Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Part I: Spy Games (Karlene Blackcloud intro)

Spike's homebrew 1st edition AD&D world.

Moderator: spike

spike
Marshall
Marshall
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Part I: Spy Games (Karlene Blackcloud intro)

Post by spike »

KARLENE BLACKCLOUD opened her eyes to a piercing headache as the sun pierces her into an awaken state. She was not in her luxurious bed chambers back in Corealus, with her favorite maidservant to bring her a sumptuous meal of bread, cheese, salted pork, or other delicacies. Instead she was in the back wagon of a wine merchant who had lengthy dialogue with himself, talking about the olden times, 'better times', when taxes were lower and wages were higher, and loss of profits. 'Those damned Succundus cunts, always outdoing me in the winery business. If I could somehow steal their secret recipe for wine making I'd be far richer than I am today' he said, laughing. 'That foul no good Duke and his cronies, I'll show him!'

Of course he was mentioning the Lord Duke Commander's house speciality, the wine making business. At first, before his ascension beer, ale, and other similar spirits were preferred. Now it was wine, and everyone went mad for it, especially his elvish wine which made him insanely rich. Little wonder the queen fancies him, everything he touched seemed to turn to gold.

'Keep yer wits about ye, girl, there's been talk of strange happenings throughout the land. Even in these well patrolled areas, that's why I keep this handy' *shows you his crossbow*. Cutting through some beautiful terrain, the merchant's wagon eventually arrives at the Boarshead Inn up ahead, it seemed so peaceful and tranquil, a small whisp of smoke rose up from its chimney.

Somehow you found yourself smelling the mans skin from a distance, which struck you as curious. You had similar experiences with the previous blackouts, overcome as if possessed by something within. An inhuman hunger which filled you with agony. You realized you were being followed from a distance by a pack of wolves.

wine merchant: 'damned horses, nervous bout something. Never seen em get so worked up. Well we're here, young lady. Have a care, this Inn attracts many types o' scum, even more you'd find in Old City back in Lor. As we agreed, free passage if you bring this barrel o' wine to the Innkeeper. I've a bad back, and long journey ahead. Also, see if you can find me some cheap down on their luck mercenaries inside. One's who don't look like they won't go shit their pants at the sight of a bloody orc if you would deary. Offer em five gold a head. Come, your supper is on me'
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Re: Part I: Spy Games (Karlene Blackcloud intro)

Post by Chris1234 »

Karlene goes and thumps on the door, shouts, "Delivery," and then hefts the barrel, if heft-able; otherwise she rolls it.
When the door opens she heads inside, delivers the wine, "From the wine merchant", and looks around, sizing up 'likely mercenaries'.
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

continued in 'fire and ash'
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Ok, thx. Will wait til I see Karlene referenced in "Fire & Ash".
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

you should see it now. When Karlene walks in a brunette warrior woman throws a dagger into the barrel you were rolling.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Yes, the man and woman are real. He doesn't notice Karlene since she's invisible (you can consider your character invisible and silent as she wears the elven garb.) He is armed with a chain-whip that ends in a scythe-type blade and if you had to guess his class you would say either a mage, priest or both.

The woman then broke free of his grasp, that's when you see a little bat-winged infernal creature materialize on the mans shoulder and fly-ram the girl down until she falls, all the while the little infernal being laughs in an annoying way that is most irritating. The girl is crying profusely and the man stood before her with a wide grin.

Sarancen, Whisper, and the slave girl is in the bed chamber and Lucien and Azonia are with you.

You hear a voice enter your mind, it was the same as the celestial that appeared before you earlier: This is the architect, he is the one who has caused great strife and mischief to you and your brother. He is a renegade of your order, and has taken all of his sacred secrets to further his own lustful want of power and wealth. You and your companions must destroy him for his blasphemy and apostasy.

Housekeeping details:
1) Karlane's tucked away the gems from the desk and moved the paperwork and bag of platinum pieces from Sarancen to her backpack. (Division can come later). How many pps were there?
2) After the CLW was done on the damaged girl (that came out of the wardrobe), did she still seem damaged?
3) The gem (? 'stargem' ?), that allows re-programable fixed point teleportation, was, if currently possible, fitted into Karlane's mace. If it flames all the time and would defeat her Cloak of Elvenkind, then she removes the gem.
4) Does the gem that was inside it before seem similar? i.e. does she now have two 'stargems'?
5) How much do half-vampire's need to sleep?

