Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Act 1, Scene 4: "To Skald" (Game Thread)

Library of closed threads.

Moderator: TristenC

TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Act 1, Scene 4: "To Skald" (Game Thread)

Post by TristenC »

[It is not obvious to Jerry from her position that Pyros is trying to listen in.]

No few eyes follow the bard as she throws the shirt back on and leaves the stage. Aside from Allison, the party and the employees; she doesn’t recognize anyone. There are still some empty seats in the common area, but the crowd is larger than before. Erris gives the bard a sympathetic look and speaks in Elven, It seems he meant more than you let on. Don’t worry about the slip, it happens to all performers. You recovered beautifully.

Allison practically bounces up and down as the Bard approaches, giving her a hug when she makes it to the bar. Oh my word! Where did you get that outfit! You have to tell me! I have a special someone in mind, I want to see if I can get his eyes to pop out of his head! she laughs. Erris’ mouth twitches slightly again, was that the barest grin forming? Well… It’s not that I disapprove really... she says slowly, I’m just not sure how it will be received… Townsfolk can be unpredictable sometimes this close to the hill… Of course, things here are a bit more relaxed than in Harmonia with such things. But you might want to see what the overall effect is before trying something like that again. She finishes, though not unkindly.

[There is one empty seat at the bar between Elsa and Allison. Pyros is on the other side of Elsa from the empty seat. Jerry, Merrick and Cross have a booth nearby, and Artanis and Adrastia a booth on the other side.]

Merrick orders some food, I know you don’t have to, but… did you want anything to eat? he asks Jerry. He glances at Cross’ frenzied feeding, surreptitiously moving his hands farther back from the Elf’s plate so as not to lose a digit.

Nearby Adrastia laughs aloud at something Artanis has said, though by his expression he doesn’t seem to realize what has been so amusing. She whispers back to him and the half-elf chuckles into his mug as he takes a drink.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"Actually I am quite hungry. I'll let you choose, please. I'm sure you can find something nice for me to eat," answers Jerry with a slight smile.
She looks round to check on Pyros.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"I guess it was symbolic in a way, the Shirt is his... and well we only had a short time, it would have been destructive, but.. it was real. And thank you, I had to find the tone of the crowd I suppose." She explains as she pulls the shirt closer for a moment before hugging Allison briefly. "The Silver Bolt, Marie is a wonder... You should see the dress she is making me! Its wonderful... hmm.." She steps back eying the girl for a moment. "Try it on later ok?" She giggles, "Perhaps you can borrow it?"

"I think my style is a little different to what they are used to, my Mentor used to say: 'Music can change the world. One person at a time.' And I think he was probably right." Taking the seat next to Elsa and Allison she turns to her friend, "How did I do? Not too much? I think perhaps these..." Grasping her 'attributes' in both hands giggling. "were a little much!"
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Oh! That must be in Harmonia, right? Of course, it is. I might have to stop there next time I go for the festival! Oh, could I really borrow it!? That would be so great! she hops a little more, hugging the bard again. Erris smirks a little at the pair, Well, it might have been a little much, but done is done.

Elsa chuckles and seems to be enjoying her mead and meal greatly. Well you certainly got their attention... are you ok? I know Yas leaving was... well, hard on you... we'll find him again, someday...

Merrick orders some food for himself and Jerry, and soon they have hot plates of lamb-stuffed dumplings with beets and parsnips in a molasses glaze.

[aside from the music, are there any other tasks the party want's to complete before the end of the game-day?]
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Yes it is, she's amazing. A wonderful woman..." She muses for a moment. "Of course you can borrow it? Come up and try it on after the show and try it on. So It's like this.. you could have just served us and moved on but you were kind and sweet. So, I'll do what I can for you." Returning the hug with more enthusiasm she nudges Elsa. "Thank you Erris, they'll be talking about it for sure. Hopefully it will bring in some more people."

"I'm ok, sorry ... Someone said it was my hair, it.. makes me a little... Emotional." She shrugs hugging the small Halfing round the shoulders. "I might need to share later though. If you don't mind?"
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Nothing in public.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

After eating and receiving the share of gold Cross counts his coinage.

"Blast, I seem to have only about 1/3rd what it would cost for that scroll. I wonder if our Bard friend could be more convincing.... I will have to ask her tomorrow."

Pyros enjoys the music and bobs along. Memories of Tenlow coming to mind as he starts to wonder about Elsa and what she could spell out for his future.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Oh! That would be wonderful, thank you so much! Allison says.

Elsa hugs the bard in return, Of course I don’t mind. We have to stick together, right? You can always count on me. Elsa smiles kindly at Pyros, blushing a little and turning back to Erris to request another drink.

