Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Scarlor OOC thread

Spike's homebrew 1st edition AD&D world.

Moderator: spike

Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Scarlor OOC thread

Post by Chris1234 »

Thx for clarification.
@ Spike1 - Cloak of Elvenkind (1st Ed DMG 141) is 95-100% effective outdoors; 90% in buildings, dropping to 50% in brightly lit room; while underground is 95% v lantern or 90% v infravision or 50% v continual light...
Are you running this as above?

@Spike2 - I totally dont want to tread on your toes, but here's some thoughts from me. (I'll go with whatever you direct, of course, but this is something for your consideration): Now if a Priest of Lor can learn an Assassin's special ability (Assassinate) then it seems unfair to (players that play) assassins for it to be free. I'd suggest that it would only be available to such priests that already have stealth capability (and that's as a class skill, so Invisibility + silence 15' rad count be sufficient), so one is looking at cleric/thief multi-class (or possibly thief/cleric dual class). I'd suggest that it still shouldn't be 'free' but might cost one or 2 NWP slots or possibly a WP slot itself or maybe an xp penalty (to Thief class only) or some combination thereof. In a way analogous to Assassins only getting thiefy skills at level -2, perhaps priest (of Lor)/thieves should only get the Assassinate skill at thier Thief level -2.
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

Chris1234 wrote:Thx for clarification.
@ Spike1 - Cloak of Elvenkind (1st Ed DMG 141) is 95-100% effective outdoors; 90% in buildings, dropping to 50% in brightly lit room; while underground is 95% v lantern or 90% v infravision or 50% v continual light...
Are you running this as above?

@Spike2 - I totally dont want to tread on your toes, but here's some thoughts from me. (I'll go with whatever you direct, of course, but this is something for your consideration): Now if a Priest of Lor can learn an Assassin's special ability (Assassinate) then it seems unfair to (players that play) assassins for it to be free. I'd suggest that it would only be available to such priests that already have stealth capability (and that's as a class skill, so Invisibility + silence 15' rad count be sufficient), so one is looking at cleric/thief multi-class (or possibly thief/cleric dual class). I'd suggest that it still shouldn't be 'free' but might cost one or 2 NWP slots or possibly a WP slot itself or maybe an xp penalty (to Thief class only) or some combination thereof. In a way analogous to Assassins only getting thiefy skills at level -2, perhaps priest (of Lor)/thieves should only get the Assassinate skill at thier Thief level -2.
Yes to cloak.

Agreed, and it is only feasible if you have thief as another class, can backstab, and have some familiarity with a weapon capable of backstabbing. Clerics of Lor are gifted with a special power to learn certain skills of other classes because their God is the God of both secrets AND knowledge.

2 NWP's from thief. It requires 1 month for you to fully learn and master it, +500 xp in your thief class.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

fine for me. TY. Just didn't want to be unfair to Tristen.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

spike wrote:Boots of elvenkind: yep, you can walk on broken glass and not make a sound.

@Tristan: the first masked trident attacker was coming upon Karlene, who Karlene happened to command asleep. You want to pass up on an instant kill to move toward the second and allow the first to possibly have further assailed Karlene? Meaning, you were trying to engage the farthest one as opposed to the nearest who was more of a viable threat?

The second you will only be able to attack at the very end of the melee round. The one asleep will awake next round and further attack Karlene while you're engaged with #2 then.
That's part of the issue. I don't see how she put that one to sleep when she was targeting the other.

As it seems already resolved now, it doesn't really matter.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Karlane distributes 3SP each for her, Idrys and Azonia, handing the last SP to Erodan, and adds in her 5CP for him, "This can go towards your next drink."
She takes a dagger, "I could use this as a reserve weapon. Dagger and two tridents left, if anyone wants any of them."

======
Housekeeping:
10SP, a pair of daggers and two tridents from the first two masked men ..
PP (as slight of hand) TN55% [1d100] = 59 Marginal fail, so he may notice or may not.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

@Matt - Sorry, for no reason i can explain I completely missed your post saying the cloak was yours. Anyway, welcome to the game.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Hi Matt, Tristen,
If it helps, where Karlane is heading is towards emptying the place of information and stuff. If we dont do it now, we may not get another opportunity.
That includes the prisoners and need to get them safe.
We cant do everything but we can cover the bases best we can.
Thinking of using the Tridents to take the prisoners away. Probably as a number of separate groups.
The at lest some will make it.
Was planning to use the the 1500gps on the able split up between them so they're not resource-less, plus weapons we dont need.
if the woman dont have clothes, maybe give them stuff off the dead guards. not ideal, but better than no clothes.
We could do with getting the 2 named prisoners (the list of 3 that included the drow) off the farm, but we've got to be on the road in the morning.
Not sure what time of day it is (in game). - (OOC: It might well be that GM thinks we're not yet ready for the farm. Maybe that will show up on the clock and we wont have time to do the farm today.)

