Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH. 13: Consequences

This 2E Dragonlance game is set in the city of Haven, during the War of the Lance. Haven is a city undergoing great upheaval. First massive numbers of refugees pour in, then the city is conquered by a draconic army. Can our heroes survive under this dark occupation?

Moderator: JadedDM

HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH. 13: Consequences

Post by HorizonsDream »

"No, I suppose not," Kendra admits. "But even during these times, I think it is important to find some happiness."
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

"I'm Haahqae, I wish to speak to the high priestess."
Veni Vidi Vici
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Haahqae (Temple of Takhisis)
"Follow the blue lights," the guard tells him. He opens the door, letting Haahqae in and then shuts it behind him. Again, the gnome finds himself in total darkness--save for a trail of blue light candles leading him to the high priestess' office. "Good luck," the cleric tells him, disappearing into the darkness.

Like the last time he was here, Haahqae feels a powerful presence in the temple. Something otherworldly, watching and judging him. He follows the candles to the end, where he finds the high priestess sitting at her desk expectantly, her cowl pulled low so that he still cannot see her face. She says nothing, but simply waits for him to say his piece.

Kendra Greylock (2527 Market Street, Greylock's Gorgeous Gems)
Sadron shakes his head. "I never could have been happy marrying someone else. I'd rather be alone than with another woman."
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

Approaching the desk to be within easy communication range without being intrusive, Haahqae bows low in one of his overly expressive bows before speaking.

"As I was about my business today I noticed a procession where your bounty hunters had captured a no good scallywag rogue, and while I commend them for their success, I come with a cautionary tale that should be told to those who employ them.

Of the group, I have worked with all four of them on different occasions. Xleena and Yvette were under my employ as I was sent to weed out the heretical Belzorites. Burzan and Reana were part of a group which was tasked with slaying a local giant before the dragon queen liberated this city."

Haahqae will then go on to tell his two tales of his exploits with the mentioned mercenaries, telling nothing but the truth, however leaving out details he would rather not impart, such as his spell-casting ability. He will make sure to stress that Xleena and Yvette's betrayal left the group too weak to eradicate the belzorites, allowing the heretics to flee and hide, and caused the mission to fail as a result. With Reana and Burzan he will stress that the two of them were loyal to Darewind and his hokey religion, and hired as zealots to do Darewind's dirty deeds.
Veni Vidi Vici
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Grubnick walks numbly up to his room, mind still a-whirl with the ramifications of the day. Locking himself inside, he sits. The pain of his fresh wounds draws him from his stupor somewhat, and he silently curses himself. Idiot... walk through the whole burning city with sword-wounds why don't you... He fumbles out his bandages with frustration and pain. He patches up the visible ones, mind rolling onward... what could he have done differently... maybe he could have asked the Gnome for help... or Arulia... if he had been more aware, perhaps he could...

He shook his head, trying to shove away that line of thinking. It wouldn't help to dwell on the past, and he needed to make plans... but he needed information... he wondered vaguely if Ismene was being kept at the temple... or the jail... maybe Haahque had already researched a way to break in... he could try to get Delharn out... if... if they didn't... Silently he bowed his head, uncertain what to say, or how. Sirrion... he began, but words failed him almost immediately. He had no idea what to say... what to confess or ask for or... or... Delharn would know... he thought grimly, almost chuckling. He always said I overthought things... It was true, Delharn followed Sirrion closely; with passion and fervor... Grubnick had the same passion, the same fire... but his was tempered by thoughtfulness... not exactly what Sirrion was known for... Suddenly it came to him, and he knew what he should say. It burned him to the core not to ask for Delharn's safety first, but he knew all other things were secondary. Help me know your will, Sirrion, and do it with passion... If it be your will, let Delharn survive this as a faithful servant of yours that he might do more in your service. As he finished his prayer, he prayed also for healing, leaving the bloodied bandages in place so they would hopefully avert suspicion.

====
Grubnick Casts Cure Moderate Wounds on himself.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"...Really?" Kendra asks in surprise. "I'm...I'm not really anything special, Sadron. To be honest, I'm not even sure why you took an interest in me to begin with. "
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Haahqae (Temple of Takhisis)
"I've spoken to all four of them in the past. Raena was never loyal to Darewind, only to the money he paid her. She is now loyal to me, as I am the one holding her purse strings. As for Burzan, while he was a follower of Darewind, after he saw the charlatan destroyed by Dragon Highlord Verminaard, he has since become a true believer of the Dragon Queen. Indeed, it was his idea to set this trap. He is one of the most devoted followers we have now," the high priestess says.

"As for the other two, they already told me about how they swindled you." She smiles darkly. "The Dragon Queen rewards ruthlessness and ambition, not whining. As for the failure of killing the so-called Belzor, I place that onus upon you. You were the leader of that group, you were the one who hired them--according to your own words. Thus the responsibility fell on you, not them. Besides, they have made some generous donations to the church, so I am inclined to overlook their indiscretions."