Hmm... Merrick ponders a moment, well, perhaps there is some way to earn money about town. We have a few days before our meeting…

[Ok, I think once Mira is done with her performance we can close out the scene in one more post.]
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Of course silly." Mira giggles and stands from her stool bidding the pair well she moves back to the stage, the shirt unbuttoned but firmly aroud her shoulders.

"Perhaps I should keep the Shirt on this time." She jokes, her little laugh calming her nerves. "If any of you Ladies like the outfit, you can get one from Marie at the Blue Bolt in Harmonia."

"So I wonder, have you ever loved someone and through loving them you felt you were the only two people in the world? I have, and this is a little song about that feeling." Taking up the lute she starts with a slow bass note and builds up the tune.

"No time, no place to talk about the weather
Promise of love is hard to ignore
Who said the chance wasn't getting any better
Labor of love is ours to endure

Highest branch on the apple tree
It was my favorite place to be
I could hear them breaking free
But they could not see me

I will run for shelter
Endless summer lift the curse
It feels like nothing matters
In our private universe

I have all I want, is that simple enough?
A whole lot more I'm thinking of
Every night about six o'clock
Birds come back to the pond to talk
They talk to me, birds to talk to me
If I go down on my knees

I will run for shelter
It feels like nothing matters
In our private universe
Feels like nothing matters
In our private universe

And it's a pleasure that I have known
And it's a treasure that I have gained
And it's a pleasure that I have known

It's a tight squeeze, but I won't let go
Time is on the table and the dinner's cold

I will run for shelter
In our private universe

I will run for shelter
In our private universe.."

My private Universe

The song changes without pause, the tune more upbeat.

"A wild ride, over stony ground
Such a lust for life, the circus comes to town
We are the hungry ones, on a lightning raid
Just like a river runs, like a fire needs flame
I burn for you

I gotta feel it in my blood whoa oh
I need your touch don't need your love whoa oh

And I want and I need
And I lust animal
And I want and I need
And I lust animal

Cry wolf, given mouth to mouth
Like a movin' heartbeat in the witching hour
I'm runnin' with the wind, a shadow in the dust
And like the drivin' rain, yeah, like the restless rust
I never sleep

And I want and I need
And I lust animal
And I want and I need
And I lust animal

Huh!
Ah!
Cry wolf, baby cry tough
Gonna hunt you like an, an, an, an, an, animal
Gonna take your love 'n' run

And I want and I need
And I lust animal
And I want and I need
And I lust animal

And I want and I need
And I lust animal
Take me, tame me
Make me your animal
Show me stroke me
Let me be your animal
I want, ooh yeah, animal."

Animal

Letting the tune fade out the last note rings as she watches the crowd.
"Many of these words are personal, my music is my way of expressing that feeling, of explaining my thoughts, this next one, its about giving in to something you know is wrong, but you cant resist..."

"You opened up my door
And couldn't believe your luck
Me in my new blue dress
Taking away your breath
The cradle is soft and warm
It couldn't do me no harm
You're showing me how to give

Into temptation
Knowing full well, the Earth will rebel
Into temptation
A muddle of nervous words

Could never amount to betrayal
The sentence is all my own
The price is to watch it fail
As I turn to go
You looked at me for half a second
With an open invitation
For me to go

Into temptation
Into temptation
Safe in the wide open arms of Hell

We can go sailing in
Climb down, lose yourself when you linger long
Into temptation
Right where you belong
The guilty get no sleep

In the last slow hours of morning
Experience is cheap
I should've listened to the warning
But the cradle is soft and warm

Into temptation
Into your wide open arms
No way to break this spell
Break this spell
Don't tell....

Into Tempation.

"This my last one." She explains, "Its about being free, yet remembering a promise."

"Listen to the wind blow, watch the sun rise
Running in the shadows, damn your love, damn your lies

And if, you don't love me now
You will never love me again
I can still hear you saying
You would never break the chain (Never break the chain)

And if you don't love me now (you don't love me now)
You would never break the chain (never break the chain)

Listen to the wind blow, down comes the night
Running in the shadows, damn your love, damn your lies
Break the silence, damn the dark, damn the light

And if you don't love me now

Chain keep us together (running in the shadow)

The Chain

WIth the last note fading she stands, takes a bow, grasps the Lute and heads to the bar once more.

