Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

** Part I: Fire and Ash **

Spike's homebrew 1st edition AD&D world.

Moderator: spike

SARRMATT
Freeman
Freeman
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: ** Part I: Fire and Ash **

Post by SARRMATT »

Whisper turned from the dead man and went after the nearest foe.
[OoC] Whisper will use fire elemental based attacks if he is still in that form. I'm not sure where the dagger came from as I thought he was stripped down to his underwear in the tent and all equipment was on the changeling but I can roll with he grabbed one from the ground or a body on the way over to the crossbowman. If he has dropped that elemental form then he'll attack as best he can the nearest foe with the dagger he has found.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Karlane drags the dead priest away from the teleporter and then pats him down, looking for anything interesting, such as the glove, or useful but, most hopefully, for whatever the priest used to open a teleportal (white fuzz).
She says, when far enough away from the teleporter, "Anyone got something like some planks full of nails? Or caltrops? Anyone any ideas how this arse knew I was here? And where the real ranger is?"

Having made sure that Whisper is no longer being attacked, Idrys goes to check that his sister is ok. He will confirm about the changeling.
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

Red robed cleric:

neck purse-20 platinum
snake head ring- has a hidden prick inside of it, the smell of snake poison comes from the ring
ornate looking mace, incredibly lightweight.
dagger (hidden in wrist sheath) has a snake head on the crossguards
unholy symbol
2 vials/blood
2 vials/unholy water
an old looking book titled 'runes' - skimming these they depict various runes of power and what they can do, when correctly written, and the power each contains. Some for protection, others for pain, condemnation, etc.
he appeared to be wearing a shirt like covering made of parchment with runes engraved on it. Most of the runes translate to protections vs. good.
has a sketchbook with detailed sketches of people's portraits, each of them with expressions of torment on their faces there's a note on the back of each of these faces, the first which reads: 'mmmm, this one was my favorite. I stewed her overnight in a bath of purified boiled water, salt, and many rare spices. Her flesh was sweet in death as it was in life. I devoured her so lovingly, it was as if she was born just to sate my infernal hunger!
a key made of white gold, with a heart engraved on it

When Karlene touches the key she see's a dungeon beneath a simple easily overlooked farm house somewhere, and in it are many girls locked away in cells, she sees another a young looking man opening the doors and dragging a girl out. There's something completely unremarkable about him, as plain as they come, you would overlook him were it not for how plain he appeared, how harmless. He looks and moves about more like a demented creature than a man, and has sharp long nails protruding at the ends of his fingers. He fetches the girl and brings her to this priest, and together they torment her for hours and finally, consume her.

You see the priest knelt on his hands and knees staring up at a ghostly visage of a man whose features are concealed by a shadowy hood, only his eyes glowing pale yellow in the dark stared out and he said 'Lomag, go and destroy these wretched upstarts before you expose all of our operations to them, they've become a thorn, do not permit them to become a threat! Your indiscretions in Harby have left breadcrumbs to our presence!'

One of the village natives burst out of a nearby hut and came over, 'thank you good sirs! thank you for removing these scum from Longhallow! They took our leader to the crystal mine beneath Harp falls, it lies but a hour march northeast o' here.

Drusilla: 'crystal mine eh? what worth are crystals that they should be mined?'

villager: 'these crystals explode when certain vibrations are applied to them, the kind that any gifted minstrel can effect. Not big explosions, but the force is useful in mining operations. Nobody knows why they explode as they do. They're beloved by weapon makers who fit them onto arrows, the sound of the arrows then detonate the crystals apparently. Not too sure how that works'
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Karlane stows away the things from the cleric, putting the glove in her sack of 'Thing To Be Identified," thinking casually we really need some more 100GP pearls and then more criticaly deciding to keep the unholy symbol, 2 vials/blood & 2 vials/unholy water (instead of destroying them) in case she needs to try and infiltrate somewhere.

When Idrys turns up she listens to his story (out of earshot but within sight of the portal), and ten says, "Please invite Whisper to come and see me for healing and then collect up anything from those fallen, particularly the fake ranger." She then bids some of the others to keep a guard on the portal.

When the villager turns up, Karlane listens to his story (out of earshot but within sight of the portal), and then "We may be able to help, but please wait a short while until a colleague arrives."
She observes him until Whisper turns up, says, "Please hold still while I try to fix that wound." She then turns her back to the villager and casts two spells:
SARRMATT
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SARRMATT »

With the ambush ended and the ambushers routed Whisper makes his way to the remains of the changeling while dropping his elemental form. The mostly naked young mage speaks words of nonsense to cover most of the common sound patterns and just loud enough for himself to hear. He was attempting to determine if his ability to cast spells might be hampered by his missing teeth.