While the abuse is going on, Karlane takes the time to study her target (as instructed by the spectral Grandfather of Assassins).
The priestess and moves while the winged creature is doing the repeated fly-ram attacks on the girl,so that it's attention is taken (and therefore less likely to spot invisible).
She goes for a rear {OOC1: +4 to hit} assassination attack, possibly base of the skull. Perhaps his preocupation and presumed enjoyment of the poor girl in front will make him more liable to surprise {OOC2: penalty to his surprise roll}
After her attack reveals her position, she calls, "Lucien, the flier, please."

{OOC3: If she gains surprise, Karlane would have two attacks on the second segment of surprise as the mace is her favoured weapon}
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

Housekeeping details:
1) Karlane's tucked away the gems from the desk and moved the paperwork and bag of platinum pieces from Sarancen to her backpack. (Division can come later). How many pps were there? 350 pp

2) After the CLW was done on the damaged girl (that came out of the wardrobe), did she still seem damaged?
No, the healing spell removed the cuts, scrapes, and bruises from her entirely.

3) The gem (? 'stargem' ?), that allows re-programable fixed point teleportation, was, if currently possible, fitted into Karlane's mace. If it flames all the time and would defeat her Cloak of Elvenkind, then she removes the gem.
It does not emit this white flame continually, only A: when the mace is in full swing and it strikes, or it is held on high and mentally willed to emit flame as a demonstration of power.

4) Does the gem that was inside it before seem similar? i.e. does she now have two 'stargems'? Yes, they are identical.

5) How much do half-vampire's need to sleep? 4-6 hours every 2 days would be like 8 hours of quality sleep for human/elf/demi-humans. Should be noted that you also heal as a person would (1-2 hp) from full rest.

NEW: the masked one was overcome by lust and began having the woman right then and there, emitting spasms of ecstasy as he pleasured himself, 'you like that, don't you you filthy slut!' he croaked. Meanwhile Karlene slipped past him undetected, silent and invisible.

After studying him for the appropriate time, she bashes the man with her mace in a horrific blow to the base of his skull (-24 hp blunt damage) the mace consumed with white fire lending its pure flame to the devastating attack. He collapsed in an impotent groan and fell atop of the slave girl he was lustfully ravaging. The girl was crying profusely and squirmed away.

The small bat-winged fiend, with the head resembling a dog fluttered down to the mans limp form and appeared to tear his soul out of him, giggling maniacally it vanished in a puff of black, greasy smoke. The limp man's body exploded into a pile of roaches that skittered away.

All that remained was his chain-weapon, robes, and an ordinary dagger. Then something metallic clang to the ground beneath his robes. It looked like a black metal glove with a metal sling-bullet attached to each finger.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

{OOC: Claiming single combat on that one, if possible. Triple class eats the xp}.

Karlane smiles in satisfaction, thinking ~That's for turning your back on My Lady. And for the shit you've piled onto my brother, too.~
While she pulls a large sack out of the sidepocket of her backpack, she says, "Don't be scared, girl. In Lor's name you are safe while with me. Now, calmly please, what's your name? And are you harmed beyond what the filth just did to you?"
While listening to the girl's reply, the priestess puts away her mace and uses a dagger to tease the architect's chain-weapon, robes, ordinary-looking dagger & black metal glove (metal sling-bullet attached to each finger) into the sack for dealing with when she has regained her spells. When done, she uses a leather tie-strip to secure the top of the sack and then proceeds to try and examine the girl for damage beyond the odd scrape; wounds that won't recover after a good night's rest.
To the girl she adds, "I didn't see your attacker when I entered. Was he just hidden in the shadow? How did you get here? And what do you know about this place?"
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

The girl calmed herself and ceased crying, then she said 'Heaven must have sent you here to liberate us from this God's forsaken hell!' she wasn't harmed or damaged, then continued 'he appeared in a bright white light right there, where that white sphere of light is hovering. He came once or twice each week to snatch a random girl, he didn't seem to care which. Sometimes he would rape them right in front of us and laugh, as if it gave him immense pleasure to demonstrate his complete mastery over us. It could be any here: old women, young girls, even young boys. He was a sexual deviant, that scum' she paused and thought for a moment, racking her brains 'Ah, a unit of black guards brought us from the farm, that's where they weed out the 'special girls from the undesired rabble, namely us here. From here they take many to castle gray and then they're never heard from again.'

