Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Scarlor OOC thread

Spike's homebrew 1st edition AD&D world.

Moderator: spike

Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Scarlor OOC thread

Post by Chris1234 »

Perfect. TY v much.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

SARRMATT wrote:...I believe that those of us who can cast spells have burned through some of our resources. ...Whisper put his two cents in as he's seen a few of the group's casters toss about spells and his most potent spells are mostly used.
@Matt - Hi there, just trying to help; I've guessed that you're not 100% up on the spell recovery mechanics for a mage. If you know, just say "I know" and I'll retreat. :)
OK, summary: 1st Ed AD&D Magic User has a number of spell slots for different level spells that he can replenish each day after resting. e.g. MU1 has 1 spell slot for a L1 spell; MU2 has 2 spell slots for L1 spells; MU3 has 2 spell slots for L1 spells & 1 spell slot for a L2 spell; MU4 has 3 spell slots for L1 spells & 2 spell slots for L2 spells.
When spells have been cast the spell slots can be refilled the following day after 8 hours' rest. For 1st & 2nd level spells this must include 4 hours of sleep. The MU then studies his spellbook for the spells he wants to put in memory. This takes 15 minutes per spell level.
So, how many spells of what levels has Whisper cast today? i.e. since he woke up this morning?
And how many spells of what levels had he cast before going to bed last night?
SARRMATT
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SARRMATT »

@Chris thanks for trying to clarify this but it is more confusing now then ever. I've never heard of this sort of thing and can't follow the description.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

@Matt - I'll have a dig and get back to you.
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

@Spike - That's better than I could ever have done. Nice piece of writing.
@Matt - Recommend you have a read of the link above then talk to Spike (or me maybe) on whatever is still unclear. PS nearly done the "digging" - will post it shortly (doing it in Word).
Last edited by Chris1234 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

@Matt,
I’ve had a bit of a dig aimed at resolving your situation on spell recovery and also noting you’ve said a couple of times that you don’t have many non-weapon proficiencies.
Whisper is a Magic User Level 3 which normally (AD&D 1st Ed rules as written) means he can cast 2 off first level spells and 1off second level spell per day. Looking at the spell capability granted to you by Spike you’re hugely more powerful than that, having 3 off cantrips (“0” level spells), 4 off 1st level spells and 3 off second level spells. This appears to equate to being granted the bonus spells that a cleric gets (to be able to cast clerical aka Divine spells) based on his high Wisdom. In Whisper’s case, it’s off his high Intelligence and is for casting Arcane (aka Magic-User) spells. Never seen that granted before and it’s very powerful. Also, to cast 2 off cantrips normally requires giving up a 1st level spell slot. Short version, you’re doing very, very well here.

In passing, I noted that you have “Bracers of Thievery” and a “Cloak of ???” which probably doesn’t help you get traction on the game. I’m trying to fill in the gaps for you a bit here.. From what we’ve seen in the adventure so far, Whisper’s cloak is a “Cloak of Displacement”. That’s means the first attack in a given combat aimed at Whisper will always miss. Thereafter Whisper gains +2 to AC or saving throw against any directs attacks. (I think Magic Missile always hits, but you can debate that with the GM when someone fires a Magic Missile at Whisper.) [I think I heard that the Cloak might have some additional property, but talk to Spike; I don’t need to know.] Bracers of Thievery per se don’t exist in the 1st Ed DMG as written (not in the Encyclopaedia Magica Vol 1), but it is very possible, if unusual, to have the function of an item moved to a similar item. The nearest similar function I could find in the 1st Ed DMG are Gloves of Dexterity, which (for your Dex 10) adds +2 to your Dex, so becomes Dex (10+2) which they’re worn and allows the wearer to Pick Pockets and Open Locks as a 4th level Thief; (fixed at Th4, doesn’t rise.) Taking the base levels for Th4 gives PP45% & OL 37%. Dex 12 gives 0% bonus as does race (human) but no armour (Unearthed Arcana) adds +5% to OL for not wearing armour, so totals = PP50% and OL37%. I think you’ve got Gauntlets of Dexterity re-badged as Bracers of Thievery. [Talk to Spike; I don’t need to know.]

Now, human normally gets Common and additional languages based on high Int. Whisper’s Int 18 grants him +7 languages (1st Ed PHB as written.) it looks like you have a total of 6 languages, so you’re due for 2 more unless “…e via…” on Whisper’s char means something; (it doesn’t to me) or unless ancient dwarven (Dwemer) costs more than 1 slot. [Talk to Spike].

In passing, Whisper is proficient with a Glaive {Glaive: a Nyriddian weapon. It's essentially a foldable blade pronged boomerang that is extremely difficult to gain simple proficiency in, much less mastery. On each throw it returns to the thrower who must hit AC 10 to catch it. A 1 indicates failure to catch, but a DEX check at 1/2 will indicate you simply avoided its return and let it fly away.} We have one; it might be magical but have to check. Why don't you take it for Whisper?