[OoC] DM - What of Whisper's equipment survived the heat? I've updated the character sheet with before combat stats and equipment so feel free to edit it. I'm guessing that clothing can be found or bartered for? Has the loss of teeth impacted the character's CHA score or ability to cast spells? I'd like to have the scarab(better set of eyes and some traps ability) and the PC investigate the tent where he was drugged/beaten to within an inch of his life for maybe more of his equipment or any information or items that might be useful.

@Chris - I've put the 3 items noted in the changeling post in the PC's inventory for the time being. Also as far as I know the transformation back from fire elemental is supposed to fully heal my character, so I think he's at 100%.
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

The elemental form doesn't affect Whisper's clothing or possessions.

Out of the portal emerged a tall thin pale faced man, if he could be called that. His face appeared withered, time worn, but 'preserved' through unnatural energies that prolonged a mortals lifespan. Accompanying him was a giant, perhaps 10 foot, gray blue skin and wearing an iron helm. This giant lugged a large war club it clutched in its left hand.

This being examined the fallen red cleric and shook his head in a brief look of disapproval, rolling his eyes in annoyance 'oh Lomag, I warned you of your foolish pride. Now look at you' then it turned its strange eyes at Karlene and said 'so, you're the one causing all kinds of mischief and mayhem, eh? You have the rare esteem of giving me some slight amusement over the course of a month now, since you came into the inner workings of my people's lesser frameworks of survival. I wish to...assist you in your work, if you would honor me the courtesy of providing you whatever resource you might require' it said flatly, emotionless, 'I am quite sincere I assure you, I have no wish to harm you

Drusilla 'a Malborrean, should have known! We should all kill you here and now'

Garosh: *yawns* then whispers to Idrys prepare your bow, pepper that giant if we fight, I'll take it hand to hand'

Azonia mounted a horse and pulls out her shortbow.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

While waiting for Idrys to fetch Whisper, Karlane asks the group's drow, Nym (?), to go and fetch another villager.
When Idrys returns with Whisper she checks him over. If damaged, she prepares to cast a couple of spells, otherwise nodding "You seem ok," and moves on to examine Idrys for wounds.

At this point Nyn (hpefully) returns with another villager for Karlane to be able to compare & verify the 1st villager's story (and identity). She is very aware of having encountered a clone and a doppelganger
in the past couple of days. More could be very possible.
Under cover of curing her companion, Karlane stealt-casts Charm Person on the first villager and then casts CLW on her wounded colleague (either Whisper if damaged failing whom, on Idrys) and then asks the second villager some questions to confirm whether he knows the first villager and to confirm details of the story and then interaes with the Charmed villager, seeking more detail. {OOC: @Spike - It's fine to shortcut this and just say the 2nd one provides corroboration and the 1st one still seems on the level, i.e. apparently not planted agent or doppleganger etc.}

At this point the Malborrean and giant arrive and Karlane turns to face him, "Firstly, would you share your name with me? Secondly, why would you wish to assist me? And what is it that you profess to wish to help me with?"

Idrys casually moves his bow to his left hand.

======
Sorry for last post - it got interrupted bu the early arrival of guests. I've tried to blend the unfinished portion of that your last GM post.
@Spike - Is Whisper fully healed? Actually who is damaged? Idrys? Azonia? Also, what, if anything, does Karlane know about "Malborrean"?
@Matt - Karlane didnt see the drops from the changeling. you'll need to tell her (later) if you want to, but for simplicity, just state that you want to do that and we can assume you fit it in sometime, i.e. it's permission for Karlane to be able to act on that.
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

Malborreans are thought extinct, they were supposedly destroyed a thousand years ago for starting the undead wars, and summoning undead armies from the abyss to try and take over the world. The undead wars lasted for five years until the armies were thoroughly purged.

They're a race of sorcerers and necromancers.

The villager's check out fine and don't appear to be doppelgangers.

The Malborrean says 'My name is unimportant, but you may call me Gori. How? Information on those who plot in the shadows and conspire against you. As to the why? Simple, you amuse me, and I grow weary of those whom I have secret knowledge of. You could easily destroy me right here and now, and I would relish that, you wouldn't even need to I could go and destroy myself if it was required, of which I was intending to do exactly that. But first my deepest wish is to topple the remaining Malborreans who lie in secret. Stirring up mischief and chaos. You see this giant, my bodyguard servant? I created them, that was my role, a maker of weapons. These brutish thugs serve the Malborreans as instruments of their will.

