Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

** Part I: Fire and Ash **

Spike's homebrew 1st edition AD&D world.

Moderator: spike

SARRMATT
Freeman
Freeman
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: ** Part I: Fire and Ash **

Post by SARRMATT »

Whisper takes the book and leaves the tent to find a senior guard in the local militia. He wanted to know more about who they were to find and who it was that the changeling had been when they arrived.
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

Whisper: you find a tall thin man in studded leather and a serious look, clad as an archer and posted in a tree on the outskirts of the hamlet.

He looks down at you and says 'The imposter was disguised as Osgilias, who is stalker's right hand man. Had us all convinced, but I grew suspicious because he was behaving rather oddly, giving strange orders and such. Had me jailed for questioning his integrity. Where the real Osgilias is I have a hunch he was taken with that last patrol came into town. They had a funny look about them, and I caught some speaking in some form of corrupt sounding elvish. Most men do not speak the elf-tongue eloquently, much less different dialects of it. They headed northeast o' here toward the heart ruins of all places. Why any would wish to visit that place is certainly a mystery in its own right. We here avoid it, there have been known undead stalking its grounds, and nothing grows therein'
SARRMATT
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SARRMATT »

"You have keen eyes and ears my friend." Whisper said in the high elven tongue flashing the man above him a smile. The mage fished out the journal from the tent and the small book of portraits from his satchel. He offered both books upward to the man on watch and spoke in common. "The Heart ruins you said? The name doesn't ring any bells for me, but I'll see if the others would be inclined to check them out while looking for Stalker. Say, are you familiar with any of these portraits in the small book? The changeling likely took on their personas, perhaps we can lessen the chaos it sewed here and abroad? The other book is one I borrowed from the tent that belonged either to the true Stalker or Osgilias. It speaks of a ruin or labyrinth named Draxcon. I only borrowed it on the off chance that Draxcon might be where either man was taken for it describes some of the dangers that were found on the first three floors of the place. Are there enough of the Longhallow militia remaining to make proper use of an arms shipment we were trying to deliver to Stalker? It makes no sense for them to remain unused on a ship when they could be of use in defending the families here. My name's Whisper by the way, what's yours friend?"

[OoC] If either of the PC's non weapon proficiencies of etiquette or diplomacy would be applicable here please attempt to apply them for me. So Stalker is at the crystal mines, Osgilias may have gone to the Heart ruins with a strange patrol, and a mystery person at some point went to a dangerous ruin called Draxcon. Do I have it all straight-ish?
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

The man rolled his eyes when you spoke elvish, then chuckled shaking his head 'I just said we don't speak much elvish round these parts' he said sarcastically, then 'I be Giltan Tradis, and if you seek revenge for some slight or other you have a bit of stiff competition...stiff as in their all dead and below ground. What am I to do with that book? Will it warm my bed or belly? Heh heh, you city dwellers are quite humorous. Aye, Heart ruins, why would you have heard of it? Do you know of every ruins of every fortress in the Black Forest Kingdom? Elves keep such sites closely guarded secrets, that is why you are ignorant of such. Especially you magic-users and your expeditions.'

It was then that Whisper saw himself clad as a thief similar to this man, Giltan and running through these shadowy woods evading a team of elite assassins dogging his trail. You see your rogish version setting boobytraps such as pits and snares, tripwires and false trails to give them the slip. The vision fades.

As he previewed the sketchbook he tossed it back to you 'nope, can't say I be knowing any of these sods, good looking folk. Pity they shared the same end. I wouldn't be too hard on the boys round here, they are blindingly loyal to Osgilliath. As for me, I'm a lover not a fighter'
SARRMATT
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SARRMATT »

"Well Giltan, your keen eyes and ears have earned you dinner and drinks on me after your watch is up. Can you draw or point me to someone who can give me a map of the area? I believe I've overheard a crystal mine, this Heart ruins, Draxcon, and maybe another labyrinth whose name escapes me at the moment. Getting to these places quickly and avoiding the most likely dangers would help us return your wayward friends alive." Whisper smiles warmly and prepares to make good on his payment to the militia watchman.

