Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

** Part I: Fire and Ash **

Spike's homebrew 1st edition AD&D world.

Moderator: spike

Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: ** Part I: Fire and Ash **

Post by Chris1234 »

"Time for the next appointment," comments Karlane. "It would seem that coming here was a fool's errand and I am that fool. I apologise for leading you here. If you choose to stay then thanks for your efforts so far and good luck. Otherwise, we're leaving now."

She heads back to the ship, intending to take the portal to go and meet the blind seer as directed by Lor.
Even if it was a wrong decision, it would be a good test of loyalty. Something to be valued for itself.

Idrys queries, "Are you sure?" and goes with Karlane without further question when she nods.
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

Drusilla: 'something off kilter about that one' she says, then continued along and put her arm around Karlene 'don't fret child, t'wasn't your fault'

Valtor:'I could use the weapons to outfit the Wraith and for my...little hideout too' he said.

(vs. wis) Karlenesuddenly realizes she didn't smell any human scent emanating from the fighter
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Karlane smiles at Drusilla and rest her head for a moment on Drusilla's arm, "Thank you, dear."
She adds, "Retain what you need, Valtor. Need, mind, not want."

As the realisation hits her, Karlane shares, "He had no scent. None. Quickly now! What are the possibilities? Illusion? Psychic projection? Projected Image? Undead? Possible motivations are what? Enemy deception? Manipulation by my opponenet(s)? Defensive measures of the ranger? Hiding the fact of the ranger's demise? What else?"

Idrys comes to full alert and scans for anyone or thing watching them.

The Lorian sighs, "I know he needs to grow a pair and seems of limited use, apart from that amazing beetle, but we may have to pull Whisper's arse out of here. Lor has need of him."
SARRMATT
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SARRMATT »

[OoC] I would like to try etiquette, diplomacy, and trade barter non weapon proficiencies in these talks.
Whisper reached for the cup of wine with the hand that had the silver elven pinky ring on it and used that hand to drink with.
"Thank you for the good wine and company. As for designs on the ruins you speak of there are none that I am aware of. The weapons shipment we deliver inconveniences a foe while strengthening an ally of the elves. Payment is unnecessary, friendship and information is sufficient. Besides the brash cleric we have fighters, mages, and a druid among our numbers. You have wounded and laborers that are taxed I have noticed on the way to meet with you. A brief partnering here could be beneficial to us both, though both groups would have to attempt to be a bit more cordial to one another." Whisper wanted to press the man about information about the locations of the two mages he sought and an arcane armorer but that could wait until they were on better terms.
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

Drusilla: 'no scent? Hmmm most peculiar!' she consoled Karlene with a tight hug.

Valtor: 'He could have on nullscent, typically elite assassins employ it to mask their bodies odor from betraying their presence'

Sarancen: 'bah, what matter does it make? Not every man smells as foul as an ogre. Perhaps he just keeps clean'

Azonia: 'no idea, truth be told'

Zym: 'changeling, or an assassin'

Meanwhile, after drinking the offered wine, Whisper found his speech to become slurred, and everything was a blur. He saw the fighter's form was featureless like a humanoid shape of liquid clay with milky white eyes. When you come to, you are staring into a mirror and see your face has been altered to look like the fighter you were just talking to.

Meanwhile, 'Whisper' was seated at a desk counting stacks of gold coins and most of your belongings lied scattered atop the desk. He mumbled 'you're a very rich man' he said, 'fret not, I've already enjoyed dinner. You're far from my ideal preference of meat, young lord. I can read your mind, mage. No use hiding secrets from me, I know all about you' he laughed and kicked you hard in the jaw, 'my master will be very intrigued to know you are an intruder in our time. It will be quite entertaining to see if the master will bring you to him', make you a vampire fledgling. Quite comedic wouldn't you think?"
SARRMATT
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SARRMATT »

"Mmmrmmrph..." Whisper mumbled emptying his mouth full of saliva and blood from the kick to the jaw. The young mage did his best to act as if he had something to say.

[OoC] What is the distance to this foe? Should it attempt to get into reach range or close to Whisper's face please pause action at that point in time. I would like to take my next action then.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

{ooC: @Matt - OK will wait for you.}
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

@Matt: he's a few feet away, you're tied up with some chord, in front of you, and your wrist is tied to your ankles.
SARRMATT
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SARRMATT »

Whisper's smiles briefly at his foe before opening his mouth wide and ....

[Ooc] I would like to engage the character's alternate ability, flamethrower option to engulf the changeling in fire until dead, repeatedly using the 10% option if needed.
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

AS Whisper attempted to summon power, 'Whisper' gets up and growled at you. You struck it with a tongue of scorching elemental flame that bursts out of your eyes (-10 hp fire damage) and it emitted a hissing shriek that betrayed its real nature.

The changeling grinned and kicks you in the head and you reeled back, striking the base of your skull against the beam post you were leaned against knocking you back and you loose two teeth in the process as well as spitting up some blood (-12 hp damage), 'you little bastard!' it said as it examined the damage you caused it in the mirror before you're rendered unconscious from its furious blow.