Now, you destroyed Lomag and took good care of that fool Karnak, but they were nothing but puppets for a greater master. The Architect and the Engineer, they are next up the food chain, and they serve the immortal council. Only when you destroy the council will your troubles be put to pasture. You've come this far, I'm here to help you gain an edge, depending on what course of action you decide to take'
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"Let's take a sampling," replies Karlane. "How many other Malborreans are there and who is on the council? What are the names of The Architect and the Engineer? How did Karnak make the teleportal* to here? And how do so many people know where I am?" (*Karlane is half-expecting to find a Star Gem in the red cleric's mace.)

Idrys continues to watch the giant, casually covering it it with his bow.
======
Is Idrys healed? Or..?
Did the villager get Charmed?
SARRMATT
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SARRMATT »

Whisper and the scarab carefully toss the interior of the tent that he was abducted in for information or items of interest.

Anything of note from or on the missing leader if this was their tent? Any maps? Any super awesome weapons etc?
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

"Approximately forty give or take' Gori said flatly, as if the very question tired him. He paused for a moment and thought on the question, 'The architect's real name is Lord Ezraek, an apostate of your own order. The engineer is known as Lord Change, he's a renegade Dwarf. Ezraek's a sly fox, cunning and a master of deception, strategy, tactics. His master is a master of traps, elaborate games he loves playing with his enemies. These two are also able to outwit and destroy Malboreans, even I have grudging respect for their talents, such as they are. Together they are able to unite their minds and abilities as one'

He paused and said 'The immortal council are twelve Malboreans that dwell in a chamber deep in the heart of cloudkeep. It is a castle they appropriated from a female storm giantess that once ruled there, she of royal lineage among her kind. They keep her for their sick amusement, and I have been repelled from aiding her, though not all my efforts were in vain. I wonder if this information has tickled your fancy, priestess of Lor"
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"Answer my previous question first and then I will answer this one of yours," counters Karlane.

======
@Spike - Did Karlane Charm a villager? And did she CLW on Idrys?
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

Gori 'Karnak's stargem is able to create portals wherever he can scry, but Lomag's apprentice had used it on Lomag's behalf. Who that apprentice might be is a closely kept secret, but I suspect it is someone in your own priesthood'

Charmed: yes
Idrys: you healed him for 4 hp, he's at max.

Whisper: : while searching the tent:

a trunk filled with miscellaneous armor, clothes, etc. Reeks of sweat and body odor.

a book filled with notes and some hand drawn maps:

the first few pages describes a ruins called Draxcon, when you read this word it strikes a sense of familiarity to you, but you don't quite know why.

The first few entries:

05: scouting team was able to clear the first level of the Kobold infestation, the dratted buggers breed like rats at a halfling festhall.

Second level successfully breached, five traps disarmed. Deeper in, a great door was there, there's a fulcrum opening coated with contact poison. Our professional thief was able to open it after succumbing to the poison our healer restored him to the living. Greeted by a horde of ghouls lead by a ghast, driven back to level one. Our cleric turned them when we got to the first level, but I believe there is a seal of forbiddance set on the door that leads from 1 to 2.

Level 3 finally after a week, is a maze with shifting walls and patterns. I count four pendulum blade traps that reset, four trapdoors, and a living slime stalks the maze in search of easy or maimed prey to devour and consume. Watch for it, it is nearly invisible and indestuctible, but terribly slow (thank the Gods!) I lost five men to it and our mage only succeeded in halving it into two forms of itself.

Also, four lesser vampires dwell here. They sleep upside down like a bat. We managed to destroy one, but the others fearlessly tormented us until our cleric drove them into hiding. Not actual turning, they were simply terrified of being destroyed somehow. Like they remembered who they were in their mortal selves.

During the ensuing chaos of battle against yet more Kobold patrols, I noticed a mystical white lion that appeared in the shadows and sent the kobold skirmishers running in terror. It seemed to guide us somewhere and then turned into a man, a princely looking man who was a ghost. He said 'why have you mortals trespassed in my house? Is it time for my involvement yet?' we asked him some other questions but he ignored them completely.

On level 3, there is an arcane crossbow which can only be fitted by a magic wand of some type or other. It is only used by a true mage, and ours used it to obliterate several patrols of Kobolds. It is a signature weapon of house Altradeaus, and as such it will not leave the place where it was dropped. One of our men is a Altradeaus, but alas not a true mage.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Karlane looks at the newcomer and answers, "Yes. But not without wariness which I will not attempt to hide. I will tell you that the cause of the royal giantess is on my 'worthy of help' list but is not so near the top."
Last edited by Chris1234 on Tue May 02, 2017 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

'She is merely a sufferer in all of this' Gori said, 'I understand your weariness, find yourself rest. I will be in contact with you when you are prepared to take the Malborean isle. However you will require my assistance in the taking, you see it is an isle that floats among the clouds'