[OoC] I'll cross off 10gp for the information payment, or more if needed. I'm thinking the character's having a reliable map would be worthwhile if they set off after Stalker, Osgilliath, or one of the other options. Whisper when done talking with Giltan will seek out the others and inform them of what he has uncovered.
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

@Chris: I overwrote one of your double posts, check back in the thread to see what Gori said to Karlene in response.

Giltan pointed to himself with a throwing dagger he had in hand, 'Aye, that's me, not much to it, mage. See these woods? They stretch endlessly eastward and north. Heart ruins are easy to find, the elves have runes engraved in rocks and trees marking the paths, so if you read as well as you speak elvish you shouldn't be too lost. Unless you're one of those crazies who frolick in the woods butt naked worshiping the moon and the stars.

He leaped down from the tree, and even his fall made no noise, 'Supper and drinks? I don't need a buddy, I need something else. I can use a healthy supply of chocolate and potions of seduction. My previous supplier was overcome with a sudden case of death, darn fool went out looking for spell components in the dark elf lands. There's a rather beautiful lady in Maiden Rock, it's a insignificant village barely an hour hike along the snake river. The girl whose a looker is intent on marrying the village elder's son, a snot nose perfumed dandy. She's smitten with him, and I need to change that' he sighed and said 'Bollocks, Benito just had to go looking for spell components in the blasted drow lands of all places. Anyway, yes Draxcon, that will definitely cost you a meal and some drink if you're planning an expedition there. And I've some useful nuggets of information you will require, which will also cost a bit of coin. Not out of greed, but I went out of my way to procure such, and such is me bread and butter'
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Karlane nods nods at the mention of the Malborean isle and then flicks a glance at Drusilla and asks, “How does all of this sound to you?”

After hearing Drusilla’s reply, the dampire focuses back on Gori. “You have offered to provide whatever resource I require. Really? Well let’s see about some information to start..” She waits for a reply to each question before proceeding:

“Why do you wish to topple the remaining Malborreans ?”
“Where is Karnak’s farmhouse?”
Indicating the fallen red-robed priest, “I have encountered clones and changelings before, so was this truly Karnak?” (Actually she recognised the red-robed mage as Ariarkriss, an ex-LoLorian priest.)
“Who was it that said through the portal to this red-robed priest 'Kill them you overpaid lickspittles!'?”
“Where does the other end of this portal lead to?”
“Why would Lomag’s apprentice be allowed to use Karnak’s stargem?”
“And where is Karnak’s stargem?”
She describes the ‘ghostly visage of a man whose features are concealed by a shadowy hood, only his eyes glowing pale yellow in the dark’ and asks “Who was this?”
“Why can so many people still seem to be to find me despite having some shielding? Is this something you can advise on?”
“How many items can you Identify right now?”
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

Karlane nods nods at the mention of the Malborean isle and then flicks a glance at Drusilla and asks, “How does all of this sound to you?”

Drusilla: 'it...sounds incredible, it sounds strange, but a beautiful sort of strange, you have some peculiar luck here, time to lay claim to it'

After hearing Drusilla’s reply, the dampire focuses back on Gori. “You have offered to provide whatever resource I require. Really? Well let’s see about some information to start..” She waits for a reply to each question before proceeding:

“Why do you wish to topple the remaining Malborreans ?”

Gori: '[/b]They are a useless lot, and some of them already destroy themselves out of sheer boredom with life, as though living were beneath them somehow. Our decadence has costed countless innocent lives to sustain, and we've become vampires, far worse. We ruled once, aeons ago and should have perished then as is right. I am merely doing what should have been done thousands of years ago'

“Where is Karnak’s farmhouse?”

'I haven't the foggiest clue, nor would I. However, the assassin you installed in his place would'

Indicating the fallen red-robed priest, “I have encountered clones and changelings before, so was this truly Karnak?” (Actually she recognised the red-robed mage as Ariarkriss, an ex-LoLorian priest.)

'No, it is not. It is Lomag, in the flesh'

“Who was it that said through the portal to this red-robed priest 'Kill them you overpaid lickspittles!'?”