Another prisoner, an older man yet with sharp alertness in his eyes says 'That's where these masked devils send their prisoners to be experimented on by their wizards, to be turned into something useful. Most here are held here to be ransomed to our families, when the families are contacted and meet at the agreed upon secret designated rendezvous point, these masked scum get the ransom and then kidnap the family members to tripple their profits. I know because I was the one who came to pay to have my brother and sister freed. They freed them by spearing them both to death as if it were a fun game'

Azonia: "You will all be avenged for your troubles' she declared, 'This I swear to you as an Elsmyrian' she took a keyring on the wall with her sword and unlocked several cells easily, giving rations to some of them who were obviously starving, 'Go and assail the store room if there is one at the end of these passages'

The older man said 'be praised, blessed child, you did a great thing here this day, and your efforts are not in vain. Each of us here is a prosperous merchant or shoppe keeper, either in Targos, Harby, or Higkor it matters not Yet you will receive our generosity as reward for yours, mark my words lass!'
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Before they can leave, Karlane instructs, "The remaining Tridents now do as I instruct. You are to assemble with them. Keep together and use my name. If any of you, or they, deviate from this, there will be a reckoning."
She turns to Azonia, "It's unsafe, for them, to be randomly wandering around. We will take care of that in an hour or so. While it's right to release them, doing so in an uncontrolled manner is not the right way. I would take it as a personal favour if next time you do me the courtesy of consulting with me first."

She pauses, running through the Stargems's locations & passwords: Castle gray (Isovray), Salt Bogs (Telnersia), Stiuk safehouse (Gwaydon), and a the dungeon location, wardreobe location and a password 'Zifmia'. It seemed to make sense that the password defined the destination, so presumably the dungeon location's password was 'Zifmia' and that for the wardrobe was unknown. {OOC: Correct?}

"Right, now we look for the treasure or items that the Trident said was down here. Keep your eyes open, especially for secret doors. Traps too," Karlane stated to Azonia and Lucien, adding, "Lucien did you pick up anything form their leader as to what the password might be to teleport to the wardrobe in his bedroom? Or any codes he uses in writing? Or whereabouts he kept treasure down here?"

She continued looking round the room, hoping her 'Find Traps' spell would show the traps located to guard the leader's treasure stash(es).
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

Azonia said 'I'll take it into consideration, we Elsmyrians do not take to being bossed about thusly until you've garnered our respect and proven your worthiness' she said, adding 'and as we've only known one another for a very short time, that will require a bit of patience on your end'

There didn't appear to be any further traps or treasures except some stolen spoons and silverware the prisoners had stashed away. You did find a wine cellar nearby, and in one bottle you noticed a map was stashed into it. You only decided to peer at it because you could smell the sweaty odor of Scarn all over this particular bottle, it reeked of his smell.

Additionally, 25 bottles of rare and exquisite vintage, and four barrels of brandy.

You found a secret door behind a wall full of empty wine bottles. Behind the secret door was a hidden study, several books and a cabinet full of scrolls. Two of the scrolls has clerical spells on them:

Voice
3rd level cleric spell
components: swallow a thimbfull of olive oil, holy symbol
description: you cause your voice to increase and modulate in a throaty, powerful, augmented fashion. Any within hearing range must make a save vs. spells or comply to a specific demand. This could be a simple request such as sitting down, laying down, or doing something against their will. However it can be broken on a WIS check at 1/2 after a successful save vs. spells is achieved. If aimed at a single target that being must save with a -5 penalty to their roll.

Winged Mount
2nd level cleric spell
components: griffon/hippogriff feather
description: the cleric summons a winged flying beast to themself which takes 1-4 rounds to arrive, appears in a shimmering blinding light. In flies a winged avian that will also fight to protect the cleric. This can be anything from a Hippogriff , Giant Bat, Giant Hawk, to a Giant Owl, Bee, Mosquito, or a lesser dragon. Though it will fight to protect you, it will not willingly do suicidal acts of heroic bravery in order to do so.

Portal Trace
1st level cleric spell
components: a needle compass
description: once cast on a gate or a magic portal, it will reveal the location of the last users of this portal went to, also revealing the number of persons and slivers of conversation including activation passwords.

Lucien: Aye, the architect had the word Biffmizria he had on the tip of his tongue. He was preparing to go to Scarn's bed chamber after his romp with this woman I believe. That man was a former archivist, you might have learned a great deal of worthy knowledge if you hadn't eliminated him so hastily.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"Help me with these, would you please, Azonia?" Karlane asks as she starts to carefully move the 25 bottles of vintage wine into the study.
While they move them, she adds, "Well, whether I need order because of my training or my training was shaped by the way I am, I cannot say. And you are asyou are also. I will endeavor to meet you somewhere in the middle. How's that sound?" She smiled encouragingly at Azonia, hoping that their relationship wasn't so brittle.