She adds, "And all four of them have succeeded in their mission to capture the rogue cleric. Meanwhile, all you offer are excuses and complaints. Did you believe running here to tattle on them would endear yourself to me?" She scoffs. "The Dragon Queen does not abide such weakness. If you wish to prove yourself to Her, I suggest you capture a cleric on your own." She gestures toward the trail of candles. "I am sure you can find your way back out."

"Not special? Nonsense, I say! You are incredibly special, Kendra," Sadron argues. "Although I admit, I didn't see it at first. When we first met, I was mostly just amused. I hadn't really thought about humans much...you all seemed so...well, childish, I suppose. I mean, you all are quite young. Watching you struggle to wield a sword amused me. I guess...I wanted to prove my elven superiority, which is why I offered to teach you. I never expected I'd fall in love with you...but once I got to know you, I couldn't help but admire your strength and your sense of duty and honor.

"Not to mention your determination! I suspected you'd give up on swordplay within a week, but you never wavered. You kept at it, no matter how difficult I made things for you. Over time, I came to envy you. I felt so...rudderless in my life. No direction at all. But you were so focused, so determined. Then I grew to admire you, then adore you...and finally, love you." He reaches across the table and takes her hand and looks her in the eyes. "Before I knew it, I couldn't imagine life without you."

Grubnick (High Hand Inn)
Grubnick bandaged himself up the best he could, then cast a healing spell which at least removed his burn. The burn he had received from protecting Delharn. He called to Sirrion for help, but the fickle god did not answer. Was this part of Sirrion's plan? Did Sirrion even have a plan? What was Grubnick to do now? He had made no progress in his goal to tear down the city's tyranny. And now he had lost his mentor, too. Did he have any hope of success on his own? No, surely he would need allies. Other people who hated the Dragon Queen as much as he did. But would they be willing to stand up to her after that massive display of power? And did he have the charisma and force of personality to persuade them to do so?

=============

Grubnick casts Cure Moderate Wounds on himself, restoring (1d10+1): 3+1 = 4 HP.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Kendra was never one for words. She certainly didn't have the ability to make someone go weak at the knees the way Sadron made her feel just now. She looks down at their hands for a few moments before she stands up. She walks around the table, and pulls him up from his chair before she pulls him into a hug. "I seem like a hard person to live up to."
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

"I was merely ensuring that you knew of their misdeeds before deciding to trust them. I am to take it that working against the church is forgivable if it is ruthless and I offer a sizable donation to compensate? Thank you high priestess, this conversation has been quite informative." Haahqae would love to stick a dagger in her back, burn down the temple and tear apart the city to find Ismene around now, but such things are far beyond his current capabilities, so instead Haahqae bows again and takes his leave.

With little time left before curfew and no intention on wasting his potion to get home tonight, Haahqae makes his way back to his room to think over his next actions.

Today was yet another astounding failure. Promising allies turned out to be useless failures. A job which might have paid something ended up not even happening and an engagement with the dragon-army ended without any progress at all towards his goals. Was there any chance of him freeing Ismene, or should he just turn himself in and be done with it? Maybe, just maybe if he did that some blockhead might get the idea that they attacked the wrong gnome.
Veni Vidi Vici
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Haahqae (Steel Tankard Inn)
Haahqae decides to sass the high priestess of Takhisis, not foreseeing any consequences to such an act, then heads back to the Tankard.

He reflected over the day's events and considered his options. He could try turning himself in, but doing so offered no guarantee they would release Ismene if he did so. They may well decide to lock up both gnomes, just to be sure. The Dragonarmy obviously didn't believe in things like a fair trial, as evidenced by the fact that they just lock up people on suspicion alone.

He needed to find a way to free her, but he didn't even know where she is being held. Even if he did, and even if he freed her, where could they go that would be safe? There were so many questions to be answered, and if he wanted to make any progress in his goals, it seemed logical that he would first need to find answers to those questions.

Sadron returns the hug, a bit puzzled by her behavior. "What do you mean?" he asks. "I don't understand. I didn't upset you, did I?"
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"No, I'm not upset," Kendra assures him. "I guess the way I view myself is just a little different than how you view me," she explains as she pulls back a little bit from the hug.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Grubnick will use another cure spell (CLW)
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Sadron gently places his hand on her cheek and caresses it with his thumb. "Perhaps you should start looking at yourself through the eyes of others now and again," he says with a warm smile.

Grubnick (High Hand Inn)
Grubnick uses another minor healing spell on himself. The sword wound he took--the only one the baaz managed to land on him--closes up half-way.

=============

Grubnick casts Cure Light Wounds on himself, restoring (1d8): 4 HP. His condition improves to moderately wounded.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Easier said than done," Kendra says softly as she leans her head into his touch. She was in a situation where she knew she should say no, but she didn't want to say no. She couldn't remember the last time she did something for herself.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Sadron stares into her eyes and slowly starts to move his mouth toward hers, tilting his head slightly as he does.