By this time, 5 men came at the rest of the party where they were at, and another 10 approached from the flank, 5 in the other two directions. Each armed in chainmail and armed with longsword and spiked bucklers. There was a leader among them clad in spiked half plate, wielding a gleaming claymore he fearlessly rushes the group with a fearless calm. Nym rushed to engage him saying 'this one's mine' to Azonia and Sarancen, who move to tag team the 10, meanwhile Azonia said to Idrys 'cover our flanks!' meanwhile Karlene heard a shrill voice whisper in her ears 'you might as well surrender, it's useless to resist'

Drusilla: 'windspeech, whoever said that. Strange, only Lorian clerics know the secret of that tongue!'

Immediately Drusilla began chanting and caused three men to freeze stiff who were fast approaching.

Before the thick of battle ensues, you see Whisper stumbling out of a nearby thatch roofed hut part of his body smoldering and blackened. He runs up to the group and throws his glaive at a nearby fighter, cutting the man down with the whirring bladed boomerang and snatching it easily out of the air. 'You're right Karlene, this weapon is rather easy to wield' he remarked and holstered the weapon, preparing to cast a spell.

What do you do?
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"I don't speak it," replies Karlane. In a louder voice she exclaims," Defend yourselves, all!"
She then goes stationary, relying on the mass movements of people to allow sight of her to be deflected and she relies on the Elvenkind gear to protect her from being an immediate target (plus the permanent Prot Evil).
Suspicious of Whisper having grown a massive pair, suddenly overcome his ingrained reluctance to use the glaive and Zym having cited 'Changeling?', she studies Whisper as the wraith-assassin taught her. Does she detect Whisper's scent (typically sweat and pee just before a fight)?

Idrys calmly pots with elven sheath arrows along the left side (assuming Drusilla paralysed foes on the right side) aiming from mid-point to away from Azonia and Sarancen. {OOC1: If we're using hit locations, then he'll go for headshots on unarmoured/helmetless heads.}
When any close to melee with him, he will drop the bow and pull out longsword and shortsword and dice the nearest and work his way along the line.

======
{OOC2: @Spike - What, if anything, does Karlane know of 'windspeech', including what is necessary to be able to do it?
OOC3: @Spike - Does Karlane recognize the windspeech voice, i.e. who is speaking? Or else hs she heard the voice before wven if the identity of the owner is unknown to her?
OOC4: @Spike - Sanity check on the foes' numbers: 5 from front + 10 from flank + 5 from each of two other directions + leader, so 21 total? Or is the 10 split into the "5 from each of two other directions? Which, if any, of these have been Held by Drusilla? And which one cut down by Whisper? Either a sketch map, or clock directions (with Karlane facing the 12) would do, including both foes and allies, with approx distances from the centerpoint. I have poor spacial awareness, and without some-such, I just get totally lost.
OOC5: @Spike - What are Valtor & Garoth doing?}
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

Windspeech: thought to be forgotten, extinct even. Those who possess the gift are bound to secrecy of its power. It's considered a special blessing of Lor, yet sometimes those who fall outside the order still retain it and never loose it. It can allow some to project their voice over great distances, and to cast spells remotely too. Some priests are able to send their voice across the world to random beings and contact them whether for aid or to pick their brains about a certain topic, or to perform a specific task e.g. go and help this or that person, go and hurt this or that person, etc.

3: sounds like the blonde haired decoy you took down when rescuing Drusilla from the slave pen

21 total: correct, the 10 are blockaded as Drusilla successfully held the 3 in front, and the rest of the way is narrow from the structures on either side.

Nym casts a spell and covers the five to the right including the leader in a web spell.

ooc: because Whisper threw the glaive doesn't make for arguable suspicion of his identity, yet, especially when you're engaged in the midst of resounding battle. He's not close enough proximity for you to smell, actually.

Idrys drew on his bow and looses 2 arrows, missing his intended target.

Valtor is getting ready to throw something and Garosh takes out a dual pair of gleaming longswords, twirling them around in a mesmerizing display of unflinching swordsmanship.

Valtor throws a vial and it smashes at the feet of five incoming, the ground slathers with a sticky foam and it holds them there fast.

Azonia throws 2 javelins into the spike armored leader to soften him up, he grunts under her deadly missile barrage even though his armor appears to absorb some of it. Angrily he slices the shafts of the javelins protruding out of his body with a low growl, 'I'm going to rip your damned head off, Esmyrian slut!' he roared.

Garosh skewers two of the five 'stuck' by Valtor's glue-foam gook that's coating the ground under their feet, ripping his longsword out of them he throws his offhand sword at the third one piercing him in the chest with a precision throw.

Meanwhile, another emerges out of the same hut Whisper came, the man from before. Yet he rips off his own face as if it were a mask to reveal...Whisper. His twin turned to him and pointed accusingly at him 'he's a shape shifter!'

What does Karlene/Whisper do?
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

20170415_181347.jpg
20170415_181347.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 6137 times
Attachments
20170415_181347.jpg
20170415_181347.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 6137 times
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

Idrys is closer to where Whisper is at, hiding in the shadows.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

{OOC: @Matt - you going to post for Whisper?}