Anyway, hope it helps sharing the above.
If so, please tell me.
If not, that's useful to know too.

Your thoughts? Stuff to add in? Refine? Or just dont like/think is a bad idea?
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

Correction: the npc's (Jor, Garosh, Zor) are held prisoner in the safe house in Stoink. The farm is in the outer burbs outside the city-state Lor somewhere the girl says the location is secret and she only has scraps of information on its whereabouts.
SARRMATT
Freeman
Freeman

Post by SARRMATT »

I'll avoid the meta-gaming stuff, preferring to personally resolve things in game. My PC has no stake in these set of choices having come in when he did, so he would not have anything to agree or disagree with whatever is decided.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Migraine appears to have receded. Been in the grip of that since Sat night.
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

That blows, is that a normal thing?
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Hope not. Get them from time to time. Thanks though, nice of you.
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

Cool, drink lots of tea, helps. And spicy soups are best.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Hey Spike - all better now - just a bit of a cough. Had tea in industrial quantities. Seemed to help. Kept the soup to tomato or mushroom.

OK, moving on, doesn't appear that Karlane got to act in round 2. Didn't even see an initiative roll. Was that an oversight?
If she wasn't allowed (being a cleric) to use darts, then she would obviously have known but please clarify.
If she hadn't done anything, then it's bewildering how the bloke that just shot her knew that she was there. Not complaining about the hit; just saying.
(She started hidden (Cloak of Elvenkind) and was successful on stealth-casting and, unlike a fireball or magic missile, there's no visible link between the caster and the instigation of a silence 15'r zone. If there's a house rule that says if you cast a spell then you will be seen then that's ok too but I'd like to know about it. Might well be that they're the shades that the foes were preparing - one of them did cease to be here when, I think, Idrys killed him, so I could understand that. But if that's how it detected Karlane then it might be time for our spectral assassin to announce what he can sense.)
Finally I need guidance on how to respond to the effect of the poison. Is Karlane 'out of it'? Or affected as per a Slow spell? Or..?
spike
Marshall
Marshall

Post by spike »

Chris1234 wrote:Hey Spike - all better now - just a bit of a cough. Had tea in industrial quantities. Seemed to help. Kept the soup to tomato or mushroom.

OK, moving on, doesn't appear that Karlane got to act in round 2. Didn't even see an initiative roll. Was that an oversight?
If she wasn't allowed (being a cleric) to use darts, then she would obviously have known but please clarify.
If she hadn't done anything, then it's bewildering how the bloke that just shot her knew that she was there. Not complaining about the hit; just saying.
(She started hidden (Cloak of Elvenkind) and was successful on stealth-casting and, unlike a fireball or magic missile, there's no visible link between the caster and the instigation of a silence 15'r zone. If there's a house rule that says if you cast a spell then you will be seen then that's ok too but I'd like to know about it. Might well be that they're the shades that the foes were preparing - one of them did cease to be here when, I think, Idrys killed him, so I could understand that. But if that's how it detected Karlane then it might be time for our spectral assassin to announce what he can sense.)
Finally I need guidance on how to respond to the effect of the poison. Is Karlane 'out of it'? Or affected as per a Slow spell? Or..?
1, No, target was killed before you were able to launch darts. Also, explosive darts has a grenade like blast radius, fyi. You might have damaged fellow pc's (Idrys, Azonia, Sarancen).
2. Your casting of silence 15 radius reveals your location. Though you're practically invisible it is disrupted when you cast magic, just as you're momentarily revealed when under a improved invisibility spell. It's kind of like how the Predator is about to shoot you with his plasma caster, you notice little details. In Karlene's case booming voice when channeling power to the spell, and holding her holy symbol so that it exudes light.
3. These are assassin crossbow sharpshooters with excellent vision, their eyes aren't normal also (the monstrous eyes that Sarancen explained to you) so you can bet they have detect invisibility.
4. slowed, sluggish, but the poison is negated.