"Better?" She asks approaching Erris, letting the shirt fall loose but keeping it on her shoulders. "I met a rather interesting young lady today, a Girl called Charlise. I did invite her to join us but.. she didn't show." She frowns slightly and takes her seat if it is free, the lute leaning against the bar.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Jerry claps and then then just belend into the background.
She tries listening to the crowd around her, hoping to pick up a few more words of the local language.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Pyros will just sigh and wander off to bed... still thinking of Tendrow and now Elsa.

"Perhaps!"Cross will down almost a jug of water, then head off to study his mage tome until sleep.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

The bard’s final set generates some mixed reactions. The first song goes over quite well, but the tune about lust and animals causes no few people to shift uncomfortably here and there. Some of the menfolk stare at her in fascination, clapping and slamming their mugs on tables in time to the song, others glance about with concern. The song finishes and many clap, some rather enthusiastically to the sidelong looks of their neighbors. The next brings much the same effect, and the last song has a haunting sense of foreboding to it; a tone members of the crowd pick up. After the performance several people make their way out of the inn or to their rooms without pause, while others keep in small groups talking and nodding or glancing in her direction.

Erris’ eyebrows tell the tale long before the bard reaches her. Quietly she speaks in Elven, In… some ways… I don’t mean your talent, of course. You are a gifted girl… I don’t like telling people what to play, but… some of those songs are not going to do your current reputation any favors. I’m sure you take my meaning, and I don’t want anything to happen to you. She gives her a motherly smile, I know you’re your own woman and it’s just advice. But... be careful.

Elsa enjoys the music, smiling at Pyros now and again, but leaving him mainly to his own thoughts. She calls out a pleasant Goodnight. to him as he heads upstairs. Artanis turns in as well, bidding the others goodnight, and Adrastia joins the women at the bar, watching the ranger ascend. Not bad at all… she mutters. At least one of you knows how not to get lost with the sun and stars out. she chuckles. Elbowing the bard she smirks, Thought you’d have some of the locals up on stage with you after those last songs.

Merrick and Jerry finish up, preparing to head upstairs for the night. The mage bids Cross good evening as well. Are you ready? he asks his half-elven companion.

[That’ll close us up for this scene. I’ll lock it tonight and try to get xp for this by tomorrow.]
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Jerry nods, and takes Merrick's arm, "Night all! Nice performance, Mira! Night!" and lets Merrick lead her away.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Mira nods to Erris in understanding, "I will listen to the others and learn... Your town is different, my style is changing, both from being here and who I am becoming. But thank you. I'll take it on board, thank you so much, I hope I will do you proud." Sipping her drink she takes the tips however small they were and hooks an arm with Elsa, Lute in the other. "Shall we?" Pausing she bows to Erris and turns to Merrick and Jerry. "Sleep well. And thank you." She turns to Pyros only just realising he wasnt there.

"Come, lets go." With that she heads upstairs.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

XP and Rewards (for game day 2/28 and 2/29/736)
Tasks/Jobs:
Party: Meet Akriel in Skald at The Old Kartakan Inn in 3 days (Barovian Calendar: Sunday March 2nd, year 736)
Artanis: Gather supplies for Rautant (listed) partial completion
Mira: Play at Broken Wheel [First Performance Complete]
Jerry: Begin Papermaking training [Arranged. To begin 30th]

Group Rewards:
Story xp:
“…An end to all this”: 200 each (Ending the threat to Ontash/Maria’s farm permanently.)
“Let them be free”: 60 each (Sparing/Freeing the wolf pups. 15/pup)
Party Time: 100 each (Met Adrastia and invited her to join the party!)
“New Places, New Faces” 100 each (Party arrives in and explores Skald)

Combat xp:
No combat xp this time. Xp for the creature Jaconos and his wolves was already collected after their defeat at Ontash’s farm. Xp for ideas and spells used during the 2nd conflict with him is listed under individual usage. Story xp was earned for ending his threat once and for all.

Total Group XP:
(200+60+100+100) = 460 xp

=====
Act 1, Scene 4: "To Skald"

Artanis [Kerap] Male Half-Elven Ranger/Druid (3/3)
[Current 5,232/4,652 xp]
Group Reward: 460 xp
CLW 100 xp (Druid Only) (on self)
“Dedicated Hunter” 75 xp (must kill it no matter what. Stabbed Jac after death, help planning farm assault)
“The thoughtful kind” 75 xp (Extra concern over the pups, Checking town defenses, Hunts for herbs at Jaconos’ farm
Misc RP: 100 cp (Let’s keep it moving people, jokingly asking about Adrastia’s ‘situation’, embarrassment, jokes about the girls)
Gone fishin’ 50 xp (thinking, planning, going, banter about it)
Banter: 100 xp (wolf pelt papoose for pyros, bacon thief, show-and-tell tracking w/pyros, ‘order of the bruised shin’, hunting talk)
Breakdown: General 860 = (430/430) + (0/100)
Subtotal: 430/530
Total: 5,662/5,182 xp (9,000/7,500 TNL)