'That was the voice of the architect, who used the portal stone to project his voice'

“Where does the other end of this portal lead to?”

'sorcerer's isle, the floating island I spoke to you of. The one I wish you to invade and destroy, and once purged, use as your own base if you so desire'

“Why would Lomag’s apprentice be allowed to use Karnak’s stargem?”

'Lomag and Karnak are staunch supporters of each other, if Lomag's apprentice was using it there was a reason only the two would know the truth concerning. I was not privy to their deeper counsels'

“And where is Karnak’s stargem?”

'Your assassin friend is in possession of it'

She describes the ‘ghostly visage of a man whose features are concealed by a shadowy hood, only his eyes glowing pale yellow in the dark’ and asks “Who was this?”

'The architect, or the engineer, either or'

“Why can so many people still seem to be to find me despite having some shielding? Is this something you can advise on?”

'The gems you carry radiate a powerful dweomer, especially when joined together! Easy to track by way of escrying their distinctive power. Aye, conceal them in a lead box'

“How many items can you Identify right now?”

'I can identify anything I touch, so long as their aura's are not too terribly tainted' Gori responded.
SARRMATT
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SARRMATT »

"Oh, um... I guess ... a guide is better then a map. Come, my allies are over here. I am familiar with charm magics Giltan but to what end do you desire such thing? Something to soften the mind and lower inhibitions for a night or up to a day is cheaper and faster to produce then something that will ensorcel the mind for years or a lifetime. Far costlier yet is an item that will enhance your appearance while also granting you the ability strongly charm others. So how deep are your pockets friend?" Whisper asked as he began walking back towards the group with their new Longhallow/wilderness guide.

[OoC] DM - I'd like to use my non weapon proficiencies of tactics of magic and spellcraft to have my PC make a wild ass guess at how to cook up whatever brew Giltan describes. I'm not looking for it to work(I don't even know if the PC can make a potion) just a rough guess at time, resources needed, cost, typical sale price (I have appraising),etc... I'd then like to use Trader/Barterer to attempt to strike a deal that is more beneficial for the PC then it is Giltan, is that a roll off or something? I'd be willing to even sell/negotiate for the unidentified ring with runes of charisma and charm on it for say 4000 gp or equivalent value should he want or be able to afford the ultra deluxe solution.
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

Giltan: 'the applications of such elixirs is many, and my own purposes. You've been told my requirement, what further details do you actually even need? My ends are of no concern to any but me. Do yourself a favor my friend, out here worry about what needs worrying about, and the ambition of a man should be least on your list. Take for example you being here, away from your companions. Do you think yourself prepared for such? Let's see how smart you are. Three drow elves come out of those shrubs right there, oh you spent your burning hands spell. You fire your magic missile at the first, and it fizzles since drow are resistant to magic. So, you'd best grow some better smarts than wandering around, alone out here. This isn't the city, there is no watch'
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

{OOC: Very nice post, thank Spike. I will overwrite here when I get back from work. Whisper is out of sight of the rest of the party, correct? Can anyone else in the party hear his conversation? Or would he have to shout to be heard?}

Edited (12th May 23.15):
On hearing Gori's remark about Identifying by touch, Karlane shows visible surprise and then recovers, again asking questions and waiting for an answer to each before continuing with the next:

"So this portal was created by Lomag's apprentice using Karnak’s star gem and it's in the possession of the person I placed in his tower, correct?”
"If so, when was this portal put in place?"
"What is the 'portal stone' that the architect used to project his voice?"
"What would I have to do to be able to Identify items by touch in the manner that you say you can?"

After the last answer, she says, "I would like you to walk with me and Identity some things? And, befre I forget, you asked whatever resource I need, well it's an Amulet of Proof Agaisnt Detection, a lead box and then some means of communicating with you."

