Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Scarlor OOC thread

Spike's homebrew 1st edition AD&D world.

Moderator: spike

spike
Marshall
Marshall
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Scarlor OOC thread

Post by spike »

Nope, the changeling mimics those personal effects and doesn't bother with actual material possessions or theft.

He still has pretty much all of his 'stuff' which was scattered about on a table (mostly weapons + spell components).
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

@Spike -What time is it?
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

12ish pm.
SARRMATT
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SARRMATT »

Since my character is a minor one to the story at this point I do not know where to and when the group will move out. Chris's character has the lead in the group and was in negotiations as to where the lot of the group was headed next. If I had my say a small group would go to the Heart's ruins with Whisper first to see of the right hand man could be freed and used in aid to the main captive, Stalker. I'm open on what to do next.

Also is it about 1 more day until Whisper should read the note?
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

I will post tonight.
I was a bit overcome with the rapid succession of "must do" plot lines. Approx 12 or so in something over 1 game day.
Simply, I just dont have enough spell slots to cover that number of plots in that period of time, nit to mention party healing capability per day.
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

Chris1234 wrote:I will post tonight.
I was a bit overcome with the rapid succession of "must do" plot lines. Approx 12 or so in something over 1 game day.
Simply, I just dont have enough spell slots to cover that number of plots in that period of time, nit to mention party healing capability per day.
Thus why Karlene is a multi class so she doesn't have to rely solely on clerical spells. Also, utilizing the npc's is a means for both of you to survive and get through difficult spots with less resources than usual.
SARRMATT
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SARRMATT »

Do the PC's need food/water etc... for travel? I don't have anything on my character sheet so if it is needed can we say that my guy got enough for travel + 3 days extra? Also can I find 10 lbs of candies for Valtor?
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

Barg gives the party 2 days of standard rations and water. He says 'if you run low on provisions, you city dwellers might turn to your Elsmyrian companion if you're unskilled in survival. There's food in the wild to be had. Wild stag, boar, elk, or rabbit, plenty o' water streams filled with fish'

Try as he might, Whisper found no candy. The locals eat fruit in lieu of artificial sweets.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

@Spike – This campaign has the potential to be something really special. Three things stand out strongly in my mind: 1) novel but well defined & interesting races; 2) dramatic scene setting; 3) the intrigue arising from multi-layered & interwoven plots. There are some things working against it though. Again three things stand out strongly in my mind: a) it’s set out as 1st Ed AD&D but significant deviations from RAW occur without players being aware [e.g. Assassination, RAW needs successful stealth approach, with surprise & success on assassination table. As played it seems to require none of these other than GM whim that an NPC has died]; b) Entirely new stuff introduces into the game world without players being aware [e.g. stargems, explosive powder, dwarven magic batteries. Explanations only available after I asked]; c) Forced pace [we’ve talked about this several times. It’s like reading a very good book and the author jumps you from the middle of one chapter to the start of the next, and then keeps doing that. It’s jarring and unsatisfying.]
The above is a context for what I’m about to say. This:
spike wrote:fyi when you returned you see that hes gone but a little girl hands you a note and says 'when you've finished your affairs, you will find me at this location' he has drawn a hasty map to a castle on an island directly 5 miles south of Longhallow in the Dark Elf Lands.
had an extremely negative impact on me. A conversation that was important (and thrust on the PC by the GM) was interrupted by another conversation (also thrust on the PC by the GM). Neither was allowed to be completed by the PC. I worked hard to address four of the plot lines presented in a single game day (against a timer set by the GM’s plots, which is fine) but the removal of control is unbearable. Halfway through one conversation my PC is suddenly 10 minutes up the road. And the other conversation was as per the quote above.

Forced pace is still the major issue. Do you intend to try and address this?
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

You already inserted a placeholder did you not to retroactively converse with Gori? If Gori opted to leave, it wasn't to spur/advance things along. It was because that was his reaction. I didn't actually force you to have a conversation with Gori, your character spoke to him of her own free will. You could have simply attacked and killed him and been done with it.

Sorry if it upset you, but it isn't outside the scope of possibility that the Maldorean left and in the manner in which he did. It wasn't to dissuade you from communicating with him.

If it's too problematic for you let me know, we can always call it a day and what have you.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Sure, I know a GM can generally justify anything.
The issue is the pace that you force, moving scenes on at your whim before the players have finished exploring it to their satisfaction. And it's not 'just me' since others have previous departed for this reason.

So, let's ask again, do you intend to try and address the forced pace issue?
SARRMATT
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SARRMATT »

We could try something along the lines of what Chris did. Player posts a "HOLD" post out there and within the next 1-2 days the player responsible for putting the HOLD needs to post/resolve/ask questions. If they don't then the action can continue/resolve with logical previous inputs so as not to hold up the game. The other players can probably respect the HOLD post and not advance the action or do minor side things like "find out info from the town guard, buy 40 arrows and a sack, or get an ale from the local tavern"...

Just a thought...
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

Just going to terminate the game hence forth. Thanks for playing guys. Too many obligations.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Welcome. Thanks too.
Cheers Matt!

PS: If you decide to resume but with a more player-driven pace then I'm still very interested.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

I'll move this forum into Completed Games soon. If you ever decide you want to resume, Spike, let me know and I'll move it back.