Did you use something on him? You know that kind of thing is illegal don’t you? he asked in a hoarse whisper. What if he had some kind of protection or detection or… Shaking his head, he let out an exasperated sigh. We should get back, we’ve been gone a while now…

Lower Skald, the Riverside: Artanis and Cross
Along the waterside the fishing continues until the sun lies lower in the sky. With a grunt the ranger checks his line… the hook was clean. Some clever fish had stolen the bait, but it didn’t really matter. With a yawn and a stretch he released the remaining worms. With a small smile to his elven companion he says, What odds we’re the first ones back?
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"Actually I didn't.. know that," answers Jerry somewhat nervously. "Just someone, Mira I think, said one shouldn't, but it wasn't clear why."
She puffs.
Taking his arm, Jerry says, "So tell me a little about these laws, please? And what else is prohibited that I might not know about. Why would be a good thing to know, too. What drives the prohibition. Just in towns? How come the 'special' shops still exist?"
She avoids using the word 'magical' as if it it's use might get her arrested.
Last edited by Chris1234 on Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"I think perhaps you should applogise and accept that you are meddling with things you can't understand." Mira suggests to Charlise. "And to say sorry. We arent the enemy here, not in the slightest."

"Adrastia my dear, she means no harm, I'm sure even you were curious as a child." Watching Elsa and Pyros she allows a laugh to leave her lips, ignoring the situation somewhat. "I like you Girl, you have something unique about you. Come to the Wheel later, if you can hold a tune I might let you join me."

"My friends are who they are, thats all... Nothing more, nothing less." She adds waiting for Elsa and Pyros to join them.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Yep common.

"Ugh ok ok..." Common again.

He will try to climb the wall back out.

"BYE!!"
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Upper Skald, The Grand Hall of Song and Dance: Outside- Adrastia, Elsa and Mira. Inside- Pyros
Charlise glances nervously between the two women, but a stubborn look comes over her when it is suggested she doesn’t understand. She opens her mouth briefly, no doubt to release another sarcastic remark, but seems to think better of it. Her back stiffens a bit and she tilts her head back slightly, I suppose I did got a bit too far. I apologize if there was any insult. She says to the warrior, a hint in her demeanor that she was torn between whether or not to relinquish any greater degree of pride in order to make a more sincere sounding apology. but that doesn’t mean I don’t understand. she mutters almost inaudibly.

The dark skinned fighter grunts noncommittally in response to the obviously forced ‘apology’, but takes her hand away from her weapon. Her eyes study the girl with a calculating gaze and… was that the barest hint of amusement? Surely not… Charlise looks uncertainly between the women again, when the Bard mentions the performance at the Broken Wheel; perhaps trying to figure out the reasoning behind the invitation. Perhaps… she says slowly, I will have to see what the rest of my evening looks like. Apparently not wanting to press her luck farther, the girl nods to them in farewell, and walks off down the street; only slightly faster than strictly necessary. The warrior snorts and mutters something in an odd language.

Elsa helps Pyros out of the window, a wry twist to her mouth as she does so. I’d ask why, but I’m pretty sure that would be a pointless question. she says, heading back to the others with him. What was all that about? she inquires, watching the young woman move away briskly.

Lower Skald: Jerry and Merrick
You… you didn’t know that it…? He looks at her slightly askance as they travel, shifting his shoulders as if he had an itch between them. I thought it would be the same everywhere… I guess… Well, ok. If you didn’t know you didn’t know. But… Merrick looks around to make sure nobody is close enough to overhear if he speaks quietly. Keeping to Elven, he continues. Using magic in town is… frowned upon, but not wholly illegal.. Using magic on someone without their permission is certainly illegal. And using anything that… umm… alters or injures someone has severe penalties beyond that of say a physical attack… I know that isn’t what happened just now, but it’s good to understand…

Merrick quiets down a little, somewhat lost in his own thoughts for a moment. As for why? I mean it’s obvious… if a shopkeep could see the thoughts of his patrons, he could charge whatever he could get away with… or could see… umm… personal things… and use it against someone… Aside from an invasion of privacy, it would be an unfair advantage in business, and possibly used to further more severe crimes. Imagine the temptation if a mage ‘studied’ the captain of the watch, or a coin-house manager, or the Meistersinger himself! And as for affecting others, well… I mean that’s compulsion, isn’t it? You could have someone do.. Merrick colors slightly, well… many things they wouldn’t normally do… He coughs, going on in that quiet voice, People here don’t like magic because most don’t understand it, but there are enough students of it that it isn’t strictly prohibited… and it’s useful in many ways that people may see but don’t want to admit…

His words fall off for a while, and it almost seems as if he isn’t going to continue… Outside of town… well it just depends… the law isn’t different but people’s reactions are… you never know how someone will react to it… Maria and Ontash, they were grateful because we used it to help them, but another family might react just the opposite out of fear… and violently… Other laws of the land are just the sort of simple society laws you usually see, you know, don’t steal or hurt others or damage their property intentionally… that sort of thing.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"Because, really... they were flapping their gums, and the window seemed to be calling me... Pyros, Pyyyros. He didn't seem to mind... He will have a fairly big smirk on his face.

He will then go plop down by Mira. "Hai!" He will grab a hand full of raisins and munch.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"The invite is open, no pressure, but I'd like you to join me." Mira states simply and let's her leave

"It appears that some people know you aren't human." She explains as the Teenager leaves, "We're you a bundle of emotions as a child? Because I was." Hooking an arm with Elsa and Adrastia she turns to leave, waiting for Elsa to grab Pyros and leave.

"Pyros, one of these days, you are going to walk in the wrong window." She giggles.

Borderlands 3 - Navi