Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Non-DND rpgs.

A place to leave general messages and, of course, a link to the main site. The Planet
Forum rules
All messages should be kept clean; religious and political comments will be deleted straight away.

This forum is for players registered in games on this site only.

See The Planet for more details and the main site.
spyguy1503
Lord
Lord
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Non-DND rpgs.

Post by spyguy1503 »

So, what are everyone's opinions on non-DND RPGs? The proposed Horror game died. In all my time here, I have seen two games actually run non-DND. Jaded's Dragon Age game, and my Mutants and Masterminds game. Is there any interest in other games? What other RPGs have you played/ would you want to try?
Characters:
Current:
LSO: Gallath, Elf Thief- SendHelp
WotL:Ne-Chanz, Minotaur Fighter- Casual Murder
Demiplane:Cal Lightfoot, Gnome Thief/Illusionist (Improv Kit)- Chilling
AD:LitC: Jacen Terro, Half-Elf fighter- HOLD
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Re: Non-DND rpgs.

Post by Jenara »

The horror one? You mean my one?

Just didn't have the time to devote to it... still want to do it, just need to find the time.

We do need to expand beyond DnD but its a place of safety isn't it? It's known.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

I'm trying to get a Hackmaster game on the go.. but it's taking forever
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Hackmaster is just a derivative of D&D, like Pathfinder or Castles and Crusades or Labyrinth Lord, though. It's still D&D, just with enough tweaks not to cause lawsuits.

But the thing is, spyguy, is that D&D is the most popular tabletop game there is, more than anything else. That's just the way it is, I guess. Keep in mind, even in my Dragon Age game, I only just barely scraped together three players for it.

Also, the fact that the site is called 'Planet AD&D' probably discourages a lot of people who are into non-D&D games from even signing up in the first place. Not much that can be done about that, though.

I've thought about running some non-D&D games before. Aside from Dragon Age, I considered once running a Fallout game, a Stargate game, an All Flesh Must Be Eaten game, and a Star Trek game. But it's hard to find players for the less popular stuff. Heck, it's hard to find players to even run the less popular settings of D&D (gave up hope long ago I'd ever find a Spelljammer game).

And it usually costs a ton of money to get all the books you need to run a single game--and then what if you turn out to not like it? Dragon Age at least had a free version online that had some (but not all) of the rules so you could play a sample adventure. I wish more games did stuff like that.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

I'd be in for spelljammer if I had the time.

Jaded's point about availability of materials is a very good one (in addition to his other points). Old versions are sometimes available on-the-cheap or even occasionally free (like 2e d&d on purple worm) but that is certainly the rarity. Hackmaster 5 has a 'basic rules' free download, but the game currently climbing to its feet is a 4e game anyway, the M&M game appealed to me particularly from the superhero perspective. Aside from that and d&d there aren't many genres i'd be interested in playing... maybe a spy-game... no pun intended
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Spelljammer is so much fun. Wish we all had the time for that....
The game I'd like to run is a Scf-Fi one... Stars Without Number, Traveller or Palladium.. With the players we have that would be fun
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
spyguy1503
Lord
Lord

Post by spyguy1503 »

Yeah, I would happily make time for a Sci-Fi game. Things I learned from M&M: It's really, really hard not to rip off Marvel or DC.
Characters:
Current:
LSO: Gallath, Elf Thief- SendHelp
WotL:Ne-Chanz, Minotaur Fighter- Casual Murder
Demiplane:Cal Lightfoot, Gnome Thief/Illusionist (Improv Kit)- Chilling
AD:LitC: Jacen Terro, Half-Elf fighter- HOLD