OK, Non-Weapon Proficiencies – only added into 1dt Ed with (either Dungeoneer’s Survival Guide, p23 or maybe Oriental Adventures but I don’t have that). Magic User gets 3 initial slots then another at 3rd level and ones for high Int, so Whisper’s Int 18 = +7 slots, for a total of 11 NWP. [Most of the NWP listed in Scarlor are Spike’s home-brewed so you won’t find then in 1st Ed per se.] Whisper’s char sheet doesn’t list which ones, if any, are bonus, so I’ve assumed none of them are and you’ve basically got a huge, absolutely huge, bonus ability as per paragraph two above (Arcane bonus spells as per Clwric with high Wis.) Whisper’s NWP: etiquette, diplomacy, appraising, tactics of magic, spellcraft, navigation for a total of 6 NWPs. Building on these, if it were me, I’d try asking for: Boating (1 NWP slot, Wis+1), Swimming (1 NWP slot, Str), Boat-wright (1 NWP slot, Int -2), Direction Sense (1 NWP slot, Wis +1), which all fit with and complement Whisper’s existing Navigation, all useful and none are campaign-breakers. Also try for Alertness (1 NWP slot, Wis +1) which can keep you alive longer! Total of 11 slots. [Again, talk to Spike. He might say that you had some of NWPs as bonuses i.e. free but the extra spell slots cost you NWPs. Broad as it’s long. I don’t need to know.]

Finally, I’ll do tally up what spells you’ve cast and when. (Not yet done, got interrupted by my sidetrek above and also doing dinner.) Edited in:

Whisper appears to have arrived yesterday with the following in memory:
Level 0: Acid Blob, Acid Blob, Acid Blob
Level 1 :Charm Person , Charm Person, Chromatic Orb, Sleep
Level 2: Invisibility, Web, Web

From which he cast yesterday (pp44) Acid Blob & (p48) Chromatic Orb and today (p50-something) Sleep & Web.
The spells cast yesterday could be regained (memorised) today with 20 or 30 minutes. You’ve easily had that much time spare since we’ve been in the house. [Ask Spike to allow this as a retcon – just you “forgot to mention it” or similar.]
The other two spells (Sleep & Web) would have to wait until you’ve had another 8 hours of rest (including a minimum of 4 hours’ sleep), i.e. tomorrow.
SARRMATT
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SARRMATT »

So I have a ton of confusion after reading that link. Am I correct in this understanding?

a mage is required a 1 time 8 hour rest to establish a spell set. From then on if they require no changes to those selections at any point onward they have a base 4 hour + (15 minutes * spell level) + ..... to reset spells as wanted. If they wish to make changes they then have to rest the 8 hours to re-establish the default setting?

or

do mages just get spell slots per level that can be used to cast any spell in their spellbook like a cleric?

I apologize Chris if you covered that better in your lengthy writeup, I did not read much of it because it appeared to get into meta gaming things after the first paragraph.
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

If you picture it this it might help:

You are 'writing' spells into the slots in the magic-users brain, e.g. charm person, burning hands, etc. Until the spell allowance for your character is reached in capacity. To fill your brain up would require a appropriate chunk of time (could be 7-8 hours of undisturbed deep sleep).

Under the assumption there are 0 spells currently contained in your memory bank, you would first: memorize spells , then sleep 8 hours to engrave them within your brain.Obviously the higher your level, the more slots you are allotted.

Additionally you get bonus spells based on higher INT (e.g. for every point above 15) just as clerics do for high WIS. And, you can cast 3 cantrips/per day, which is a considerable advantage. So Whisper would get bonus 1 1st, 1 2nd, 1 3rd, 1 4th bonus spell for 18 INT.Only, you'd get say a 3rd level bonus spell when able to cast 3rd level mage spells.

All of the spells contained in your book are ones you know, however, the ones you study are the ones you are writing into your brain-slots. Once written, you can replenish spent spells with less time.

Clerics do not memorize spells, they pray in advance for them. They pray for power from their deity and then are granted said power within the restraints of their experience level. Unlike the wizard, who can lose all of their spells if rendered unconscious, a cleric would not lose their spell compliment.
SARRMATT
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SARRMATT »

The confusion I have is about spell recovery times in this game. Is it a d&d standard 8 hours no matter what? Or this odd 4 hours + spell calculation? If the latter how do races that require rest do this (non vampire kin)? I would imagine that penalties would start to set in.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

AD&D 1st Ed DMG, p40. 1st column "Recovery of Spells".
Whisper is a human so why not sort his spells out first.
SARRMATT
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SARRMATT »

Thanks so much Chris - that was much more straightforward and understandable :)
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

@Matt - Welcome; glad it helped.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

SARRMATT wrote:"Wasn't there something we were going to deliver to elves if we came across it?"...
FYI No, nothing committed. That was Karlane's first thought to build favour and put the weapons to good use in lieu of destroying them.
One of the 3 (powerful) prisoners that we rescued from the safehouse put a counter proposal to send the weapons to the ranger in charge of the forces to the south (tht effectively hold/secure the elves' flank.) Going with that as we need his help long term.

HOWEVER, Karlane plans to wait and see whether the elves offer help with ambushing the decoy. If they do, then she'll offer some (lessor amount) of the weapons for the elven kingdom provided the elves can take care of the transportation. Very important that we don't commit to that up front. It should remain an unspoken carrot which that will understand, being such a subtle race, and grow our esteem for being slightly subtle in return.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

SARRMATT wrote: is this trap dependent on the Karlane character and npc returning or is it good to go?
Karlane said she hoped to be back.
She did the ditances based on visual sightings but there is sufficient uncertainty in rates of travel etc for it to be impossible or guaranteed i.e. according to whatever GM wants (or rolls).
I'm actually waiting for Spike to reply to my previous 'Karlane' post.
I'll have a check later today to make sure I haven't missed a reply which is possible as there were two separate char adventures in the same thread (but now separated into two different threads).