Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Nocturno (private)

This is a Hackmaster v4 (aka AD&D 2.5E parody) game.

This campaign is currently in developmental/debug stages.

Moderator: Chris1234

Nocturno
King
King
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Nocturno (private)

Post by Nocturno »

[Do I have any currency? - never mind found that, in the pouch. Are you still good with doing the bonus/penalties for me? I will supply the rolls though when needed.]

"Check this lot out!" said to Yaren low enough to not be heard by the other group.

Alex will nonchalantly make his way up to the pair in the back, trying to make it look like he isn't rushing to catch up to them, but just setting a better pace than the large group.

If they seem non-agressive he will try to chat them up a bit.

"Hey fellows, seems like you all are having a good morning!"

If they go to attack or seem extra aggressive he will have a Shocking Grasp ready for the closest.(Will roll when needed)

If they just seem unfriendly uninterested in chatter, he will flat out as if the folks are for sale.

"How much for this lovely family?"
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Alex says,"Check this lot out!" to Yaren who relies, "Might be legal, but doesn't mean I have to like it. Especially the defenseless, falsely taken just to be sold on the block. I'll cover you." The elf nips silently away to blend into into the forest's edge, maybe some 30 yards from the trail.

Alex sets a better pace than the large group, nonchalantly catching up to the pair in the back. He does hurry his pace a little bit to try and make contact before the forest ahead thins out even more. The group ahead seem oblivious to his approach, with the pair at the back trying to coax their pet giant rats to fight each other. Raising his voice a bit, Alex greets, ""Hey fellows, seems like you all are having a good morning!"

The group pause, Alex all the while closing the gap as the three huddle and grunt in a harsh in a language unknown to Alex. Getting slower, it's clear that the four in single file are shackled together. {OOC1: Observation skill check, please, for extra detail. Bonus 40%, so Alex's base skill (45%) is effectively 85%. Opportunist Talent gives the PC a 5% bonus (in his favour) to all d100 rolls. Great Honour gives a PC a bonus of 1 (in his favour) to all rolls after all other adjustments.}

Up close (15' away), Alex sees that the three huddled humanoids, all about 6' tall and broad of shoulder, have blue noses and all-yellow eyes and teeth. They wear light amour, leather and metal plates, clearly well kept.
{OOC2: Int check to recognize the humanoids. Lucky d20 Talent gives the PC a 1 bonus (in his favour) to all d20 rolls. Great Honour gives a PC a bonus of 1 (in his favour) to all rolls after all other adjustments.}

After their brief huddle, one of the slavers steps forward to reply in halting Focuran, {OOC3: aka Common}, "It is. Morning. What you wants?"

When the Battlemage continues with, "How much for this lovely family?" their speaker doesn't understand until the matter is clarified with same mime, jingling of beltpouch and pointing. He replies, "How much you got?" with the universal rubbing together of thumb and fingers to indicate money.

======
Be aware of your Quirks and Flaws. The only ones which really require roleplay are: Glutton, Inappropriate Sense of Humour, Obsession: Goatee, Truthful.
Playing these well can give small xp &/or Honour Bonuses. Neglecting them can do the opposite.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"7000 coppers at rough estimate." He will look over the folks.

"They look in pretty rough shape though." he will rub his goatee. Making his missing finger very apparent. [Does this make any of them cringe or act uncomfortable? If it does he will move closer to them]

"What is the market bearing for a family at this point?"
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Speaker say, "Five," as his finger points to the man. "Five," he repeats as he point at each of them. "All, twenty."
At least it would appear he can count. Just as you think the family is cheap at 20 cps, he adds, "Gold!"
AT this point there's a disturbance from behind him; a harsh sounding conversation that Alex doesn't understand. But he does follow the collective gaze ro a 71 tall scaly humanoid with a long, strong tail, as it strides over the mound leading down to the beach.
The woman prisoner screams," The lizard's going to eat us. Save my children!" and the man shouts, "We're victims, just travelers these creatures enslaved!" Both a rewarded with a visciois punch from thir captors.

The lizard man is about 60 yards away.

What next?

=======
As you didn't make the Observation&Int rolls, I can't give you the additional information.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

[Ok, apparently I didn't hit submit last night...]

[Shocking Grasp, are we using the 2E spell? I looked through a Hackmaster and only shaw Shocking Touch, I think it was called.]
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

If you have a look under \And So It Goes On\Spells I've typed up about 120 spells. This is included. :)
You mght also benefit from reading the section on Battlemage, under \And So It Goes On\Classes

Would you also make a copy of the character sheet (that I posted in this thread on Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:17 am) and edit it into your first post in this thread, i.e.:
Nocturno wrote:I hope it's Tuna dontcha know.
posted on Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:18 am

We can use this to allow you to maintain and control your char sheet., including updates for Temporal Honour, Actual Honour, xp and so forth.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Will do.

I'm being one of those players I roll my eyes at lol...

"Didn't you read that..." lol
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"Why did you have to do that?!?" Alex will say with exaggeration and annoyance.

He will rush the closest opponent and cast shocking grasp, trying to harm the man.