Cross [Rivi] Male Elf Mage (3)
[Current 8,233 xp]
Cantrips 5 xp (5/ea flame cantrip)
“Food is Life!” 80 xp (cook like a chef and eat like a horse on multiple occasions. Talk about food)
“Magic in my Soul” 65 xp (Familiar scroll, offers illusion of minnows, meditative fishing, talk about magic)
Subtotal: 560 (+10% for high Int) = 616
Total: 8,849 xp (10,000 TNL)

Jerry [Chris1234] Female Half-Elf Cleric/Mage(Dweomerkeeper) (2/2) Undead Slayer kit
[Current 4,206/4,026 xp]
Cantrips 15 xp (5/ea 2/28:quick clean, hair cantrip. 2/29: cleaning tableware)
Cantrip Chantry: 15 xp (little flavor)
Magical Stone 100 xp (Cleric Only)
Protection from Evil 100 xp (Cleric Only) (on Self)
CLW 100 xp (Cleric Only) (on Artanis)
“Girl Talk”: 150 xp (w/Mira about magic, yasir, adrastia, merrick; w/Adrastia Pointed query, admittedly hunts her undead father,)
“Enterprising”: 100 xp (papermaking, arranging training, research, jeweler for talismans)
“…With Suspicious Eyes” 100 xp (suspicion of the arrogant, the shopkeep, the tavern, locals in general, Adrastia)
Banter: 60 xp (bacon summoning, Merrick about magic, w/mira, w/pyros)
Misc RP: 80 xp (must get crown to lay father to rest, Enjoying being with merrick, curious and exploring)
Breakdown: General 980 = (490/490) + (300/0)
Subtotal: 790/490 (+10% for high Int ) = 869/539
Total: 5,075/4,565 xp (7,500/5,000 TNL)

Mira [Jenara] Female Human Bard (4)
[Current 10,464]
“All that Glitters…” 30 xp (Bard 1xp/gp: 20 gp from sold gem, 10gp worth of silver)
"Girl talk": 100 xp (lots of RP with Elsa about Yas, about Ravenloft, advising jerry about magic use here, w/Allison and Sabrina)
“Let’s be Friends” 80 xp (introducing herself to Adrastia and convincing her to join them, talk of visitani, sithicus)
“Friends or Frenemies?” 60 xp (talks with Charlise about music and the suspicious nature of the party)
“Just a simple Bard” 100 xp (reaction to Old Kartakan, checking out the Hall of Song and Dance, backstory stuff, talk w/chales)
Invisibility: 50 xp (on self at Jaconos’ farm)
Magic Missile: 50 xp (25x2 vs Jaconos)
Cantrips 2/28: 5 xp (5/ea; crow signal at jaconos’)
Cantrip Chantry: 5 xp (little flavor)
“The masks we wear” 50 xp (upset over yasir, rp with Jerry about Yasir)
Performing: 100 xp (Performing for first time in a new town, thought into act, dress, songs, invitations)
Banter: 50 xp (lots w/elsa, w/ artanis, w/jerry)
Misc RP: 60 xp (w/artanis, elsa and Adrastia about food and music, haggling with Chales, with the family)
Subtotal: 1,200
Total: 11,664 xp (20,000 TNL)

Pyros [Nocturno] Male Kender “Handler”[Theif] (4)
[Current 9,697 xp]
“All that Glitters…” 60 xp (Rogue 2xp/gp: 20 gp from sold gem, 10gp worth of silver)
Roguery: 600 xp (200 each; det noise, search safe for traps, unlock door on farmhouse)
Kender Antics: 180 xp (rummaging in the attic, playing with pups, mice are nice, taunt wolf in Jaconos’ place, dress up like Jac, getting antsy)
Misc RP: 150 xp (‘collector’ (toad statues), definitely NOT from Sithicus, Thinking about Tendrow and Elsa, somber mood at inn)
“Play Time”: 50 xp (exploring, dicing ideas, blacksmith puzzle, ABC always be cutting-up!, climbing in random windows “they call to me!”)
Subtotal: 1,500 (+10% for Dex) = 1,650
Total: 11,347 xp (10,000 TNL)

”Handler” lvl 5!
Hps: [1d6]
Thac0 improves to 18
+30 rogue skill points
+1 to PPDM, PetPoly and BW saves
+2 to RSW and Spell saves
Backstab modifier improves to x3 damage!