At this point a middle aged man came out of an adjoining hut and, amongst other things, talks to Garosh.
Karlane makes a token bow to Gori, "Please excuse me, but wait a short while and we can finish our conversation."
She turns to meet the latest newcomer, possibly the ranger, but never turning her back on Gori, and requests Garosh, "Perhaps introduction, please?" and courtesies to the newcomer.
Last edited by Chris1234 on Fri May 12, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SARRMATT
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SARRMATT »

Whisper immediately sees through Giltan's gambit for what it was, an inability to afford the thing he desired. The mage fished out three platinum coins and passed them to Giltan. "Here you are friend. Enough for a fine meal, drink, and a large bottle if not a jug of the magical elixir you have described. Good day." Whisper disappears from Giltan's sight and leaves to find his companions.

Whisper casts invisibility and makes his way back to the party.
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

Whisper moved away, plucked an eyelash and encased it in some gum then chanted beneath his breath, he saw his flesh fade from view.

'Did you see that?!' a nearby gawker carrying a stack of sticks said in shock to his son. The boy was wide eyed and smiled to himself.

As Karlene was talking to Gori, a middle aged man came out of an adjoining hut, he looked distinguished and dignified, carried himself with an air of authority. His beard and hair are snow white and his narrow eyes seemed to sparkle with a inner smile, as if all was aright with the world, 'What's all this blasted commotion going on out here? What in blazes?' he looked down and saw the bodies of the slain, then turned to two of his aides and said 'get these streets cleaned up, dump all of these bodies in the hills outside town, burn them in a pile. Make sure that drunkard priest says something worth saying'

When he laid eyes on Gori he drew his longsword and advanced on him, even though the grey skinned giant loomed above him. Gori outstretched a hand and said 'peace, warrior, I am no threat, and I wish you no harm. On the contrary I'm here to be of some service' he unleashed magic and out came an unseen servant that gathered all the bodies onto a wagon, and lifted said wagon away.

Valtor, Garosh, and Nym came forward, followed by Azonia in the rear. The white haired fighter said 'Garosh! What are you doing out here!? I can't say that I'm surprised only you would find yourself in the strangest places at the oddest times, but I'm glad you're here' to which the blonde haired fighter said 'Uhm, you know important work, always important right lads? Yes yes, now, I can stand a bit o' bacon and some good cold wine, this priestess has made more use of my sword than the duke has in little time.'
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

Gori 'you cannot by the same way that I can, however dhampir have the talent of reading the histories and secrets of items by way of touch. I do not know when the portal was made, but other stargems have different capabilities than yours. Some can create randomly opening portals set at different times, and set to close at different times. Portal stone is the stargem, I only call them portal stones.' he said, then 'you test me, priestess. You and I know full well the secrets of creating such a amulet is under lock and key by your brethren. I know of one, but it exists in the shadus plane. That is a plane that is a sort of bridge between the prime material and the celestial ones.'

Chris1234 wrote:{OOC: Very nice post, thank Spike. I will overwrite here when I get back from work. Whisper is out of sight of the rest of the party, correct? Can anyone else in the party hear his conversation? Or would he have to shout to be heard?}

Edited (12th May 23.15):
On hearing Gori's remark about Identifying by touch, Karlane shows visible surprise and then recovers, again asking questions and waiting for an answer to each before continuing with the next:

"So this portal was created by Lomag's apprentice using Karnak’s star gem and it's in the possession of the person I placed in his tower, correct?”
"If so, when was this portal put in place?"
"What is the 'portal stone' that the architect used to project his voice?"
"What would I have to do to be able to Identify items by touch in the manner that you say you can?"

After the last answer, she says, "I would like you to walk with me and Identity some things? And, befre I forget, you asked whatever resource I need, well it's an Amulet of Proof Agaisnt Detection, a lead box and then some means of communicating with you."

At this point a middle aged man came out of an adjoining hut and, amongst other things, talks to Garosh.
Karlane makes a token bow to Gori, "Please excuse me, but wait a short while and we can finish our conversation."
She turns to meet the latest newcomer, possibly the ranger, but never turning her back on Gori, and requests Garosh, "Perhaps introduction, please?" and courtesies to the newcomer.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Idrys continues to cover the giant, albeit in a relaxed-seeming manner.

Kalrane persists with, "And when is it appropriate that I should seek to acquire that item? And what has stopped you from acquiring it already?"

======
{OOC: Will wait for either Whisper to turn up or Garroth to pick up the conversation}