Shocking Grasp: [1d10] = 6 [1d20] = 10 [1d8] = 3

[OoC: I'm assuming he won't let me touch him, so that is the initiative and hit are for.]
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

======
OOC: As you've told me you haven't actually read stuff, I'm going to give you a chance to modify the above if you wish:

At the risk of a bit more eye-rolling, :) you may wish to consider that:
1) spell casting is announced before initiative and a character can't move and then cast a spell in the same round. (OK the Mobile Caster Talent allows this but Alex doesn't have it).
2) casting a spell is the end of the character's turn, i.e. she can't move. (Although I house rule it that you can start to get out a weapon, item or spell component for the remainder of the round starting at the end of 5 segmenats from when the spell went off.)
3) when a spell has been cast, for 5 segments after the spell goes off, the character get's no AC bonus from either DEX or Acrobatic Skill Talent.
4) look at how many HP you have as a L1 Battlemage. Be aware that NPCs & mionsters also have a 20HP 'kicker'. so an average orc (1HD) will start with 24 or 25 HP.

In view of the above, I recommend you have a very good read of the unique Battlemage ability called "Spell Prepping".
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Yeah ok the prepping makes more sense now. I need to read the combat chapter apparently. Im going to mulligan the round for sure.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Ok, this is no where near close to 2E, as I assumed it be for some reason.

I'm going to have to block off some time before I start doing more complicated things like combat.

So I'm going to put this guy on hold for a couple days.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Sure, no probs.
That's pretty much the purpose of these solo threads - for familiarization with the differences. I'm happy to try and help. You have ended up with one of the most complicated classes in terms of rules (but potentially most effective in terms of capability and impact).

For example, and making this as complicated as i can to show the BM's capability, Alex might try:

======
"I'll check my money, just a moment," says Alex turning three quarters away from the Hobgoblins. He casts Sleep Grasp as quietly as he can using his cloak for cover and then gets out his money pouch.
The first hobgoblin says "What you say?" Neither of the others turn a hair.
After a brief pause, Alex plays for time as he turns to the hobgoblins, saying "Did you say something?" and approaches the hobgoblins holding and jingling his money pouch in front of him while keeping the tiny glowing ball of spell power out of sight under his cloak.
Unaware, the nearest hobgoblin's eyes latch onto the money pouch and his ears swivel round in the direction of the coinage jingling, distracted as Alex closes the gap.
Standing in front of the hobgoblin, Alex drops the money pouch on the ground and pull his spell-light from under his cloak, flicking it to the back of the group so that he won't be caught in its area of effect.
The slaves and the 2 rear slavers all drop to the ground.
The lizardman is now about 15' away, and equally surprised.
Alex takes the chance to cast his remaining Sleep, knowing hat the lizardman is a formidable foe, who drops.
As his bow is readied, Yaren gets off two arrows (off segments of surprise), both hitting the remaining hobgoblin for 12HP dam.
Meanwhile Yaren has taken his cue, having seen Alex's 'using the cloak as cover' routine many times before, and sinks two arrows into the remaining upright hobgoblin.

Round 1
What next? (Plus appropriate rolls)
======
Alex makes a Sleight of Hand skill check to get out spell components unnoticed, 22%(base)+20%(average)=42%. d100=02! Critical success and below 'Chance to Improve skill'. [If you don't know what that means, tell me and I will explain.
Nearest hobgoblin has 15%(base)+40%(easy)=55% chance to hear noise but only 10%(base)+20%(average)=30% chance to hear it clearly enough to recognize it as probably some sort of spell.
d100=53%. Only 15% & 10% respectively for the other pair of foes: d100=20%, d100=80%
Initiative: (Tracking time in case melee kicks off and for tracking Spell Prep): no roll for spell casting, so 0+1(1d4 segments for spell components, less 4(Dex)-1GH, but 1 min)+1(spell CT), so spell goes off on 2. 'Holding the charge'. After a further 5 segments (spell casting recovery time) = segment 7, Alex gets out his money pouch, +5 segments (moving an item)=12, overflows to 2 next round.
Nearest hobgoblin makes a Wis check to see if he realizes Alex is doing something untoward. d20:13, TN 9, fail.
Alex closes the gap in 3 segments, so round 2, segment 5 of Spell Prep count down (2 max).
Sleep affect 2d4HD of creatures, so 2d4+2(GH)=2+3+(2)=7, ½(child) +½(child) +1(man) +1(woman) +2(hobgoblin) +2(hobgoblin)=7, no save.
The remaining hobgoblin is unaware and my be surprised: TN4 or higher, 1d10-2(Alex's Stealth Talent)=5-2=3(surprised). Alex can't be surprised, but needs to check to see how long the foe is surprised, 1d10+1(GH)=5+1=6, so 6-3=3 segments of surprise.
Lizardman surprise roll 1d10-2(Alex's Stealth Talent)=4-2=2(surprised), so 6-2=4 segments of surprise.
Sleep spell components are out is 1 segment, spel cast on segment to of surprise. That's the end of Alex's surprise, but he has no Dex reaction bonus for another 5 segements (-1 for last segment of surprise)=until segment 4 next round.
Sleep affect 2d4HD of creatures, so 2d4+2(GH)=1+1+(2)=4, which is enough to drop the lizardman.
Note: Shocking Grasp has no material components.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Ok, I thought I could make some time to learn atleast my class and combat. But with the games Im in I am finding I hardly have the brainpower after the kids to go to bed to post in a system I understand.

I didn't want to leave you hanging. I don't think I will be able to get up to snuff on this system in the near future.

I appreciate you putting up with me this far.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

It's not problem at all. Sure you got to pull out?
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Well I don't see me getting time to really get into this.

If it was just another 2E game I could jump in no problem.

But I need to get into the rule book and check this out.

It probably isn't even the time, its the brainpower, after work, and feeding and getting the kids to bed, my brain is baked.

So yeah, pulling out for now. These different rules sound great. Like fans of D&D tried to make it better or more interesting/real(With magic of course) but that adds complexity.