Before trying to carefully extract the map from the bottle, Karlane looks at and smells it for any contact poison and then casts 2.Augury, asking 'will it be for the good for both map and me if I try to extract it now from the bottle?' {OOC1: Map of??}

She carefully tucks the scrolls away inside her backpack side-pocket. {OOC2: If Karlane studies Portal Trace on the scroll for a short while and then casts it, would she be able to add it to her repertoire of divine spells (Photographic Memory)? }

While sorting out the scrolls, the priestess replies to Lucien, "Yes, you're right, Lucien. I had not figured on your training being so effective in such a short time. I thought it needed a month. Honestly, I expected him capable of destructive magics and could not afford to take chances. Had he been rendered helpless, I would have questioned him later. Did you learn more from him?"

Unless they have in mind more to do down here, or there are rooms or areas as yet unexplored, Karlane leads them back to the bedroom. En route she says, "Lucien, I understand that I still need a month of training to solidify the technique you have shown me but on the morrow I must leave here and, as I understand it, you may not. I can manage on less sleep than most," glancing at Azonia, "Perhaps I could reprogram the teleport wardrobe and visit with you here at nights for training. How does that sound?"
{OOC3: How far is it from the assassin's den to each of Targos, Harby, or Higkor ? And how safe are the roads likely to be in each case?}
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

Augury: you see the symbol of 'weal' briefly emblazoned above the bottle containing the map and feel a sense of 'no harm' overcome you. There is no contact poison. It looks like a map of some ruins, the title on the bottom reads 'Dwemer excavation site, SE of Ironholme at the base of Griffon's Eyrie, just above Hooknose Crag.

A few scraps of notes furled up with the map.

First reads: Scrag, this is the location we discovered, said to be the only place the suit can be successfully crafted. The special ore is here en masse, a kingly prize indeed. Sadly there are corrupted shades that dwell there, on order of Lomag who has established his shrine for his secret works against those detestable Dwarves. He will only permit us use of the arcane forge if we agree to provide him with excess slaves.

2nd: Scrag,you now have the full original plans of those witless Lorians, the architect will oversee this special operation and you are to extend to him every resource and courtesy you can, or I will flay you personally. - The Artiste

3rd: Scrag, I have analyzed the plans, they were to a secret weapon my previous order was trying to construct and shield from detection. However, the entire team of engineers and designers were slaughtered through unknown means of death. We believe it to be our own leader, he the an Engineer is he not?

Azonia nodded solemnly, 'so be it, priestess, just remember I am a warmaid of renown and deep pride, who does not kowtow to the faith. I have been leery and wronged by many a cleric or wizard in the past who have done scant but malign others with their fell spells...but you seem different so I'll make this exception to my rule' she begins helping out with the duties you requested.

Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Karlane nods appreciatively to Azonia, "Thank you, Azonia. I know compromise can be difficult." She offers her hand.

She carefully tucks the scrolls away inside her backpack side-pocket.
{OOC1: Not sure how this works... If Karlane studies Portal Trace on the scroll for a short while and then casts it, would she be able to add it to her repertoire of divine spells (Photographic Memory)? }

While sorting out the scrolls, the priestess replies to Lucien, "Yes, you're right, Lucien. I had not figured on your training being so effective in such a short time. I thought it needed a month. Honestly, I expected him capable of destructive magics and could not afford to take chances. Had he been rendered helpless, I would have questioned him later. Did you learn more from him?"

Unless they have in mind more to do down here, or there are rooms or areas as yet unexplored, Karlane leads them back to the bedroom. En route she says, "Lucien, I understand that I still need a month of training to solidify the technique you have shown me but on the morrow I must leave here and, as I understand it, you may not. I can manage on less sleep than most," glancing at Azonia, "Perhaps I could reprogram the teleport wardrobe and visit with you here at nights for training. How does that sound?"
{OOC2: How far is it from the assassin's den to each of Targos, Harby, or Higkor ? And how safe are the roads likely to be in each case?}
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

1. Yes, you can commit the spell to memory but will need to transcribe it within 8 hours then I would do a check at 1/2, failure means you forgot the spell.

2. Harby is right outside, Targos and Higkor are 3 days away approximately.